Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2010, 11:24 PM

Default Import Audio - Access Violation then Crash

While working in 10.5.8 and 8.0.3, everything was fine. I recently upgraded to 10.6.4 and 8.0.4 to finally take advantage of 64 bit and now have 2 bugs, not sure if they're related to one another.

First, upon launch, my quick start dialog templates are all blank. The templates are there, and i can actually select different ones, just can't see the names. I can verify that they're correct when I have to give the new session a name before the session loads.

Second (and more importantly!) When I import audio to a session, put it in my region bin, everything is fine until I try to drag it to a track. Once I do, I get "Access violation has occurred". Then PT crashes. No error codes, just the access violation and crash. Never had this problem before.

I've tried several trouble shooting methods. I've optimized my mac setup. I've trashed databases and prefs. I've uninstalled and reinstalled based on the steps laid out by Digi. I've repaired disk permissions. Updated pace drivers. Removed all plugs except Digi's and the few that I've verified are compatible.

Can someone offer any advice, assistance, or suggestions? I'm sure I'm missing critical information here, so please let me know what else I can provide (and if you know, where to find it). Running dual quad 2.26 Ghz with 12 gigs RAM. 003 with Command 8 on 10.6.4 and 8.0.3

And last, why can't Digi seem to get 64 bit right? Don't get me wrong, I know it's extremely complex to write this large of an application. But 64 bit has been out for a while. You would expect that the best in the industry would be the leader. Other softwares have been working for a while. And Digi is still trying to figure it out? I don't want to, but soon I'm going to have to defect to someone that can get the job done.

Thanks for any suggestions!!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Import Audio - Access Violation then Crash

Check out this thread

Some highlights are questions like did you do a fresh install of SL? are you emptying the trash when trashing prefs?

Access Violations suck, but I've been on SL for a while now and it's stable here. For me it's alway been a disk reading issue. What kind of HDD are you using?

Come to think about it...you ought post all your system info...

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue
Old 09-12-2010, 04:47 AM

Also I think some are having issues w/ iTunes 10 - you might have downloaded that when you switched to SL.

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue
Old 09-12-2010, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I've checked out the thread and have a question - what constitutes a clean install vs. installing over an OS? I installed SL from the discs, though I did have Leopard already running on my mac. I thought downloading from the disc, then updating from there would work. How does one do a clean install without completely formatting the drive and starting over?

I am emptying the trash with prefs etc. I've used the database helper apps I've seen in threads. Basically my steps were to uninstall PT, remove all databases, prefs, empty trash, reboot, repair disc permissions, reinstall 8.0.3 (full install), then update to 8.0.4. I even tried it before the update to 4. Something in PT is not working correctly with SL.

What information could I post and where would I find it? I've heard of sandra reports, though I don't know how to run one.

Last thing I was going to try is to do a complete wipe of ALL PT. I would lose all my templates, plug settings, etc. Basically have to reload everything for my DAW from scratch. But if the weak link is in fact SL, I don't want to go through that to end up with the same situation.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:41 AM

Yeah a clean install would be on a freshly formatted drive. SL gives you the option (which I believe is new) to install "over" existing leopard or to reformat. If you chose the latter, I would definitely clone your drive and save an image of that first. Then you'd have to re install everything.

Moving to a new OS is a major shift, but once you get settled in you'll be fine.

As for the process you mentioned, did you repair permissions after the install?

Anyhow good luck and see what some others say before you do anything...

www.studiofifty.net