Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2000, 09:59 AM

Default Pro Tools PowerMix+

Hi I would sure like a feedback on this one.
Pro Tools FREE gave Pro Tools to ANYONE (as LE series started) from a company that makes it only for the big ones digi started bringing the top #1 DAW into almost any PC (Mac included in PC defintion).
I just wonder due all the comptability problems and the limitaions I would like to suggest/feedback a Digi a new product to the Pro Tools Family.

Pro Tools PowerMix+ (ok so I ain't that good with names ).
A version like PT Free with 16channels and upto 8inputs (max).
The difference would be this version would have and SDK for making
any soundcard compatible with the DAE. so if Delta would like they'll be able to provide proper drivers & this PT version would run smooth with any H/W Buffers supported. This version SHOULD cost money as any Cakewalk software and still your LE Series (H/W + S/W) would give more features.

Another thing is... If you dump that product people won't be limited as
the AM3 card STILL doesn't have ANY WinNT driver except the old "vintage" half-duplex.
Old 12-02-2000, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools PowerMix+

Hi Rock_Artist,

I doubt that Digidesign will release a more powerful version of Pro Tools software to run on non-Digidesign hardware. The best way we can deliver performance and stability is by providing solutions (hardware + software).

If you have an AMIII I would suggest running Windows 98SE and buy an upgrade to Pro Tools LE (I believe it's only $99). The Pro Tools LE software gives you 24 tracks of audio, and much better peformance than PT FREE.

Regards,
Kenn LeGault
Digidesign
Old 12-03-2000, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools PowerMix+

I own the Pro Tools LE 5.01 and I've also installed PTFree for check under ME partition to check ME and the results were awful... LE much more stable.
The only reason I think such a release would do good since it is still limited more than LE, Mix, MixPlus and the hardware would provide solution with true proper drivers (Example is the ASIO).
Just remember that Apple didn't port their OS to any hardware and they still good great products but their market share is pretty closed.
Today the AM3 & The Digi001 got limited driver base (for PC)... ASIO - NO, NT/ME/200 - Not yet. Use of ALL i/o - NO.

About me I cannot lie, I'm now planning to buy an additional "LE System" (Digi001) since the 4inputs limit me and after switching to PTLE I cannot go back...
I just wait for 5.1 release