Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2012, 03:10 PM

Default Installing Soundtoys Decapitator on Profile

I'm looking for instructions about how to install Soundtoys Decapitator on a Profile. I won't have access to a console until I'm at a festival, and I'd prefer to not crash it or make all the Iloks not work:^)

The TDM version of the software download contains one exe file. If I open it in my PC it creates a dll file, which Soundtoys tells me is the VST version. Also, Soundtoys (which does not support use on the Venue platform), says that their current version glitches on the Venue, so they sent me a link to 4.1.5. But the Avid compatibility grid only seems to go to 4.1.2 with a date of Aug 2011 (perhaps just hasn't been checked recently?).

If I recall, on my PC I should drag that exe file to a USB drive, then install it on the Profile in Windows mode... but I'd prefer to get more precise current instructions, especially from someone who has done it with Decapitator.

Thanks in advance, Denny
Old 08-23-2012, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Installing Soundtoys Decapitator on Profile

I would be surprised if at a festival, they would allow you to load your own plugin onto their console for the reason that it might introduce some instability, even if you do the install by the book, there could be conflicts or another plugin on the console might become unstable.

If it really is that crucial that you "must" have that plugin, I would suggest you hire your own profile, set it up, and test it before the event, then take this console to the event, you don't want to be the sound guy that has the show go down 2 songs into the set because of some software glitch.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:07 AM

Thanks for responding Roland. Actually it is standard practice to install plugins at festivals, I have done it perhaps a hundred times, but only lately with my trusty plugs that have Venue specific installers, and I forgot the exact procedure for safely loading others.
I probably will find a console to test Decapitator on before festival conditions, but either way, I'd like to know the proper procedures, and I had no luck searching the DUC...
cheers.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:54 AM

I would like to know as well. I own and love Decapitator as a Vocal distortion in the studio, and would like to use it live as well. . . right now I am just using Lo-Fi live and it is not nearly as nice. . . As far as Festivals, we request a Profile or SC48 and without loading my Waves Mercury bundle I would be starting over. . . Never had a problem with Waves, other than old original D-Shows that sometimes can't read certain iLoks. . . what a disaster that can be.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:52 AM

Howard, I am posting directions for manual plug installation below. Unfortunately, Decapitator worked, but every time I rebooted the system it went to default settings. And it did not recall along with scenes. It did not work with Venue presets folder, but it's internal preset folder did allow me to save settings. But after a couple of times of forgetting to reset the settings after popping out of virtual soundcheck (in high profile situations), I gave up on Decapitator and started using McDSP's Futzbox, which has much more versatility and works as expected (but does not sound quite as good as Decapitator). If anyone hears that Decapitator gets upgraded to be Venue compliant, please let me know. Maybe it's something as simple as saving their settings in a different place?

Directions for manual plug install on venue systems (sorry, I forget where I found this, to give credit):

If there is no VENUE-optimized Plug-in installer available many Plug-ins can be installed onto a D-Show system via the Windows desktop.
1.Make sure all sound systems are shut down or muted.
2.Insert the plug-in installer disc into the CD-ROM drive on the FOH Rack.
3.Go to the Options page and click the System tab.
4.Put the Console into CONFIG mode (To enter CONFIG mode: Press the Console Config switch located at the upper right of the Assignable Channel Section, OR double-click the Mode display in the Status Bar, located in lower-right hand corner of the screen).
5.Hold the Ctrl key and click Shutdown Console on-screen. Follow on-screen directions to exit to the Desktop.
6.Copy the plug-in installer to the partition named User Data.
7.Launch the plug-in installer application and follow any on-screen directions. If prompted, do not restart the system from a plug-in installer. (Doing so will not harm the system, but will take longer, especially if you have multiple plug-ins to install manually.)
8.Quit the installer application and eject the installer disc.
9.Click the Return to D-Show shortcut on the desktop to re-launch D-Show.
10.Go to the Options page and click the Plug-Ins tab. Verify that the manually installed plug-in appears in the Installed Plug-Ins list of available plug-ins.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:57 AM

Maybe their V3 bundle could work, I think they didn't use their custom preset setup back then.
I tried V4 but I also got default setting everytime I rebooted.
2xHD madi - 2xHD omni -
Old 09-01-2014, 02:18 PM

Any updates on this?
i too use futzbox but would prefer to use decapitator.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:49 PM

I haven't heard anything or tried anything since the last post. Just been using McDSP Futzbox, which has worked consistently and I have it set per song in scenes for my current customer.
I still think the Decapitator distortion sounds better, but Futzbox has a lot of pretty cool adjustments (gate, pre-EQ, post E-EQ, etc.) that makes it fairly user friendly for programming for live use.
I can't be bothered to try to use a plug in that requires special attention every time I reboot the desk.
Please update if anyone hears anything about Decapitator properly storing settings and or recalling with scenes on a Profile.
Cheers,
Denny