Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2022, 06:53 PM

Default best computer

I have a home studio that needs new software and computer; my level is hobbyist/amateur singer/songwriter who gets paid now and then to record, produce and perform. I need to upgrade to new and basic Protools software. Can you suggest which Protools software to consider and which computer (not a Mac) that would be compatable? I now use PT 10. from about 8 years ago. My current MacBook Pro barely supports the PT 10.
Old 02-12-2022, 09:01 PM

Default Re: best computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticSeer View Post
I have a home studio that needs new software and computer; my level is hobbyist/amateur singer/songwriter who gets paid now and then to record, produce and perform. I need to upgrade to new and basic Protools software. Can you suggest which Protools software to consider and which computer (not a Mac) that would be compatable? I now use PT 10. from about 8 years ago. My current MacBook Pro barely supports the PT 10.
Why not a mac?
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:54 AM

“ Why not a mac?”
Because he wants a PC, maybe? Significantly less expensive.
That being said, check the compatibility documents for what Avid has tested. Or get a Sweetwater Creation Station.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...on-workstation

Or “roll your own” so you can get EXACTLY what you want.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:02 AM

Some people are simply more comfortable on Windows In any case, there are several options and I will mention some of them:
1 pro-tools-pc.com
2 Sweetwater's Creation Station
3 eBay-used HP z820 or z440(go for at least 3GHz and 16GB of RAM(unless you use lots of instrument plugins, in which case, go with 32GB)

For myself, I never used any of Sweetwater's machines, but am familiar. The pro-tools-pc builds are very customizable. Several years ago I went to eBay and got a z820 12 core at 3.5GHz, 64GB of RAM and a 500GB SSD for $1100 shipped to my door. I popped in my audio and samples drives, installed my HDN card and a USB3 card(for more ports) and the thing ran like a train for 2 years(until I sold off my share and retired). 1 possible disadvantage of the used HP route is you MIGHT not be able to use Windows 11(which you may not care about anyway)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-13-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
“ Why not a mac?”
Because he wants a PC, maybe? Significantly less expensive.
That being said, check the compatibility documents for what Avid has tested. Or get a Sweetwater Creation Station.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...on-workstation

Or “roll your own” so you can get EXACTLY what you want.
I only asked because he’s been using a Mac for 8 years according to the post.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:08 AM

I used the Tonymacx86 website. You can build your own Mac for cheap with parts from your local computer store. Water cooled, no thermal throttling. You just buy the parts they recommend, then follow the step by step.
Runs great!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon.hortman View Post
I used the Tonymacx86 website. You can build your own Mac for cheap with parts from your local computer store. Water cooled, no thermal throttling. You just buy the parts they recommend, then follow the step by step.
Runs great!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Not everyone has the skill or the desire to build their own.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-14-2022, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Not everyone has the skill or the desire to build their own.
It's an option though, nice to know.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:07 PM

To OP, can I make what I'm sure will be a controversial suggestion? For your needs, stick with your permanent PT 10 license and download the windows software for whatever computer you end up with. It will do the job and cost you less. (you might look at a 2nd hand Mac that is a few years old that will run an older OS such as Mavericks. Cheap as chips!)

Sure upgrading is not an option, but you won't have to shell out for a subscription or new permanent license, but you also won't have to: upgrade all your plugins, hardware, drivers etc.