How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 02-15-2015, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Please Avid We All Really Want You to Be Successful

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
AVID is trying to convince users that they "need" a support plan and it will be great to have.
Unfortunately for the users who really use the software, we all know how much of a crock it is. It is snake oil they are selling.
This x1000.

Well, maybe not, cuz, you know, the software doesn't work as advertised, so...maybe we all need support...I sure feel like I do after reading this thread. Let's try to move forward; I think the open dialogue with those who represent Avid in this thread is a good thing. Let's all show Avid that the DUC is a good thing, and should not be ignored.

Strength.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:21 AM

Hmmm, what if... let's assume that all protoolers don't upgrade to protools 12 for a yr or so, maybe avid will have a different perspective by then.
I don't think making noise here helps in a way and seriously, I don't have to pay so much to be creative. There are enough powerful daw nowadays. I'm happy with my pt 11 hd. I'll wait for pt 15, maybe there'll be another new HD I/O. Anyway... I can't wait to see Pt 12.

Cheers
Old 02-16-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Bill ... again, sorry, but your pontificating has swung so far beyond reasonableness that I have no wish to read a single further post of yours, ever again ...
x100000 and please , Bill, stop shouting.

Good luck, Nigel.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:22 AM

I'm a client. I won't work anywhere they don't have Pro Tools because I need to use a number of different studios in different locations in addition to mixing in my home. This is because I can't afford to own the caliber of tracking studio I want to use or that my clients expect. The rhythm section we use earns more than the cost of a year's HD support every three hours. Time is money!
Old 02-16-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbass View Post
x100000 and please , Bill, stop shouting.

Good luck, Nigel.
This likely won't be a popular opinion here, but so far Bill is one of the few that isn't just throwing out speculation. Does no one else find the timing of this new model syncing up with the financial situation more than coincidence?

For the most part, we all have until 2016 to see what Avid are going to be putting out. It really comes down to - if they put out enough new features to pay the annual price, then pay up and enjoy the added functionality. If they don't, then either stay at the version you're at and keep rocking, or move to another platform that meets your needs/costs.

We don't know the full list of features that are going to be in PT12 (either at launch or through the product cycle). All we know is the new licensing model, that either you will like, or you wont like (yes, I'm aware that the forum is leaning heavily toward the latter) and the few details that have been released in the FAQ.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 02-16-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
After spending just a little time with Presonus Studio One 2, I must say I'm impressed. A few things to get used to but it's opened my eyes to features just not available in Pro Tools. Whether you plan to stick with Pro Tools or not, you owe it to yourself to check it out. For those shaking your head and saying: "No way am I learning a whole other DAW" - I felt the same way. But once you see, hear and feel the responsiveness combined with the solidness, I'm pretty sure you'll do a double-take. It'll take me a while to get comfortable using S1. But the good news is, it'll co-exist perfectly fine and the cost of entry is where it should be. I'd really like to see someone do a DAW performance shootout on Avid hardware. Consider the idea that HD Native runs and performs better on the same system using Core Audio and third party software than in PT itself. Just sayin'! To get back to the orig. topic, yes, Avid we all really want you to be successful. Bring us Pro Tools 12 when you've included features your competitors have been including for years now. If you need help, just ask your customers, they've been telling you all along what they want.

One more request for Kenny Gioia if you happen to read this - check out Studio One 2. I know you love Reaper. But really - check it out. I'd love to see tutorials or hear your overall impressions.

Also, Russ Hughes of Pro Tools Expert dot com. Can't wait for http://www.studio-one.expert but in the meantime, do a DAW review/comparison on PT Expert. I'm sure everyone would enjoy that!
My only real problem with Studio One is one I've seen mentioned quite a bit on the Presonus forum...the lack of a dedicated control surface.

If they had a dedicated control surface I would probably be jumping to them instead of Cubase, although I'm also not fond of their blocking "outside" plugins in all but the top version of Studio One.

Just as I understand what Avid is doing, I also understand what Presonus is doing...they are a Southern company, and they are focusing on the praise/worship music, which is huge in the South and growing everywhere else.

But praise/worship is more a "live" market than a "recording" market, so a dedicated control surface is not as much a "must" as it is in other markets.

I haven't visited the Presonus forum in six months or so, but last I heard Studio One didn't do a very of handling MCU, so a third-party control surface isn't even an option.

The third-party VST and control surface situations may have improved since I last looked at Presonus, but I haven't seen it mentioned in the newsletters I receive from them.

As a native Southerner I like to support companies that are trying to improve the economic situation in the region, but I can't afford to support companies that don't provide what I need...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-16-2015, 10:06 AM

I wonder if the studio live could be used

That would be awesome, to use your interface as the control surface, there could be so much integration, like a D command
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:20 AM

I'm fairly confident that Avid already has a bag of compelling tricks, that they hope will inspire a lot of us HD users to go with the program planned to be released, at some point in 2015. I do think they are at least smart enough to have already figured that out.

Anything short of that, and they really would have to be flat out stupid. Which I do not think they are. They are naïve, ignorant at times, and certainly arrogant at times, however, they are far from being stupid.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 02-16-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
There's an excellent chance most of those folks are already on support plans and it won't affect them in the slightest. I'm sure Avid took that into consideration.
I think those plans are hardware plans like we have here. Our techs do the work but we get free replacement parts. It's optional but common. What Avid is proposing is an HD software only support plan that's mandatory. It's probably all semantics. If you have your HD systems covered already I would gather you could call for software related issues if needed. Which no one ever does.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:47 AM

Why can't the AVID apologists here come to grips with the problem .... It's not working!

If AVID were successful we wouldn't be having this conversation, and they wouldn't be making this desperate last gasp to stay afloat.

kasper