Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2001, 10:01 AM

Default Switching Platforms

Has anyone switched from NT to Mac? If so, what is your story? Considering a switch of all 5 of my suites.
Thanks for any information.....
If you would like to reply off the NG,
[email protected]
KUBE FM, KBTB FM, KHHO AM, KJR AM, KFNK FM
Old 05-17-2001, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Switching Platforms

I switched from TDM NT to TDM MacOS basically because I wanted 5.1. I had never owned a Mac before but the transition was relatively painless. I picked up a B&W G3 and it seems to run my Mix+ system just fine.

If you are new to MacOS you might find troubleshooting system extensions to be a fairly lame and tiring process.

An example of this would be my cd burner. If I want to use Toast, I have to reboot with one set of extensions, if I want to use any of the apple software, reboot with another set of extensions, etc.

The Mac also does a really cruddy job of multitasking, but I suppose I consider that a benefit as it keeps me on task when I'm editing in protools

The only crashes I have experienced using protools so far were using it along with imported video clips for a bit of video post production. I think I was able to fix this with some new video drivers when I upgraded to OS 9.1

I would definately go for the apple pro keyboard and ditch the stock apple mouse and get an optical usb mouse of your choice. I use the cheapo 29$ microsoft optical with 2 buttons and scroll wheel. It works quite well.

I feel that the tradeoff of getting the latest versions of the software and plugins are worth the extra price of the Mac and the primitive OS 9. The bright spot is eventually you will be able to run OSX and that should solve lots of the OS9 drawbacks.

tig

Old 05-17-2001, 10:46 AM

thanks a ton. I am fairly competent in Mac world. I have experience with Audiovision and Media composer. I fully understand the extension workarounds..
thanks-
Kelly
KUBE FM, KBTB FM, KHHO AM, KJR AM, KFNK FM
Old 05-18-2001, 12:20 AM

Hello Kelly

If you are used to MAC, I just can say: do it, do it, do it.
I did it half a year ago and I really don´t regret it.
I´m thinking about replacing my PC´s in the office and my uncle is a PC dealer, I think this says enough.

Regards Wolfgang

------------------
Wolfgang Eller
SRS Mastering/Germany
WWW.SRS-Mastering.de
[email protected]
Old 05-18-2001, 12:40 AM

I did it. Now I enjoy having 2 machines. I use my PC with Wavelab and Sound Forge with CD Architect to assemble CD's. If I really get low on DSP or tracks I can actually sync up my PC to PT via MTC. When its calls for this I use Vegas.

It's very nice having much better support on the Mac platform. But unfortunately my G4's motherboard got fried soon after purchase. I got it replaced, and it fried halfway. I'm going to pick up no.3 tomorrow. I hope this doesn't happen again. A big problem with Macs is their propriety. If something breaks on a PC you just go and buy a new motherboard for just over $100. With macs you have to take it to an authorized repair center. A bit of a PITA, but version 5.1 is simply leaps and bounds over 5.01, and it's not out for NT yet of course.