Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2014, 12:17 AM

Default Re: PT 11.1.3 Crashing On Loading - Potential Plug-In Issues

11.2 still has not got this issue fixed is there any solution to this? I have been stuck on 11.0.2 as it's the only solution and 11.0.2 is incompatible with some of my hardware
Old 07-05-2014, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
11.2 still has not got this issue fixed is there any solution to this? I have been stuck on 11.0.2 as it's the only solution and 11.0.2 is incompatible with some of my hardware
No such issue here. Never was. Then again I'm not running two different versions of PT11 on the same partition as the op which might be the root of his problem.

QAPLA!
Old 07-05-2014, 12:39 PM

I only have Pro Tools 11.2 installed. ONE version of pro tools 11 - I can get it to work only when I reboot I get the Unable to get 11.2 to launch after a re-boot
"Could not complete your request because No such file or directory (2) while creating "Plug-In Settings"." is the error.
I have "CLEAN" re-installed PT 11.2 multiple times to no avail. I can only get 11.0.2 to work.
It's not a permissions thing
It's not prefs/data base thing - it's a pro tools error
I even went from 10.9.2 to 10.9.3 with a combo updater
Mac Pro 2013 12 Core 2.7 64 GB RAM HDX2 with Sonnet TB Chassis.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:44 AM

I can confirm this bug.
After working with the latest version 11.1.3.325 and finishing a project it suddenly appeared.
It is a launchd daemon error, if I kill this process in the activity app, all is fine again until starting and finishing PT 11 again.
Maybe Avid is able to sort this annoying bug out. The launch demon resides in
/Library/Application Support/Avid/{01313D13-570C-4a5c-8192-2EFEA4EA64D5}/LaunchdDaemon

Cheers, Peter
Old 07-10-2014, 07:37 AM

Thanks, Peter for posting the follow-up. I'll check out the launchd solution.

As for having two versions of PT 11 on the system, I obviously don't know the exact ramifications of doing it, but the only issue I would see is that the different 11.x versions may override each other's preferences. Everything else should be contained in their respective application packages.

In fact, having 11.0.3 and the recently updated 11.2 on the system actually is resolving my specific issue. 11.2 is still exhibiting the crash, which seems to have to do with a corrupted database (my assumption). If I start 11.0.3 after a 11.2 crash, it tells me that the database is newer and will be rebuilt, after which 11.0.3 starts up normally (with the exception of the dreaded Video Engine errors). If I then close 11.0.3 and open up 11.2, it also rebuilds the database, but then proceeds to run normally.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:04 AM

- I analyzed the process in the activity monitor -
the process is linked to the Avid Core audio plugin. It is located in /library/audio/plug-ins/hal
After removing the plug in from this folder - everything works fine.
Good luck with my suggestion -

Cheers, Peter
Old 07-10-2014, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the thorough testing Peter. I may have misunderstood your message, but it seems not to be the cause for me. I have been consistently having this exact same problem (just one version of PT installed, BTW) but I don't see an Avid Core Audio plugin in the HAL folder. There are several other drivers - AIrPlay, Apple AVBAudio, BluetoothAudio, iSightAudio - but nothing relating specifically to Avid or Pro Tools. Could it be kept elsewhere in this OS version (10.9.3)?

I have trashed all the prefs of course, and I removed all the AAX plugins (other than the core set that just come back anyway), but the problem, as you and others have indicated, seems to be related to the s/w itself, not a specific audio plugin. Any other suggested workarounds?
Old 07-11-2014, 12:00 AM

The Hal plug-ins reside in the system wide library.
The alias to the launchd daemon process resides in the user library as well.
What about deleting the user settings.ini in
/Users/yourname/Library/Application Support/Avid/{.....}/UserSettings.ini
It is just a property list.

2nd. suggestion -
Create a new user with admin rights and start pro tools from this new account.

Cheers, Peter

Last edited by PVollmerhaus; 07-11-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:53 AM

Let me share my experience with this problem. All of the sudden this Could not complete your request because No such file or directory (2) while creating "Plug-In Settings" started to prevent me from working on my project. After trying everything that was suggested here and not finding anything in Avid's knowledge base I was just about to cough up $40 for the ASC when I by pure chance noticed two Macintosh HD icons on my desktop. Namely on my USB drive that I use for Time Machine I also have a partition on which I occasionally dump the contents of my MacBook Pro.

I sad: "... well it couldn't be, could it?" Not only it could have been, IT WAS. After ejecting the drive PT 11 mounted, obviously not looking for stuff on the wrong drive anymore. By the way, the PT 10 didn't care about this and worked just fine. Go figure.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:35 AM

"Could not complete your request because No such file or directory (2) while creating "Plug-In Settings"." is the error.

I did get this error a couple times, but only when I did a Pro Tools install and didn't trash the prefs and databases... and didn't power cycle my mbox 3 pro.

The error is not related to the audio device and its misleading because of what it says. But when i power cycled the interface and computer all was back to normal.

If you are getting this all the time... Maybe try and look for your audio device drivers, remove and then reinstall and power cycle everything.

Maybe that error comes up for multiple reasons but I only saw it then. Now with every pro tools update I make sure and power cycle my interface also not just the machine.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.