Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2012, 01:56 PM

Default Pro tools placing Samples Early. the opposite of latency.

Pro Tools 10 is placing audio early. As in, before the beat, to the left, of when it was recorded. About 2000 samples early, regardless of the H/W Buffer size.

I have tested this with a Motu Ultralite MKII, and a Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1.

I setup a physical output/input loop (routing the Output of the interface to the Input, with a cable). Recorded the click track for two bars. It places the clicks about 1980 samples early, as in, before the beat.

This is completely unacceptable. It is a failure on the most basic level of functionality. Latency is an issue we all deal with depending on our systems, but this is clearly a problem deep within the code of the Pro Tools Software and needs to be addressed immediately.

I have a feeling that more people are having the problem, but just haven't noticed or thought it was due to bad playing.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Pro tools placing Samples Early. the opposite of latency.

I've noticed the same thing on both the NI AK-1 and my Digi002.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Avid

Pro Tools can't record something that hasn't happened yet, but it can adjust the material after-the-fact (to a certain degree). To narrow down what's making this adjustment and why, we'll have to know your full system specs and Playback Engine settings. Please see the "Help us Help You" link above and reply with all requisite information.

The most likely culprit is Delay Compensation, which heavily depends on the circumstances of your testing.

Aside from replying with your system info, try the following (in place of your initial test):

1.) Create a new, blank session
2.) Disable Delay Compensation, if enabled
3.) Create a Click Track
4.) Bus the Click Track to an Audio Track and "print" the click as an audio clip
5.) Output the printed Audio Track to a physical output and bring it back on a physical input, as you had done previously
6.) Record the loopback test to a new Audio Track

The steps above should produce two Audio Tracks of click that line up nearly sample-accurately (depending on the I/O latency specifications of your hardware interface). Let me know your findings.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoaster View Post
Pro Tools 10 is placing audio early. As in, before the beat, to the left, of when it was recorded. About 2000 samples early, regardless of the H/W Buffer size.

I have tested this with a Motu Ultralite MKII, and a Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1.

I setup a physical output/input loop (routing the Output of the interface to the Input, with a cable). Recorded the click track for two bars. It places the clicks about 1980 samples early, as in, before the beat.

This is completely unacceptable. It is a failure on the most basic level of functionality. Latency is an issue we all deal with depending on our systems, but this is clearly a problem deep within the code of the Pro Tools Software and needs to be addressed immediately.

I have a feeling that more people are having the problem, but just haven't noticed or thought it was due to bad playing.
Hi,

You make no mention of having delay compensation on? or what level is is set at?

Or whether you have compensate for input/output delay after record pass selected in the i/o setup page?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:57 PM

Delay compensation is not on, either in the playback engine or in the I/O.

I will do the test you prescribe, CSJordan, but i don't see the difference in doing that and recording the click straight out/in, and then testing it against the pro tools grid.

The click audio was clearly about 2000 samples in front of the grid, when i ran the output back into the input with a cable.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Avid

The only difference is that audio is always going to occur at the same sample location. Click is triggered by MIDI Beat Clock "under-the-hood," so it's more about eliminating variables.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:26 PM

got it.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSJordan View Post
The steps above should produce two Audio Tracks of click that line up nearly sample-accurately (depending on the I/O latency specifications of your hardware interface).
This really needs to be a user defined value based in samples, like many other DAWs.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 07-13-2012, 04:42 AM

this is still happening.

i tried printing a click the way you described, and in that case it seemed to line up.

but now i'm just finding it happening again and again when recording audio AND MIDI. It places everything i record a little early in the timeline, about 5000 samples.

There is no doubt it. No matter what sample buffer size. I have absolutely no delay compensation enabled anywhere as far as i can tell.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:13 PM

I've got the same problem! Running Pro tool 10. I thought I was loosing my mind. Any fixes yet?