Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2009, 10:49 AM

Question Plugins, versions, and files, oh my!

Hi all. New 003Rack / LE 7.4.2 / iMac OSX Leopard user here.

I've been trying to update some plugins (namely Hybrid to try to get rid of the yellow-screen issue per some other threads). However, I am not sure which version of the plugins I am actually "running" in PT. I dont see any way to tell when the plugin actually runs, that lets me tell which version it is?

In my plugins folder on my iMac, I have a Hybrid folder, and several plugin files. When I take a look at the "get info" for them, I have a 1.5.2 which I think is the latest. But I also have a 1.0, and another one somewhere in between (not in front of my iMac now, sorry). And to make matter more confusing, I am using a Novation Remote ZeroSL controller, and the Automap Universal. I believe this creates some sort of wrapper for the plugins, and changes the file extension by adding an "a" (for automap) at the end. So, all in all, I have basically no clue which version is "installed" in PT, and actually running when I add it to a track insert.

Hope one of you gurus can help me get to the bottom of this?
DigiSupport maybe?

Please help!

Bob in NJ
Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Plugins, versions, and files, oh my!

Hi Bob -

remove any of them that arent 1.5.2. keep the one with the appended a for your controller as well.

take them out of the plugins folder and move them to plugins (unused).

-A in NJ

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com
Old 01-08-2009, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the reply barstool. So do plugin installers not typically uninstall the older versions first? Is this just a Mac thing? Is this normal procedure when updating plugins?

Also, does simply moving the plugin files to a new folder, effectively uninstall the plugin, or do I need to do something more? Like I said, im brand new to OSX, so this is all pretty foreign.

Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:57 AM

moving to unused doesnt uninstall it, it just makes it to where PT doesnt load it.

sometimes they overwrite the older one, sometimes they don't. just depends on the plugin.

for most plugins, that .dpm file is it. if you want to get rid of it, just drag it to the trash. some plugs (particularly VIs and plugs that have a 'standalone' mode) will install themselves the applications folder as well.

for hybrid, thats the only file you need.

i switched from being a long time windows head about a year and half ago. you get used to mac os pretty quick. :)

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com
Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 PM

The yellow screen issue is covered here
http://airvirtualinstruments.blogspo...ed-yellow.html

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the reply Russ. I did see the posts with links to that info, and thats what led me the upgrade. My question is really more about how to tell which version of any plugin i am actually running, and how to manage the various files and installation process on the OSX side of things.

I did run the upgrade, but it hasnt changed the matter. So Im wondering if PT is still running the older version anyway, or if the Automap Universal is somehow launching the older version? Again, I dont see any way to tell when you launch the app, which version is actually running. Do you know of any way to do this?

-rpm1nj