Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2017, 10:40 AM

Default Midi notes recorded late on timeline

I know this has been discussed many times and I've read through all the threads I could find but, I'm still having this problem -

Roland TD11 usb out -> 2012 Mac Mini i7 quad OSX 10.9.5 -> Pro Tools 12.6.1

Set up a click track, load up instrument or midi track (in either ticks or samples), hit record, try to tap quarters on TD11 snare. When I look at the timeline, every note is behind the grid. When playing back through Kontakt, snare hits sound like flams with the click.

I have tried:
- turning delay compensation on/off
- selecting/de-selecting delay compensation midi controller options and other midi options in the Midi preferences window.
- adjusting buffer from 32 to 1024
- trashing pro tools preferences
- updating to 12.6.1 (was getting this problem on 12.4, read that 12.6.1 solved midi latency, updated, no change)
- making sure TD11 driver is up to date

Here's a screenshot showing the midi notes behind the grid -

Can anyone please help me with this?? It's driving me insane. I don't know if this is a Pro Tools issue or if this is just normal behaviour for usb to midi and I have to live with it, but I feel like I should be able to record midi on time. Seems like a basic necessity. Any settings I'm missing??
Thanks!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Midi notes recorded late on timeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliderman View Post
I know this has been discussed many times and I've read through all the threads I could find but, I'm still having this problem -

Roland TD11 usb out -> 2012 Mac Mini i7 quad OSX 10.9.5 -> Pro Tools 12.6.1

Set up a click track, load up instrument or midi track (in either ticks or samples), hit record, try to tap quarters on TD11 snare. When I look at the timeline, every note is behind the grid. When playing back through Kontakt, snare hits sound like flams with the click.

I have tried:
- turning delay compensation on/off
- selecting/de-selecting delay compensation midi controller options and other midi options in the Midi preferences window.
- adjusting buffer from 32 to 1024
- trashing pro tools preferences
- updating to 12.6.1 (was getting this problem on 12.4, read that 12.6.1 solved midi latency, updated, no change)
- making sure TD11 driver is up to date

Here's a screenshot showing the midi notes behind the grid -

Can anyone please help me with this?? It's driving me insane. I don't know if this is a Pro Tools issue or if this is just normal behaviour for usb to midi and I have to live with it, but I feel like I should be able to record midi on time. Seems like a basic necessity. Any settings I'm missing??
Thanks!
i myself, cannot see your pic ..

are you trying to listen THROUGH PT ?? or are you listening to your TD11 another way ??

more info please ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-13-2017, 12:34 PM

Thanks for your reply John.

Sorry about the pic. Let me try again - http://imgur.com/a/qIwWg

I am listening through Pro Tools, yes. But right now I'm trying to simplify as much as possible. No plugins, no VI's, just midi and instrument tracks. TD11 is the midi input device. The recorded midi notes are showing up slightly late in the timeline and that's reflected in playback also when I do load up a sampler.

I've added my system specs into my signature. Let me know if I'm leaving anything out! Thanks
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Old 02-13-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliderman View Post
Thanks for your reply John.

Sorry about the pic. Let me try again - http://imgur.com/a/qIwWg

I am listening through Pro Tools, yes. But right now I'm trying to simplify as much as possible. No plugins, no VI's, just midi and instrument tracks. TD11 is the midi input device. The recorded midi notes are showing up slightly late in the timeline and that's reflected in playback also when I do load up a sampler.

I've added my system specs into my signature. Let me know if I'm leaving anything out! Thanks
what happens if you listen to some internal sounds from the TD11 unit and record midi like that ?? do things line up better ?? and there is a Global Midi Offset in Pref's Midi - see pic .. i have never played around with it but this might help your case ..

cheers john
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 12.55.10 PM.png (69.0 KB, 0 views)

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-13-2017, 01:19 PM

The actual monitoring when I'm playing is fine. I can monitor drum samples through Kontakt either in Pro Tools, or through the Apollo console and Kontakt standalone (using apollo virtual I/O) and either way everything sounds fine when I'm recording (as long as the buffer size is set low enough for usable latency of course!)

But it's when I actually play back the recorded midi that it sounds off, and it's because everything is late on the timeline.

I have tried setting the global midi offset (around -2000 samples) and it does get the midi to playback in time but it's not a practical solution. It doesn't move the actual midi data so if I quantize midi to the grid, or if I drag and drop midi so that it's locked to the grid, it'll play back early now because of the offset. I need to figure out why Pro Tools is recording the midi later than when it comes in!
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM

Last edited by colliderman; 02-13-2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 01-07-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
The actual monitoring when I'm playing is fine. I can monitor drum samples through Kontakt either in Pro Tools, or through the Apollo console and Kontakt standalone (using apollo virtual I/O) and either way everything sounds fine when I'm recording (as long as the buffer size is set low enough for usable latency of course!)

But it's when I actually play back the recorded midi that it sounds off, and it's because everything is late on the timeline.
i'm having exactly the same issue here. did you find a solution?
Old 06-18-2020, 05:30 PM

the same here!
Old 06-20-2020, 08:03 AM

I have PT 12.7.1 Recently I have developed the same problem. Never had it before. All settings are as they are supposed to be.

Windows10 i7 16gRAM. Using a Yamaha P90 and Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface. Is there a fix for this or do I have to spend a fortune on tech support?
Old 06-20-2020, 01:54 PM

Here is what worked well for me for several years with a Roland TD-10 kit(and various keyboard controllers):
1-Make sure your tracking session has nearly zero ADC(less than 10 samples on tracks is good. Zero on any Master Tracks because Master Track latency is not compensated for)
2-(assuming you are NOT running TDM or HDX), set playback buffer to 64(my setting for all tracking)
3-I used the Roland kit to trigger EZdrummer, Addictive Drums and Superior Drummer 2 and had great results with all 3.

Having said that, was note placement perfect? Honestly, I don't know, but since we are talking about midi, consider 2 things: 1-its really easy to nudge or quantize(which I did whenever my ears told me I needed to). 2-the offset shown in your screen shot is pretty minor(could you be worried about something that might be a non-issue?). During my run in Nashville, I worked with some amazing drummers(and we always tracked with a click track) and regardless of midi or acoustic drums, I saw discrepancies from the grid on nearly every recording over several years, but a lot of those tracks sounded and felt fine with no timing edits at all. I guess my point is to trust your ears for timing(if it feels good, don't worry that its not on the grid)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave