Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2010, 07:47 AM

Default Do Not Have Appropriate Access Privileges?! :(

O.K. - big problem: Upon opening up a session on an external drive that I executed "Save Copy In" I encounter this immobilizing error message: "You do not have appropriate access privileges (-5000) while opening 'NameOfTrack' ". The session will load and the Edit Window is presented as a large grey area containing no waveforms, grid, or horizontal lines of separation for the currently "visible" tracks. Playback and stop still function.
All other functions including simple "show and hide" of a given track cause the same error message.

Back story: About 2 weeks ago, I purchased this new computer featuring Mac OS X Version 10.6.3 loaded on the boot drive "Macintosh HD" as well as a second hard drive "Macintosh HD 2" (HD 2 for short). I used the migration assistant to get the PT application onto the new computer. Everything worked great and I was capable of reading and writing to and from HD2 as well as an external Western Digital drive (WD for short). All of my sessions were housed on the WD as they were created with the old computer. For a given old session that I needed to work on, I would use the "Save Copy In" function to get the session from the WD and onto the HD2. This worked perfectly back and forth, generating and editing session data on the HD2 and backing it up on the WD.
The problem occurred when a sharing user on the same computer requested a separate account. I created it and thought it was a good idea to open up permissions both ways so that both of us could read and write data to each others files. I did this using the "Sharing and Permissions" section of the "Get Info" window. When I did this, the computer crashed big time. I turned the computer off and back on - the OS wouldn't even load.
The next day I lugged the heavy tower to the Apple Store for an appointment with the genius bar. Ultimately we reinstalled the OS. A curious result ensued thereafter when a small lock appeared at the bottom left of the icon of the HD2 drive. Any attempt to even see what existed on the drive was blocked. The genius there said it had to do with the "flags" and could only be fixed through the Terminal app inside of Utilities. Here is the Unix command entered in Terminal to essentially unlock HD2:

chflags -R nouchg /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD2

Upon execution, the lock was removed and files on HD2 could once again be created, read, and written to. I got back to work feeling as though the battle was won. I reconnected and mounted the WD only to be stopped once again by the locked effect I had just encountered at the Apple Store. I executed the same code but replaced drive to be affected with the partition name of the WD.

chflags -R nouchg /Volumes/My\ Book\ Audio

This once again worked to eliminate the Lock icon as well as grant me access to load PT sessions and read and write to the WD. Coming full circle now to the issue I mentioned at the start - I can no longer "Save Copy In" from the WD to HD2. If I do, I will induce the problem described in the beginning. This problem has effectively disabled my ability to transfer PT sessions originally generated on the WD to HD2. This is a problem on many levels:

1) All relevant sessions are on the WD.

2) I am forced to use my back up drive (the WD) as my working drive for sessions.

3) I loose the speed garnered from reading and writing to and from an internal drive during session tracking and playback.

I know this length of post can be off putting because it makes the problem seem more complex. I do think that there is a simple solution just beyond my grasp and hope that someone can provide it. Thank you.
External Drives: 650GB built-in, 1TB Western Digital, 2 x 250GB Glyphs.
Keyboards: Axiom49, K2600
Control Surface: Digi 002