Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2012, 07:55 AM

Default Question about updating from Snow Leopard directly to Mountain Lion...

I'm still on Snow Leopard and never went to Lion. Apple says upgrading directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion is fine. Now on to the obvious question about Pro Tools: aside from the fact that PT is not officially approved for Mountain Lion, what are the implications for PT when leaving Snow Leopard to go to a higher OS? I understand there were some folder structure and name changes in Lion - will I have to completely re-install Pro Tools after upgrading to Mountain Lion, or will my PT install "survive" the upgrade with the OS folder changes?

(I'm using PT 10.2)

Thanks for any help from anyone who has experience with this.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:26 AM

Default Re: Question about updating from Snow Leopard directly to Mountain Lion...

I upgraded from Snow Leopard straight to Mountain Lion while using Pro Tools 10.2. A re-install of Pro Tools 10.2 was not necessary - it should survive the upgrade just fine. The other details you asked I'm not sure about, but I am experiencing an irritating and unwarranted CPU overload error message VERY frequently since upgrading to Mountain Lion. My sessions are nowhere near usage-heavy and my computer is a powerhouse - never happened until the upgrade, which I'm hoping Avid will correct once they release an official Mountain Lion compatible Pro Tools 10 version.

I hope that helps.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Question about updating from Snow Leopard directly to Mountain Lion...

Pyjamz, thanks so much for the info, I'm glad I found someone who has done this. So have you updated to the just-released 10.3 yet? Are your CPU issues solved?
Old 09-18-2012, 04:47 AM

When upgrading to a new OS I always start from scratch and slowly transition over. Install the new OS on a fresh drive, do the updates and make sure all is well. Then install PT, plugs and all the stuff you need to make audio. Work on it for a while and slowly migrate all your apps over. A bit of a hassle at times because you'll need to restart over to the old system from time to time and deal with registration of apps, but it's much better than installing the new OS over the old and inheriting possible problems. I've had the transition take weeks.

Nothing is foolproof, but I've always found starting from scratch the safest and easiest way to begin with a new OS.