How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2010, 11:33 PM

Default tuning

Hi,
Hey guys,bit of a rookie question, just something that crossed my mind.Are there any general guidelines to know as far as tuning reso vs batter certain ways? Like, a reso tighter than a batter will lead to a xxx kind of sound,or a tighter batter than reso,and so on?
Old 01-29-2010, 04:10 PM

Default Re: tuning

There are so many variables to take into account that there is no simple answer. As always, trial and error experience is the only way to really learn what you do and don't like. Shell material, shell thickness, shell size, type of hoop, and type of head (one-ply, two-ply, coated or not, oil filled, dampened or not, with or without a dot, etc. - and their various combinations) will all affect the sound.

Having said that, here is one general example that I have gleaned from my experience.

Assuming "standard" size drums (eg., 8x12, 9x13, 16x16 tom - I am old enough to have learned the depth x diameter nomenclature and just can't get used to the other way around that is currently in favor) and Remo coated (or clear) Ambassador heads with triple-flanged hoops and keeping the drums within the "sweet-spot" of their individual tuning range (which usually starts at 1/4 to 1/2 turn past finger-tight (no wrinkles!) and goes up to just below the point where you are entering the tuning range of the next size up drum), and no muffling:

Batter head tighter than reso head = more attack, less sustain

Reso head tighter than batter head = more sustain (think Jazz tom sounds)

Batter and Reso heads equally tensioned = balanced attack and sustain

As for the snare, I have found good results (and a sound I like) by not cranking up the batter head too much (if you want it that tight, get a smaller diameter snare) and tuning the snare side to about a fifth above the batter head. I don't like that "choked" sound so I leave my snares on the loose side. Bass players usually hate it but I like the articulation and sensitivity that it gives me.

Remember to tighten the lugs in a crossing pattern (eg., tighten one tension screw, cross the drum, tighten that one, move one lug clockwise, tighten that, cross the drum, and so on). Also, record you playing and someone else playing your kit and stand out in the room while someone else plays your kit. That way, you have several points if view from which to evaluate the sound - from both behind and in front of your kit.

I hope this helps, as always, YMMV.

Cheers,

Kevin