Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2013, 05:18 PM

Default Unable to Locate Hardware - Pro tools 10 - Windows 7 - No Audio Interface

Just FYI, I have not yet been able to get fully into Pro Tools.

As it's loading the screen says DAE Loaded, and then it pops up a message that says "Unable to Locate Hardware..."

I am running a USB directly from my Korg microSTATION synth to my laptop so I'm not sure if there are any drivers for PT10 that need to be loaded.

I had my synth on and then re-started my laptop and got the same message.

I searched the boards for similar issues and one person said to hold down the N-key. That didn't do anything.

The same post said that there were some tweaks like manipulating the USB power management. Besides my main issue is there a thread that shows these tweaks for Windows 7?

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Unable to Locate Hardware - Pro tools 10 - Windows 7 - No Audio Interface

Pro Tools needs an Audio Interface, which the Korg is not one. You haven't said whether or not you have an audio interface connected.

Having had a cursory glance at the Korg operating guide, it appears that the Korg operates as an RTAS plug-in. This means that Pro Tools needs to be able to run standalone before you can use the Korg as a plug-in and as stated, Pro Tools needs an audio interface to be able to run standalone. This would explain why you're getting the "Unable to Locate Hardware" error....because as far as Pro Tools is concerned, there is no Hardware (audio interface).

This is my understanding of the problem anyway.

It would help if you provided as much info on your setup as possible eg. which version of Pro Tools, what audio interface (if any) etc.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 04-18-2013, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Unable to Locate Hardware - Pro tools 10 - Windows 7 - No Audio Interface

I thought PT10 did not need an Audio Interface.

If PT10 absolutely needs an audio interface then that is the problem.

I'm going to search around a bit and try to find the source I had heard that from.

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:34 PM

Take a look at this thread: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=311254

THis guys is running the same config as I am - Windows 7 and Pro Tools 10 on an Asus G73SW laptop.

The solution seems to be using the ASIO4ALL driver. I've never heard of this. Does that sound like a viable option? I don't want to install something just for the sake of installing it.

Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 PM

Yes you will need the ASIO4ALL driver. Very common actually. And very light on your comp. Don't worry about it. Pro Tools will always needs an audio interface. But with the ASIO4ALL driver, you should be able to use your laptops internal soundcard as the interface.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:26 PM

Ok the Asio4All driver sounds like it'll sort the problem out.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O