Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 02-22-2021, 05:37 AM

Default MTRX Studio and DVS Monitoring

Hello,
Just upgraded from HD I/O plus Omni connected to HD Native PCI to a new MTRX Studio system. I think I managed do understand all the matrix routings (the YT video on setup was very helpful, thank you) and set my ins and outs properly, I still have 2 big problems unsolved, will start with the "smaller one" . I assumed that I will be able to monitor my system audio ( tidal, finder audio file preview with space key etc) during my normal work in Pro Tools just by switching CR Source from Digilink L/R (PT monitor) to Sys Audio L/R in DADman Mon section. I set the Sample rate to 48 in Audio Midi Setup as suggested in the film and... everything is cool IF the sampling rate of my PT session is 48. I can flip between sources in CR section of Dadman and hear the mix I am working on in PT or reference track from Tidal over DVS (and the files in different sample rates ale playing correctly from the disk so I assume that some kind of src is working properly, as expected) . The problem is that if my PT session is switched to say 44.1 the DVS disconnects (goes red) and mutes the very moment I start PT. Dante Control tells me about mismatch and I can hear no sound coming from DVS. Can this be fixed? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-22-2021, 07:41 AM
Avid

Default Re: MTRX Studio and DVS Monitoring

Greetings,

Glad to hear you are making progress. Unfortunately DVS doesn't really have the ability to adapt to different rates by following another piece of hardware on the Dante network. Focusrite has this ability for example with their PCIeR card - if you were using that to route system audio - to automatically track the rate of another device on the network which is super handy. It would be fabulous to see Audinate add this kind of functionality into future DVS versions. For now, you need to manually open up Device View in Dante Controller and change the sample rate of DVS to match the rate of your MTRX. I would encourage you and everyone else to feed this back to Audinate and perhaps we can all influence better behaviors.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 02-22-2021, 08:14 AM

Jeff,
Thank you so much!
Great advice, hope they will make it better (automatic) someday (yes , will write to them) but with your advice it at least ...works! and this means a lot!
Thanks again
Robert
Old 02-22-2021, 10:55 AM

Hey Jeff,
Here's another one I cannot figure out:
My main monitoring set is a pair of ATC SCM 50ASL with two 15 inch subs. I can output the signal to them from the stereo monitor output using Y cables and dealing with LP and phase for the subs using the settings that are built in the subs BUT the filters and delay in the MTRX give me so much more detailed options so I tried to create a monitor set in DADman that would output 4 signals from DA outputs 1-4 and was hoping to use EQ and delay to tune them. My problem is that when I select stereo source (PT monitor or stereo system audio from Tidal) I am unable to make all 4 outputs play - cannot create Y cord in con window. It looks like every output needs to have its separate source - co I cannot feed L to L out and L Sub out at the same time. Tried all possibilities including bass management scenario with 2 subs but I can not make it work the way I need- 2 speakers plus 2 subs with separate eq settings fed from stereo source.... I start to think I need the only thing that is undoable in this system... please help :)
Old 02-22-2021, 11:25 AM
Avid

Here's one way you could solve it:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q3brh7fs6...5mNN7yJea?dl=0

Let me know if you have any questions.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 02-22-2021, 12:01 PM

Amazing. Will give it a try as soon as I get back to studio. Thanks a lot!
Old 02-22-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Greetings,

Glad to hear you are making progress. Unfortunately DVS doesn't really have the ability to adapt to different rates by following another piece of hardware on the Dante network. Focusrite has this ability for example with their PCIeR card - if you were using that to route system audio - to automatically track the rate of another device on the network which is super handy. It would be fabulous to see Audinate add this kind of functionality into future DVS versions. For now, you need to manually open up Device View in Dante Controller and change the sample rate of DVS to match the rate of your MTRX. I would encourage you and everyone else to feed this back to Audinate and perhaps we can all influence better behaviors.

best,

Jeff
Great point Jeff!
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 02-24-2021, 04:30 AM

Jeff,
Just a quick info that everything is working as a charm. Thank you for your knowledge and speed of response, you are saving Avid's reputation !
My MTRX studio replaced the previous omni & hd i/o and I am not looking back.
The only decision left to make is how to get reliable AES connections to use with my digital outboard. To my amusement not too many units to choose from for today. I bought Mutec MC-4 because I hoped it will be an elegant way of using the ADAT pipes ( the only part of MTRX that looks sooo vintage to me :) but it seems I would constantly have to flip between different SMUX config settings in Mutec when changing project sampling rates so I gave up and decided I will ignore the ADAT stuff and go Dante all the way. I need at least 4 channels to connect Bricasti unit and a pair or my in and out stereo mastering converters and ...the weird thing is that there is only one solution that looks "pro" to me : Focusrite RedNet D16R MKII. Yup it is too big and too expensive for my needs but I cannot find anything else to do the job hmmm . I could go a pair of AVIOs but they do only 44.1 48 and 96 according to their site. I sometimes get mastering sessions @192 and would feel funny to downsample them only because of the stupid aes dongle
If you know of any other working solution allowing to hook up AES stuff to MTRX Studio, please let me know!
Thanks again,
Robert
Old 02-24-2021, 05:24 AM
Avid

Glad you got it going. Always happy to help.

I'll keep an eye out for additional solutions.
The following would work, but again - only support up to 96kHz:

https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-4-dd.html

https://www.audinate.com/products/devices/dante-avio

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 02-24-2021, 07:19 AM

Hi Robert,

Allow me to chime in with some background info and suggestions.

You will not be able to find "small" Dante to AES converters that supports 192 kHz. The reason is that these converters are based on the Dante Ultimo chip which only goes up to 96 kHz. You should also be aware that many of these small Dante to AES converters use sample rate conversion between Dante and AES, and you can not always disable this. FYI, the Avio AES converter uses SRC.

As an alternative to the RedNet D16R, you could also look at our new Penta 721s (https://www.ntp.dk/NTP-2018/PRODUCTS/Penta-721s). This will do 8 x AES (16 ch.) to/from Dante. It is not cheaper than the D16R, but it has some other benefits.

In addition to the AES I/O, the Penta 721s also has an option slot so you can add for example an 8 ch. mic/line A/D card if you need more mic inputs on your MTRX Studio. The analog cards for the Penta 721s are the exact same that we use in our DAD AX32 (and Avid MTRX).

And the cool part about this, is that the Penta 721s is also controlled by the same DADman software you already use for the MTRX Studio.