Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 03-06-2013, 05:41 PM

Unhappy mBoxMini3 no longer detected + phantom not coming on: is the unit DEAD?

Before I throw out my newly purchased (but no longer under warranty) mBox Mini (3rd gen), I would like to know if anyone else ever experienced suddenly not being able to reinstall the interface because Windows no longer detected it, or the phantom power light no longer turned on?

I've had this unit for a week and after an arduous day of troubleshooting to get it up and running, it was very finicky and the audio I got in PTools was accompanied with crackles. Yuk. Today, I was fed up and uninstalled it - but now Windows wont even detect it, and the phantom power red light remains off.

I spent an ASC support ticket on this and the rep seems to think its dead. At this time I have no other PC to try it on but I want to know if anyone else ever experienced this and if so, how was it remedied?

I wonder if audio crackling was the sign that the unit was slowly dying?

On a last note, I paid 300$ for this PT10+mBoxMini bundle so its still a good deal as the software alone sells for 700$. However, Im wondering if it would be worth paying 120$ + shipping to get it repaired...IF its dead. Is there a market for selling this unit "as is"? Maybe I could sell it for 50$ and let someone else get it repaired?

Thoughts on my situation? Advice?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 PM

Default Re: mBoxMini3 no longer detected + phantom not coming on: is the unit DEAD?

You are unlikely to have spent $300 on an Mbox mini and Pro Tools, you purchased an Mbox Mini and Pro Tools *Express*. Pro Tools Express is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Silliness like "yuk Windows won't even detect it" does not tell us anything useful. Not detect it exactly how? Exactly what does not work as you expect? You "uninstalled it", exactly uninstalled what, uninstalled how?

If you've been though this with support you probalby got the right answer, if you want to go over that here again you need to describe exactly what you have and what you are doing in a useful level of detail. Start with reading the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link on this page, and post a Sandra report.

Did you follow the driver install instructions and install the driver without the Mbox attached (e.g. you are not supposed to wait for Windows to detect the Mbox and try to do a plug and play install).

Audio crackling and noise has many passive sources, including improperly configured/unoptimized or an underpowered computers, and may have no relation to the device dying.

Darryl
Old 03-06-2013, 06:07 PM

Default Re: mBoxMini3 no longer detected + phantom not coming on: is the unit DEAD?

Hi Darryl!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You are unlikely to have spent $300 on an Mbox mini and Pro Tools, you purchased an Mbox Mini and Pro Tools *Express*. Pro Tools Express is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Nope, it was the "Pro Tools 9 + MBox Mini" bundle. Bought it off a friend. I upgraded to PT 10. He transferred his license to me.

Quote:
Silliness like "yuk Windows won't even detect it" does not tell us anything useful. Not detect it exactly how? Exactly what does not work as you expect? You "uninstalled it", exactly uninstalled what, uninstalled how?

If you've been though this with support you probalby got the right answer, if you want to go over that here again you need to describe exactly what you have and what you are doing in a useful level of detail. Start with reading the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link on this page, and post a Sandra report.

Did you follow the driver install instructions and install the driver without the Mbox attached (e.g. you are not supposed to wait for Windows to detect the Mbox and try to do a plug and play install).
See Sandra report below. BTW...
Installed and uninstalled with interface disconnected EXACTLY as per user guide included in the box. Tried with the drivers on the disk (1.0.6) AND tried with the latest drivers off the site (1.0.8). I HAD successfully been able to install it...until today. Today, it is like plugging nothing in the usb port. For the uninstalls, I tried the Windows uninstall from the Control Panel AND I tried using REVO Uninstaller Pro. I tried installing to same USB port where it worked before (3.0), AND I tried installing to a USB 2.0, AND I tried installing to a powered USB 1.1 hub. Nada.

Quote:
Audio crackling and noise has many passive sources, including improperly configured/unoptimized or an underpowered computers, and may have no relation to the device dying.
Darryl
This desktop is new, top of the line. Powerful... see Sandra report.

Sandra Report
SiSoftware Sandra

Computer
Model : System manufacturer System Product Name
Workgroup : WORKGROUP
Host Name : APStudio-PC
User : Alain

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Speed : 3.5GHz
Cores per Processor : 4 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 2 Unit(s)
Type : Quad-Core
Integrated Data Cache : 4x 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing
L2 On-board Cache : 4x 256kB, Synchronous, ATC, 8-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing
L3 On-board Cache : 8MB, Synchronous, ATC, 16-way, Exclusive, 64 byte line size, 8 threads sharing

Computer
Mainboard : Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE
BIOS : AMI 1805 12/19/2012
Bus(es) : X-Bus PCI PCIe USB FireWire/1394
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : No
Total Memory : 31.7GB

Chipset
Model : ASUS 0150h
Front Side Bus Speed : 1x 100MHz (100MHz)

Video System
Video Adapter : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (SM5.0, 256MB, PCI)

Graphics Processor
Adapter : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (256MB)

Storage Devices
M4-CT128M4SSD2 128GB (SATA600, 2.5", SSD, NCQ) : 119GB (C:)
WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 (2TB, SATA600, 3.5", NCQ) : 2TB (D:) (E:)
ST3250624AS (250GB, SATA150, 3.5", NCQ, 16MB Cache) : 233GB (K:)
HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS39 (SATA150, BD-RW, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 4MB Cache) : 7GB (X:)
Disk : N/A (F:)

Logical Storage Devices
SYSTEM (C:) : 119GB (NTFS) @ M4-CT128M4SSD2 128GB (SATA600, 2.5", SSD, NCQ)
Projects (D:) : 932GB (NTFS) @ WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 (2TB, SATA600, 3.5", NCQ)
Adobe Cache (K:) : 233GB (NTFS) @ ST3250624AS (250GB, SATA150, 3.5", NCQ, 16MB Cache)
Documents (E:) : 931GB (NTFS) @ WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 (2TB, SATA600, 3.5", NCQ)
Pro Tools (X:) : 7GB (CDFS) @ HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS39 (SATA150, BD-RW, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 4MB Cache)
Optical Drive (F:) : N/A @ Disk

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : ASUS 1E44h
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : T0 C5-62h
Audio Device : ASUS 1E20h
Audio Codec : Realtek Semiconductor 0899h
Disk Controller : ASUS 1E02h
Disk Controller : ASUS 0612h
Disk Controller : ASUS 9130h
USB Controller 1 : ASUS 1E2Dh
USB Controller 2 : ASUS 1E26h
FireWire/1394 Controller 1 : Avlab Technology XIO2200(A) IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)
Printer : Canon Inkjet MP530 Series (600x600, USB, Colour)
Printer : Canon Inkjet MP530 FAX (200x200, USB)
Printer : Adobe PDF Converter (4000x4000, Colour)
Printer : Canon MP530 Series Printer (USB, Colour)
Printer : Canon MP530 FAX (200x200, USB)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Network Adapter : Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection (Ethernet, 100Mbps)
Network Adapter : Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter
Network Adapter : Bluetooth Personal Area Network
Wireless Adapter 1 : Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter (802.11g (ERP), AES-CCMP, 54Mbps)

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 6.01.7601 (Service Pack 1)
Platform Compliance : x64

Windows Experience Index
Current System : 6.6
Old 07-26-2013, 02:05 PM

You know whats funny, I have had the same issue. Mbox mini just would not recognize one day and no matter what I tried it would not come back alive. The light was on but it wouldn't show up in device manager or anything. I tried every driver, usb ports etc but no luck. When it didn't work on another two computers I knew it was the device. What is even funnier is that it seems I have the same computer as you. I feel like the asus motherboards do something with the usb ports that kills the mbox minis slowly. I noticed as after I turn my pc off it has this ai charger thing that sends power to the usb ports and the speakers would make a hiss after the computer was off. I feel my Asus desktop was responsible for killing it, now it's not worth repairing.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquib View Post
You know whats funny, I have had the same issue. Mbox mini just would not recognize one day and no matter what I tried it would not come back alive. The light was on but it wouldn't show up in device manager or anything. I tried every driver, usb ports etc but no luck. When it didn't work on another two computers I knew it was the device. What is even funnier is that it seems I have the same computer as you. I feel like the asus motherboards do something with the usb ports that kills the mbox minis slowly. I noticed as after I turn my pc off it has this ai charger thing that sends power to the usb ports and the speakers would make a hiss after the computer was off. I feel my Asus desktop was responsible for killing it, now it's not worth repairing.
Thanks for sharing! In my case, it was a blessing in disguise... I say this because without my MBox failing, I would have never discovered the amazing Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP! I LOVE that interface! So I ended up selling my dead mBox for 20$ on Kijiji because I didnt feel it was worth sending off for repairs. In terms of Asus ports, only some of them have that feature you describe (I think they are some of the 3.0s)... I dont think I was using one of them. I think I had plugged in 2.0 to play it safe.

ANyway, go with Focusrite - you'll be glad you did! :)
Old 07-26-2013, 03:13 PM

I am thinking about doing the same. I have also bought a focusrite interface! The forte and its great.