Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2014, 04:06 PM

Default Strange noise in Eleven Rack

I have some strange noise or should I say clicking sound. Itīs pretty low but isnīt gateable. It comes through easily with "heavy" rigs.

No clicking when switching to other rig inputs. Clicking remains with everything but mains, guitar and earplugs connected. At that point I even unplugged anything suspicious from the mains as computers and other electronic stuff.

Link to wav of git input (dropbox) Need some serious gain to be heard.

Link to wav of rig output (dropbox) More easily heard.

These files have the clicking at constant rate. More often itīs more like 2-5 clicks then a second of peace before it starts over again. By the time I recorded it... it clicked all the time??!!

Have anybody heard such before? Do I need to send my ElevenRack in for service? Anything I can try?
Old 05-01-2014, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Strange noise in Eleven Rack

is this in standalone or with Pro Tools open, or both?

What happens in standalone if you change the sample rate?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-01-2014, 05:09 PM

The files are recorded with pro tools. But the clicking is the same when checked with everything but mains, git and earplugs connected. Midi pedal boards computers and other stuff disconnected from mains.
I didnīt have much time doing the recordings and trying everything I could think of so.... I forgot to change samplerate. I had planned to include that in my troubleshooting but I forgot. It will be about 16 hours before I get to it again. Iīll post as soon as I have tested. Anything else to try when I get to it?
Old 05-02-2014, 01:04 AM

Now I have also tested changing samplerate. Clicking noise is still clearly audible. Also did the hard reset procedure from benonis videos.... Both of them. No difference at all.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:53 AM

Update: Good news. Clicking sound is gone in rehearsals room. Iīll investigate further what causes the noise at my home. Anybody have any ideas. Also, when I find what it is... any tips what can be done to prevent these kind of misbehaviours. Next time I get strange noises could be at a gig
Old 05-06-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mange586 View Post
Update: Good news. Clicking sound is gone in rehearsals room. Iīll investigate further what causes the noise at my home. Anybody have any ideas. Also, when I find what it is... any tips what can be done to prevent these kind of misbehaviours. Next time I get strange noises could be at a gig
Take it from someone who's done a lot of searches and fixes for environmental noise - it's not an easy proposition and can be time consuming. You could have noise coming in through the AC mains, it could be radiated from an appliance through the air like a radio signal and picked up in electronics (this is where it's good to have properly shielded cables and electronics), it might not even be in your house but something nearby.

Could be compressor in a refridgerator starting, an old TV with a crt screen, flourescent lamps (including those new cfl bulbs), lamp dimmers, touch switches, etc. Could even be external but close to your house but on the same side of a transformer feed on your incoming AC mains.

If something is arcing over (causing a spark) it will cause all kinds of noise up the spectrum. Got a gas stove/cooktop? Those use electric/electronic ignitors that cause clicking in a signal.

QAPLA!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mange586 View Post
Yeah, try some other power outlets in your home and see how it goes.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio