Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2013, 12:45 PM

Default MP 8.0.5 to PT 11 Various questions.

I'm thinking of updating from my MP 8.0.5 to PT 11. I've looked into it a bit now, and think I know the answers to these questions, but thought I'd get the second opinion from folks in the know.

I don't have to delete the MP 8 as much as download and install the PT 11 crossgrade?

My M-Audio Project Mix I/O will still operate with 11, right?

A question about Sebelius.... Are you able to type in lyrics using the Score Editor in PT 11, or do I have to buy the Sebelius software separately?

I'd assume I'll need to be downloading updated drivers for Amplitube, AutoTune and Massey plugs I bought?

What issues have arisen for folks upgrading via the crossgrade that you think others might be interested in being aware of?

Thanks for your patience and the insights .. richrdc
Old 10-19-2013, 08:49 PM

Default Re: MP 8.0.5 to PT 11 Various questions.

OK, I am doing the crossgrade from 8 to the 10/11 bundle right now.

In the installation manual for the cross grade, it says you have to remove all previous version of ProTools first. You can only have the version of 10 that they give you that is compatible with 11 on the machine at the same time.

You will need the ilok 2 (which they will sell you as you are checking out for $50). But it appears that you can use the ilok1 (from PT8) if you just want to instal the version of PT10 that comes with the crossgrade. I am going to do that first to get going before the new ilok2 arrives.

ASUS PRIME Z390-A / Intel i7 rackmount PC
Windows 10 home 64 bit
Pro-Tools 11.3.1
AIR Instrument Expansion Pack v2
WAVES Platinum plugin bundle
Tascam US-16x08 Interface
100% Analog real time monitoring 16x4
Yamaha 16 channel MG16XU Analog Monitor Mixer
Yamaha MX-88 / Novation XiO keyboards
Mackie 4-channel headphone amp
Adam A8X monitors
Blue / Shure, etc. microphones

Estonia 6' 8" Parlor Grand Piano
Yamaha Studio Drum kit

https://www.dc-choppah.com/
Old 10-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Admin Emeritus

Correct except for this part:
Quote:
But it appears that you can use the ilok1 (from PT8) if you just want to instal the version of PT10 that comes with the crossgrade. I am going to do that first to get going before the new ilok2 arrives.
The Pro Tools 11/10 license is a single "bundled" license that will only install on an iLok 2. You can't install it on an original "key shaped" iLok, so you would not be able to run Pro Tools 10 or 11 on an iLok 1.

Also, when doing an upgrade or crossgrade, you exchange or "surrender" the license you are upgrading (such as M-Powered) in order to place the new Pro Tools 11/10 license on your iLok account.

So if you do the activation portion of an upgrade to put that license on your iLok account, and you don't have an iLok 2 to put it on, you would end up in the meantime with no licenses at all, M-Powered or Pro Tools 11/10.

Thought you should be aware of that, in case you are currently working with your M-Powered license.

More about the process here:
Getting Started forum >
Sticky: How to Activate and Download Pro Tools 11
Sticky: Avid Product Activation Video Tutorials
Old 10-19-2013, 09:31 PM

Yeah, your're right!

I just tried to drag the PT10 license to my old ilok1, and it says it has to be an ilok2. There is some misinformation out there regarding this unfortunately.

Well, FedEx should be here with my new ilok2 soon.

DC

ASUS PRIME Z390-A / Intel i7 rackmount PC
Windows 10 home 64 bit
Pro-Tools 11.3.1
AIR Instrument Expansion Pack v2
WAVES Platinum plugin bundle
Tascam US-16x08 Interface
100% Analog real time monitoring 16x4
Yamaha 16 channel MG16XU Analog Monitor Mixer
Yamaha MX-88 / Novation XiO keyboards
Mackie 4-channel headphone amp
Adam A8X monitors