Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2009, 09:29 AM

Default Re: PT8 takes 5 minutes to startup...

Check the original post - I went pretty deep already, including nearly all of the stuff you mentioned. Still nothing has helped. A PT uninstall is next (as soon as I can get to it).

All plugs and the OS (10.5.5) are compatible.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Check the original post - I went pretty deep already, including nearly all of the stuff you mentioned. Still nothing has helped. A PT uninstall is next (as soon as I can get to it).

All plugs and the OS (10.5.5) are compatible.
I did read the OP. Those "Nearly" things might be exactly what will make the difference.

IF you have a cache problem (aint saying that you do) then without deleting those caches - you will have the same problems, all over again. OS X is a cache MONSTER and everything (nearly) gets written into the cache (even which DSPs are used with what plugs in PT). All it takes is a "bad" cache file and your world turns into hell
Old 01-15-2009, 09:47 AM

I said "nearly" only because I hadn't moved all plugins at the beginning of this task, but I've since moved them and it didn't help. All other steps were attempted yesterday. I was doing all of this remotely - now I'm heading to the studio where I can sit at the console and reinstall PT in person. I'll post my results...

Thanks for the advice so far.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I said "nearly" only because I hadn't moved all plugins at the beginning of this task, but I've since moved them and it didn't help. All other steps were attempted yesterday. I was doing all of this remotely - now I'm heading to the studio where I can sit at the console and reinstall PT in person. I'll post my results...

Thanks for the advice so far.
Hope it works out
Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 PM

Although it doesn't explain how it happened in the first place after working perfectly for a week, an uninstall and reinstall of PT8 has fixed the problem.

Prior to the uninstall I did save my IO setup, plugins, plugin presets, etc., just to be safe, but those things all remained intact after the uninstall. The only thing that I needed to fix after reinstalling was the Hardware Setup, and I'd made images of that setup a couple months ago so it was easy to reconfigure. Thankfully - it's thick and very customized and would have been a nightmare without the screen grabs.

So all is good. For now... hoping that it doesn't happen again.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:27 PM

In my case I gave up.
I reinstalled two times System. Twice PT. Applejacked. Reseted PRAM. etc, etc, etc.
And everything was veeerrrryyyy slow.
So, may be, my old G5 is not allowing Leopard + PT 8.0.
I gave up.
Returned to Tiger and PT7.4 and everything is very snappy and responsive.
So, thanks for all suggestions we reveived. My investment in the upgrade to PT8.0 will be enjoyed some month a head when I will change this computer.
Thanks again.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:55 PM

Thumbs down Re: PT8 takes 5 minutes to startup...

If this is the response of people updating then I might pass all together Why upgrade with all these problems of slow process which I can't afford with sessions. Maybe Digi should of worked this out before since many are still on a PPC and not the over priced Intel
Old 01-15-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblasters View Post
If this is the response of people updating then I might pass all together
It seems to be extremely rare. I've heard the outcomes of about 50 different upgrades, only those mentioned in this thread have had the slow startup issue, and mine has been repaired.

Perhaps it's odd that I'm supporting it after I just went through all this, but I'm not entirely convinced that the people at my studio aren't (innocently) to blame for the corruption of PT8. Too hard to verify, or explain, just a theory.

In general, 8 it seems to be a very successful update.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:04 AM

Eric ..... do you have any external hard drives mounted when this happens?? I ask this only because I have experienced this same problem on occasion (long boot up) and in my case it was related to a few external FW drives being mounted. When I unmounted them, rebooted the puder, PT loaded fine. I have found no solution other than that. It does work fine (for me at least) with one or two drives mounted.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblasters View Post
If this is the response of people updating then I might pass all together Why upgrade with all these problems of slow process which I can't afford with sessions. Maybe Digi should of worked this out before since many are still on a PPC and not the over priced Intel
DOnt upgrade - clean install.

Same goes for any major OS X version. NEVER upgrade. Do a clean installation. Else, you are in it for a world of trouble. Goes for all software I know of.