How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2011, 12:45 AM

Default MC Mix and Pro Tools 8 Not Connecting

Hey guys,

I'm looking around the forum and I haven't seen anyone else with this exact issue.

I just pulled my new MC Mix out of the box, connected it to my system following the instructions to the 't' and when I launch pro tools it's as if the two aren't connected at all - minus a minor change in the display. None of the controls on the MC Mix adjust any paramaters/faders/etc in Pro Tools and vice versa.

I've tried suggestions that have worked for others such as deleting pref files, checking upgrade versions, etc. and am close to just make the switch to Pro Tools 9 and hope that the EuCon control fixes the issue, but was hoping to stick with PT 8 for just a little while longer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-01-2011, 02:10 AM

Default Re: MC Mix and Pro Tools 8 Not Connecting

Don't forget to get into Settings and drag the PTLE 8 app to Euphonix logo (at the bottom of Settings). Start PTLE 8 setup HUI mode with help of the midisettings (pre choice)

I assume you know that you cannot use 2.5.6 but have to use 2.5.5 for PTLE 8 and you control that you have the second newest firmware on your MC Mix.

Read our older posts on this subject - the MC Mix works just fine with PTLE 8 as soon as you have set it up correctly.
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 01-01-2011, 01:53 PM

Thanks GW,

It seems I've tried all of these. I've dragged the PTLE8 app into the Euphonix setup window in System Preferences. Is this what you are saying by dragging the PTLE8 app to Euphonix logo? I've selected HUI in the same settings area and the default midi is set to 1-4. As well when I start protools I select HUI (low res) in the quick start menu on start up.

I've upgraded Eucontrol software to 2.5.5 and downgraded the firmware to version 1.3.9.

When Pro Tools is the target app running, "Pan" shows in the display on the MC Mix for the first fader and in one of my sessions the 8th fader on the MC Mix controls the volume of one of my a Kontact 4 plug-ins.

All you've said is reassuring that I've at least got it set up correctly, unless I've misunderstood one of your suggestions above.

Do you have any other suggestions? I'll continue to search through the DUC, it seems all I've read are issues people have had where the MC Mix used to work then one day saw it not work type issues.

Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:25 PM

You haven't told us what setup you are trying to hook up? If you are on a Digi002 (not R) you will only be able to reach track 9-16 with your MC Mix, the first 1-8 tracks will be on your Digi002 - that is one of the things that will change when you crossgrade to PT9 and EuCon.
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Old 01-01-2011, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the quick response, I'm hoping to get set up today so it's greatly appreciated.

I'm currently using an Mbox 2. I have a 003 Rack+ sitting in a box 2 feet from me I want to set up after this. I was hoping to get one working, then set up the other so I'm not changing too many things at once, in case problems arise I wanted to keep variables to a minimum.

Is there any reason the 003 Rack would fix this?

I was about to try this from an old post I just found, but I'm not too familiar with networking and am causious about making things worse. thoughts?

"The following setup is recommended if you are connected directly to your Mac - a single Ethernet cable from the Artist unit to the Mac's Ethernet port, and in some cases where a Switch is used between the Mac and the Artist control surfaces.

Set up manual network location:

1) Go to Network settings. Launch System Preferences (Apple Menu > System Preferences...) and press the Network icon.
2) Unlock the pane to enable changes (lower left corner of panel - it will ask for your password)
- if you wish for this to be the permanent default location, then skip to step 7
3) Under the Location drop down menu, choose "Edit Locations..."
4) Choose "Automatic"
5) Click the button with a gear icon and choose "Duplicate Location". Name it "Artist Direct Connect" and click Done.
6) Under the Location drop down menu, choose "Artist Direct Connect"
7) Choose "Ethernet" in the list on the left. (If there are multiple Ethernet ports, use Ethernet port #1. This is the default port used for EuCon. The default port setting can be changed in System Preferences > Euphonix)
8) In the Configure drop down menu, choose "Manually"
9) In the IP Address field, enter: 169.254.1.2 (example)
10) In the subnet mask field, enter: 255.255.0.0
11) Press the Apply button
12) Go to: System Preferences > Euphonix
13) Press Stop. Wait a few seconds, then press Start again. This will relaunch all EuCon processes with the new settings.

You will also need to set a static IP address on the surface. See documentation for detailed steps (User Guide section A-1).
Here is an example of the settings to be used with the above steps:
IP: 169.254.001.003 (increment the last field for each additional unit, make sure you do not use the same IP address as set in step 9 above)
Subnet: 255.255.0.0 "
Old 01-01-2011, 04:10 PM

Found it! Needed to set HUI under midi controllers. Always seems obvious once you find it! New to midi controllers. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:20 PM

Well done.

PT 9 works even better with EuCon insted of HUI, but it effects the Transport more then the MC Mix. If you already have an Airport unit of some kind you now can try to install your MC Mix wireless so you can skip the ethernet cable - only useful if you have MBP that you remove daily from your workplace (that is level 2 however). The 003R doesn¨t make that much difference since this unit doesn't have any faders, that with the first 8 faders only apply to 003 and Digi002.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:12 AM

Good to know, I was thinking about making the switch to PT9 sometime this spring but need to look into upgrading the OS, and see what plug-ins will be affected (next project). Very interesting about the airport, I won't be needing to do this but none the less... interesting... how would would you go about connecting the mc mix to your DAW using the airport?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:33 AM

Haha.. Stick your ethernet cable into the Airport insted of into the computer...
Old 01-07-2011, 08:29 AM

ha, easy enough. Thanks