Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 05-18-2018, 01:54 AM

Default Do you let Windows run updates?

I'd just like to know, for those of you who depend on recording for your primary source of income, do you let Windows 10 run updates whenever it wants to? Do you think it's safe? Do you systematically make a system image prior to updating?

On my Windows 7 rig I never used to run updates, but apparently that isn't an option with Win 10.

P.S. Do we not have a polling feature in this forum?
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr

Last edited by chrismeraz; 05-18-2018 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:24 AM

Default Re: Poll: Do you let Windows run updates?

Irrespective of the operating system in use I would never let a computer do automatic updates especially if it's one that my business depends on. Especially Windoze. When I ran that operating system I found I could never depend on a restore point to get me back to a working state. So it was a full backup on an external drive that gets disconnected after the backup is done.

And I carried that over to when I went to a Mac. I don't depend on Time Machine (Mac's backup system) to do backups but rather Carbon Copy Cloner. My usual schedule is once a week on Friday mornings (which I'm doing as I type this - I have a separate machine for internet work).

There is a way to turn off Windows updates in Win 10. See this article (found via Google): http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-o...-in-windows-10

There is no polling feature on this forum.

QAPLA!
Old 05-18-2018, 08:19 AM

Automatically? No. I always create and verify an image before any updates. This is not just with Windows, but any OS.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-18-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Automatically? No.
Same here, however since I switched to W10 every new update have been completely painless and my issues with the ASIO and the sample rate are gone. I can even run PT and Windows sounds at once.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:40 AM

Now, I don't use Windows for audio like Pro Tools, but I still depend on a Windows 10 machine for other stuff. I've simply disabled the Windows Update service to stop it from constantly updating. = I decide when I'm ready. (I've disabled automatic updates for my Mac. Apple provides simple check boxes.)

There should be a poll system here. Maybe PTE can run one if you contact them?

Anyway, I find this thread some what of being a source for this kind of discussion:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=399030

Marcel Risberg
Production sound and audio post - ljuddesign.se
Enthusiastically sharing knowledge and experience at Stockholm Film School.

🛠 Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 · HD Native · HD Omni
🎚 EuControl x.x.x · Artist Control · Mix · Control App
🦑 MacPro5,1 · 12C24T @3.46GHz · 48GB · SSDs · macOS 10.13.6 (17G5019)
📺 Separate video playback machine
🥇 Covered by ZDT/TLC · Keeping DAW OS clutter free

Last edited by DigiTechSupt; 05-18-2018 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Moved new topic to new thread - "How do you create images with APFS?"
Old 05-18-2018, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Do you let Windows run updates?

If you have any type of regular weekly/monthly maintenance routine you can just Postpone Updates in Advanced options. You have up to 35 days update free with postpone. You can download updates as part of maintenance and then re-postpone for another 35. Less daunting than regedit, gpedit or disabling services. I do this once every couple of weeks on a Wednesday to update disk images and catch everything that came out on update Tuesdays. Defender updates can be initiated by right clicking the tray icon anytime.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:09 AM

FWIW I've been having no problems with any W10 updates including the latest Spring edition, which I forced to update after a complete rebuild of my W10 OS and PT along with many plugs following a botched clone experience (another story that I don't have an answer for). Compared to my MacPro box, which I use for my Sound Supervisor editing livelihood...according to Avid here I shouldn't upgrade to the latest OSX High Sierra. I'm an OS agnostic but in this case MAc is the iffy one that I'm holding back on.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 05-30-2018, 11:11 AM

Sometimes, Sometimes no, it can mess up a lot of things, and there are a ton of common problems with windows computers and pro tools
Old 05-31-2018, 07:02 AM

After many years as a Windows-only guy for music and professionally (non-music related), I switched to Mac.

One of the dealbreakers for me was having to give an important presentation using my Surface Pro and Windows 10 deciding that that was a good time to hijack my device to perform an update for 10 minutes.

In older versions of Window, one could 100% control the decision to update or not, and when it would occur. Towards the end of my time with Windows 10, I could postpone the updates to a point, but eventually the update would happen no matter what.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:28 AM

I'm still on Win7 so I don't have the problem, but it sounds like there are ways to completely disable updates. Here's a guide:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-s...lly-windows-10

I agree it shouldn't be this much headache, and it's annoying that MS has made it so difficult. But in addition to turning them off completely, another of the policy options is to simply notify for update downloads and notify for install. That should make it possible to schedule updates at a time when it's convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post
After many years as a Windows-only guy for music and professionally (non-music related), I switched to Mac.

One of the dealbreakers for me was having to give an important presentation using my Surface Pro and Windows 10 deciding that that was a good time to hijack my device to perform an update for 10 minutes.

In older versions of Window, one could 100% control the decision to update or not, and when it would occur. Towards the end of my time with Windows 10, I could postpone the updates to a point, but eventually the update would happen no matter what.