Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2014, 02:23 PM

Default Integrating VE Pro tracks into another session

I'm trying something new for me here. I compose usually in Cubase (usually a large orchestral template using VE Pro), and dub in PT. But it might be useful for quick and dirty stuff to steal parts of my template and use them directly in PT.

So I'm creating a few PT sessions of midi tracks and audio returns from my VE Pro template, then I import whichever session data I need into whatever Pro Tools project I'm working on. The system seems to work pretty well from my first tests. I have one instrument track which also acts as return 1-2 from VE Pro, a bunch of midi tracks and auxes for the other returns. I'm standardising my bus routing, so that all seems to slot in seamlessly.

The only thing that's a minor trip up for me is that all the aux returns from VE Pro except 1+2 are greyed out and don't work by default. If I then go to re-route them to the same destinations, they work straight away. Can anyone figure out why they're greyed by default on input? With 15 tracks per instance, that could get a little boring. Similarly, I have my stems coming in on audio tracks which are switched to input (so I can record the stems in PT), but it defaults to input off.

The other thing I need to remember as I switch from dubbing to composing mode is to make inactive any high latency plugins. Does anyone know of any quick and easy ways to do this rather than making them inactive individually then similarly restore them once I'm back in dubbing mode?

Thanks for all help.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Integrating VE Pro tracks into another session

348 views and still lonely

Just a little more info from some more tests. I tested to see what happens when a 2nd VE Pro server connected to a different VE Pro instance imports from a different PT session. The good news is that the right things connect up as far as the first instrument track of each is concerned - the first server is named as VEPro 1, the 2nd VEPro 2 - all good. But, once more, subsequent audio tracks are greyed out and need to be manually enabled one by one.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:59 AM

Lil bump.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:49 AM

Let's see if I can hit 500 views and no comments...
Old 03-25-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Let's see if I can hit 500 views and no comments...
Let me screw that up for ya...There is a slight bug in VI routing and we've been suffering with it since PT9. I suspect Avid is working on it, but I also suspect its not high on the list due to the ease of getting "around" it. Any time I import SD2 with separate outputs, they always come in inactive and I have to re-assign

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-26-2014, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Let me screw that up for ya...There is a slight bug in VI routing and we've been suffering with it since PT9. I suspect Avid is working on it, but I also suspect its not high on the list due to the ease of getting "around" it. Any time I import SD2 with separate outputs, they always come in inactive and I have to re-assign
Curses!

Thanks for the reply though, good to know. And of course if and when it is fixed, that will be PT11 I guess. I will migrate eventually, but only when they sort out the video engine and Speakerphone is AAX.