How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2022, 10:50 AM

Default MIDI Channel Automation

Hi all,

Pulling out my hair here- tried searching in the PT manual and on this forum but cannot find out how to automate a midi channel change. Is there a way to do this? I don't want to have to create a new track simply to change the midi channel...

Thanks.

Last edited by George2000; 12-16-2022 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-16-2022, 02:37 PM

Default Re: MIDI Channel Automation

I think I found it in the online help actually. It seems that it is not possible:

"MIDI tracks in Pro Tools cannot contain multiple channels of MIDI data."

Not sure if they mean at the same time or if it's just not possible to switch channels. It seems like the latter though.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:13 PM

No, its not something you would or should automate. Why don't you describe what your goal is and see if someone has a solution?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-16-2022, 09:29 PM

Duplicating your current MIDI track is trivial and these tracks use minimal resources. One track per channel is pretty standard.
Old 12-17-2022, 12:09 PM

Well I want to use a different instance of an instrument within Kontakt. Sure, the easy thing would be to just setup another track with it's own midi channel assigned.

But this is for two different string articulations. So for example: I start off using violin longs, then want to switch to another instance of the violins using pizzicato. Unfortunately with this instrument I cannot just do a keyswitch, the articulations I want to switch to are in a different instance of the instrument plugin.

All is fine with setting up another track, until I want to print a score. So now I have the violins playing longs on one track, then the violins playing pizz on another in the score. I really want them to just be on one staff in the score.

So... I'm not sure there is a way around this?

Thanks again for the help/responses!
Old 12-17-2022, 01:05 PM

You can't switch channels on one track. You can set up dummy score tracks to make your score look nice, without worrying about playback. So basically the full MIDI part on a single track, without a real output, just for display as notation. It's a kludgy workaround, yes, but all things considered, the level of notation integration in ProTools is pretty great considering how few use it.
Old 12-17-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George2000 View Post
Well I want to use a different instance of an instrument within Kontakt. Sure, the easy thing would be to just setup another track with it's own midi channel assigned.

But this is for two different string articulations. So for example: I start off using violin longs, then want to switch to another instance of the violins using pizzicato. Unfortunately with this instrument I cannot just do a keyswitch, the articulations I want to switch to are in a different instance of the instrument plugin.

All is fine with setting up another track, until I want to print a score. So now I have the violins playing longs on one track, then the violins playing pizz on another in the score. I really want them to just be on one staff in the score.

One way would be to automate the mute or volume of the individual instruments. Might be a little clunky but it could work.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-17-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George2000 View Post

Sounds like you’re trying to do 2 different things with one thing:

1 - Have the separate articulations in different instances for more thorough control of sound.

2 - Have only one MIDI part, so you can easily print/export the written part.

Usually, I either have multiple tracks and just let my orchestrator handle it, or if I printing the part, I will take my multiple tracks and copy them onto one “dummy” MIDI track, where I can then use to just make the part look pretty and conform note lengths (that doesn’t actually play a VI) , irrespective of how the samples sound.

Alternately, I guess a way to do what you seem to want is to have the MIDI part routed to multiple Instrument Tracks that have the different articulations loaded, and automate the Audio Mutes on those channels to “switch” between the articulations.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 12-17-2022, 07:29 PM

Ah ok. I think the dummy track for printing sounds like a good workaround.
Old 12-18-2022, 12:28 PM

OK, thanks for the ideas all!