Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2001, 08:37 AM

Default How to create a Stereo track using one mono

I have a mono track that I want to change into a stereo. I want this because I need 2 stereo tracks of that vocal so I can hard-pan left and right to apply some stereo effects.
Question: How do you change a mono track into a stereo ? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2001, 12:54 AM

Default Re: How to create a Stereo track using one mono

There are many ways depending, i.e. if you wanted to effect a mono track to give it more of a stereo image (use delay, reverb, chorus,etc.) but from what you've described,

I think you want to duplicate the track to make two identical tracks, hard pan (L,R) then bounce these to 2track stereo and bring back in. This will give you the stereo interleved file (good only with ver. 5.1). Still, just duplicating the tracks is enough, because a stereo track is 2 tracks. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2001, 01:10 AM

Hey Soundboy,

Why don't you try this...

Create a new stereo aux input. Set its input to stereo bus 1&2.
Create a stereo bus send 1&2 on your mono vocal track (make sure to click the volume fader on the bus to 0 and if you want you can select it to pre so the bus volume is independent of the vocal track fader).

Place a stereo effect (reverb, delay etc.) on the aux input channel you created earlier. Increase the volume of this aux input to taste - you now have your original vocal track plus a stereo effect and you can mix the two.

Also, you can send other tracks to this stero bus 1&2 (just like you did for the vocal track) and they too will sound on the aux input with whatever stereo effect you have placed there. I do this for backing vocals, i.e., send 3 backing vox tracks to one aux input with stereo reverb, thus only using 1 reverb plugin for 3 tracks!

HTH,

Simon [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2001, 11:56 AM

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll try them. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]