Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 11:02 PM

Default FW1814 doesn\'t work with M-Powered!

I am really uppset and dissapointed. I sold my mbox and spent the rest of my hard earned cash on a FW1814 and M-powered. I got the FW1814 first and been using it fine with all my apps and the PTM demo. The demo ran smooth so I figured the "real" version would as well.

My FW1814 is not recognized by M-powered. I have rebooted a zillion times, installed and reinstalled latest FW1814 drivers (1.5) as well as PTM. I have taken my FW1814 to a friends house with a PC and updated the Firmware as suggested on this board. Still it doesn't work. I have repaired permissions etc. Nothing works. I do post production for films for a living. I am basically out of commision until I get this fixed. Proably the worste thing that has happened to me in a long time regarding cpu and software. Never had so much problems in my life. Why would you sell something that clearly doesn't work. People rely on software (especially) Pro-Tools to make a living. Simply unacceptable.

Is anyone successfully running PTM with a FW1814 in OSX 10.3.9???? Maybe it is the 10.3.9 thing. I dont it though. I just dont get how the demo works great but the full version brings a bucket of problems. If anyone is successful in 10.3.9 let me know. Or else I guess I will have to reformat my drive and start from skretch simply because proper drivers and software is marketed in a incorrect manner. I am upset indeed.

Mark
Old 05-11-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Re: FW1814 doesn\'t work with M-Powered!

It works fine for me. 10.3.9 with 1.4.4 driver

Here was the history:
10.3.8 Powerbook 1.33GHz - had PTLE 6.4 installed for my 002R. Sold it and got 1814 + MP
Wouldn't work with 1.4.4 driver - almost returned the 1814, tried it on my PC and it worked. Went back to the mac and it worked fine - thought I maybe did something wrong previous time - learned later that it was fixed by going to the PC.
Installed MP - all worked fine.
Downloaded 10.3.9 update - everything works fine.

I have not installed EQ3 or any other demos. The only other installed plug-ins are waves gold.
Maybe you can fine something useful...
Old 05-12-2005, 10:24 AM

Running 10.3.8 with the 1814 and all is good. Just updated the good old auto tune, and installed a few samplers. Everything is looking good and playing nicely.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Avid

Aleatoric -

Your situation is out of the ordinary - there are plenty of others that are using this system without any problems. The fact that you are having problems does not automatically point to issues with PTMP or the 1814 drivers.

When you had Pro Tools for the Mbox installed, did you uninstall it (using the Pro Tools installer cd) before installing PTMP? If not, that could be the problem. You will need to uninstall both PTLE and PTMP, doing a 'clean' uninstall, then reinstall PTMP.

To uninstall - run the Pro Tools installer, when you get to the 'Custom Install' page, click on the word 'Custom Install' and select 'Uninstall' from the drop-down menu.

You should also follow the 'General Troubleshooting' steps in the sticky at the top of the 002/Mbox Mac forum.

There may also be issues with 10.3.9 that we are unaware of. 10.3.9 is not tested for compatibility, so you may need to revert to an earlier OS version if nothing else works.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:36 AM

You are very right: This situation is out of the ordinary. There are plenty of users out there using the PTMP demo without any problem, but are unable to launch the PTMP full version ON THE SAME SYSTEM!!??

It's right, we shouldn't update a OS when the compatibility is not fully tested. But in my case, I updated to 10.3.9 before I bought the PTMP Software, because everything worked fine with my other software. And even the demo was running under 10.3.9, but the full version won't launch. I heard reverting to an earlier OS version is not that easy and so my PTMP software is untouched since I bought it, because Digidesign is unable to bring an update for 10.3.9 since one month (release-date of 10.3.9 was 04-15-05). Furthermore I am not sure, that (un)installing LE-software, M-Audio-drivers, rebooting, ... a thousand times would solve the problem. Digidesign owe their users an update that works!!!!

One last thing: My Cubase SX 2.0.1 software from Oct. 2003 works (honestly not perfectly but I can work with it) and the new Pro Tools M-Powered software from April 2005 doesn't work and doesn't even launch respectively. I don't get it!
Old 05-13-2005, 07:29 AM

I feel you on this one! I use PT HD at work on most of my sessions. I wanted to pick up a copy of PT for my home DAW, but I didn't want or need the 002 and I bought M-box about 4 months prior and hated it so much I had to sell it and loose 50 dollors cause the most I could get for it was 300. AS soon as I heard about M-Powered I bought it! I had the same problems, first it was the firmware issue, I think it's ridiculous that you have to bring the unit to a PC. WHat if I didn't know anyone with one? You shouldn't have to do that bottom line! (I know they are trying to fix it, but people are still having problems with 1.5!) Any ways, today, as I write this, PT M powered is sitting in it's box somewhere in my house. IT NEVER GOT FIXED! I posted about 100 posts on this forum and I got so much information about how to fix my problem, I got replys from digidesin, I got replys from users, in fact I wrote a message stating how angry I was at the situation and I got my head torn right off! Digidesign even erased some of my posts! It is amazing how dedicated some users are, they really took my comments about MY problem to heart, it was like I was out of line for being angry I spent 800 for nothing? go figure!. Anyway, I got a lot of help but nothing anyone told me worked besides the firmwire problem. I did get PT to work a little bit, but I had to take it off my computer because my brand new G5 was running like ASS and as soon as I uninstalled PT it was fine. So since then, I've installed TIGER, and PT mpowered isn't going anywhere near my computer untill the update comes out and everyone is happy. I'm trying to keep my cool, but when I see post after post with the same problem as me almost word for word it bothers me and fuels my fire once again. I hope you get everything straighted out, as for me it looks like i'll be waiting yet another couples months before I use mine. Hey, I can look at it as I preordered M-Powered 5 months in advance! Great job digidesign, a true american company...