Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2016, 09:10 AM

Default Re: 5.1 Interleaved Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccam View Post
I would love for some to write a simple program that addressed this. Keep us posted!

Ryan
Hi Ryan,
It isn't to address this - it just needs to be able to read WAV files in extreme detail. I could possibly do something if enough people need it - it's not a money thing, don't write software for money anymore but I'd only do it if there's nothing pre-existing that does the job well/simply/cheaply enough and it would be useful to more than just you and me!

Cheers,
Pete
Old 09-02-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
Hi Ryan,
It isn't to address this - it just needs to be able to read WAV files in extreme detail. I could possibly do something if enough people need it - it's not a money thing, don't write software for money anymore but I'd only do it if there's nothing pre-existing that does the job well/simply/cheaply enough and it would be useful to more than just you and me!

Cheers,
Pete
Fair enough. I guess we'll have to see if it would be useful to others. That said, I do find it hard to believe that this doesn't already exist. Of course, even better would be if Avid would just make it a part of PT.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:45 AM

But in the meantime lets find out what's out there that can deal with it and if there's nothing and there is demand I (or someone else on this forum that programs maybe) can knock something together.

Cheers,
Pete

Last edited by Pete Gates; 09-02-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:25 PM

Right...

It's all come back to me, I thought this had all come up before and it has. Since PT10 multichannel files have all been exported in SMPTE order so Pro Tools is setting and following the channel mask correctly. Even some of their own documentation is incorrect in places though and there is no thorough clear documentation on it. This http://avid.force.com/pkb/KB_Render_...4di&lang=en_US is incorrect

Q: Is it possible to export files in SMPTE order?
A: Not at this time.

Should actually say Pro Tools since version 10 only exports in SMPTE order.

This is why your first screenshot example is correct. Premiere isn't doing anything clever, it's just following the channel mask that Pro Tools has correctly set.

Cheers,
Pete
Old 09-02-2016, 03:05 PM

Are you f*cking kidding me?! So wait... on a page that was "Last Updated : July 11, 2016" on Avid's own site, it's giving the wrong information on something that was corrected in the software back in 2012?! Good thing when you Google "pro tools smpte multichannel", that's the first page that comes up! Ha Ha! Also, Pro Tools Expert from this past May seems to believe that the file is in the the Film standard as well.

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2016/5/11/pro-tools-offline-bounce-to-quicktime-what-we-want

I really hope that you're correct here Pete but I can't find anything that supports it. I had already dug through the Reference Guide with no luck. Man, I hope you're right though.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 09-02-2016, 03:20 PM

I'm doing some more checking so maybe don't bet any money on me being correct yet (ha ha) but I think I am. Pro Tools internal metering/channel order is film order and always has been but I'm reasonably certain that exported WAVs are in SMPTE order.

Cheers,
Pete
Old 09-03-2016, 06:41 AM

Ok, done some more testing. My colleague Steve recorded a brand new 5.1 interleaved WAV file with tone just on the front right channel in Pro Tools 12HD and sent me that exact file and a duplicated Pro Tools export of it and basically the programmers have done it exactly right and to spec. Both files are SMPTE ordered with all flags and options and chunks set correctly. Other information that says otherwise is incorrect or out of date.

Cheers,
Pete
Old 09-03-2016, 07:00 AM

I'm not opening it in anything. I'm reading it in some software I'm writing. It's definitely not in film order. Anyway, if it was in film order the other software would open it incorrectly as the channel mask is set for Microsoft 5.1 order which is the same as SMPTE order.

Pete
ps ooh, the post I'm replying to has disappeared!
Old 09-03-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
Ok, done some more testing. My colleague Steve recorded a brand new 5.1 interleaved WAV file with tone just on the front right channel in Pro Tools 12HD and sent me that exact file and a duplicated Pro Tools export of it and basically the programmers have done it exactly right and to spec. Both files are SMPTE ordered with all flags and options and chunks set correctly. Other information that says otherwise is incorrect or out of date.

Cheers,
Pete
That's insane. I can't believe that there's no documentation to support this. Great news though! Thanks so much Pete. I really do appreciate this.

All that said, I really wish that Avid would confirm this and update their literature.

Thanks again,

Ryan
Old 09-03-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccam View Post
All that said, I really wish that Avid would confirm this and update their literature.
Entirely, it's not much use and doesn't carry any weight me saying it. That Avid support page you pointed to needs changing for a start! Any mods reading this? How do we notify anyone?

Pete