Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 09-03-2015, 04:32 AM

Default To keep the 003R or trade it in?

Next year, I was thinking if I should get a new interface! My 003 Rack is by no means breaking down or anything, and I usually like the Avid interfaces because of the compatibility and stability, but I may want to get some better options on my interface, but it is long in the tooth (I got it in 2008), and I'm seeing some good stuff right now! Interfaces are seemingly having more preamps available which may be good if I have to pack them to record drums or something, and control on individual channels now.

There is the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and the Liquid 56 that I've been looking at the last couple of days, and those seem like they have great routing capabilities.

Then just tonight I came across the Presonus Studio 192, which have a clean look to them, and a couple of features that may be the systems sellers, USB 3.0 and remote controlled Pre-amps!!!! To finally use that extra space in PT I never use may be worth it! What you guys think? Shall I take the leap, or stay.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 09-08-2015, 02:14 PM

Default Re: To keep the 003R or trade it in?

I love my Saffire 56 and the preamps are very clean, plus you have the liquid channels which are really cool. I've also owned Pro 40's and Presonus preamps and they all sound good too. When I did an A/B comparison between the 003R+ and Presonus/Focusrite pres, I found the 003 to be less definitive sonically than the others. Focusrite has a new interface line out now too...

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 09-08-2015, 09:55 PM

Hey a Response! Thanks man! I want to know what to do. I would definitely like better and more dynamic sound!

The new line is mostly Thunderbolt, so I don't think that It will be compatible on my PC (Since Thunderbolt drivers and chips are due out next year for Windows).

Old 09-09-2015, 06:47 AM

Personally, I'd start moving away from Firewire. While I have no issues with Firewire, it's becoming harder and harder to find laptops with ExpressCard slots, or Firewire onboard (if the onboard even works right). That's assuming you're on PC not Mac though, Thunderbolt to Firewire adapters seem to work fine.

I'm happy with my Focusrite Scarlette 18i20, it might not be the high end though, depending on how picky you are. :)

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 09-09-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
Then just tonight I came across the Presonus Studio 192, which have a clean look to them, and a couple of features that may be the systems sellers, USB 3.0 and remote controlled Pre-amps!!!! To finally use that extra space in PT I never use may be worth it! What you guys think? Shall I take the leap, or stay.
I am impressed by Presonus' approach to features, user interface and integration. They seem to be better at thinking about their products from the perspective of a real human using them than most other audio product makers.

That said, I was not particularly impressed with the sound of the two Presonus products I've used.

The first was a row of preamps in a 1U box, don't remember the model number. The sound was thin. Seemed like the top end was rolled off (gently, but noticeably), the noise was higher than I would have liked, and the analog output levels were positively anemic. Even with headset mics we had to add more gain at the line-level input on the console.

The second was a StudioLive 16:4:2 mixer. Again, the output levels were really low. Even with the output trim cranked, devices downstream from it always needed extra gain. I suspect that was probably a cost control measure as beefy output stages are expensive and most users probably aren't interfacing with downstream devices the way I did so probably wouldn't ever notice or care.

Note that our experience with the preamp units was about five years ago and the mixer about three years ago, so it's possible that things have changed. I'd just recommend listening before buying and making sure you have the option of returning whatever you buy if it doesn't play nice with the rest of your system.

As for the Focusrite stuff, maybe test with your system before committing to owning one. The comments here seem to be divided between people who love 'em and those who just can't get them to work. Apparently some users have had issues with drivers.

You might also want to add MOTU to your evaluation list. I haven't used their stuff (yet), but they appear to offer good value and I haven't noticed anyone complaining about them (although that COULD just mean no one is using them! ).
Old 09-09-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
Personally, I'd start moving away from Firewire. While I have no issues with Firewire, it's becoming harder and harder to find laptops with ExpressCard slots, or Firewire onboard (if the onboard even works right). That's assuming you're on PC not Mac though, Thunderbolt to Firewire adapters seem to work fine.

I'm happy with my Focusrite Scarlette 18i20, it might not be the high end though, depending on how picky you are. :)

Joel
Yea I'll agree! FireWire is long in the tooth! I'll continue to use it if I have too, but I like the fact that USB3 doesn't have to take up the precious processes like USB2 has. More of an network system like FireWire! Also we still waiting on Thunderbolt to become widespread on Windows. Supposedly next chipset we'll see more solutions! I would really like to see more PCIe Card slots, since that is why I got my current motherboard for, and I have lots of unused PCIe slots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
I am impressed by Presonus' approach to features, user interface and integration. They seem to be better at thinking about their products from the perspective of a real human using them than most other audio product makers.

That said, I was not particularly impressed with the sound of the two Presonus products I've used.

The first was a row of preamps in a 1U box, don't remember the model number. The sound was thin. Seemed like the top end was rolled off (gently, but noticeably), the noise was higher than I would have liked, and the analog output levels were positively anemic. Even with headset mics we had to add more gain at the line-level input on the console.

The second was a StudioLive 16:4:2 mixer. Again, the output levels were really low. Even with the output trim cranked, devices downstream from it always needed extra gain. I suspect that was probably a cost control measure as beefy output stages are expensive and most users probably aren't interfacing with downstream devices the way I did so probably wouldn't ever notice or care.

Note that our experience with the preamp units was about five years ago and the mixer about three years ago, so it's possible that things have changed. I'd just recommend listening before buying and making sure you have the option of returning whatever you buy if it doesn't play nice with the rest of your system.

As for the Focusrite stuff, maybe test with your system before committing to owning one. The comments here seem to be divided between people who love 'em and those who just can't get them to work. Apparently some users have had issues with drivers.

You might also want to add MOTU to your evaluation list. I haven't used their stuff (yet), but they appear to offer good value and I haven't noticed anyone complaining about them (although that COULD just mean no one is using them! ).
Thanks for the information! I'll check out the MOTU stuff. I know I didn't particularly care about them before.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:45 AM

As you are on Windows/PC you seriously may check out RME interfaces!
Those are among the very best on the market for audio with Windows/PC.
They are not the most affordable ones but definitely worth the money if
being on a Windows machine.
RME provide the best and most stable drivers for PC and they are always
on time with it. Highly recommended for professional audio on PC!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FirefaceUCX
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Fireface802
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FirefaceUFX

http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_...I6WyJSTUUiXX19

Manufacturers website.
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/

The best of success to you, VRW

Last edited by VRW; 09-10-2015 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
As you are on Windows/PC you seriously may check out RME interfaces!
Those are among the very best on the market for audio with Windows/PC.
They are not the most affordable ones but definitely worth the money if
being on a Windows machine.
RME provide the best and most stable drivers for PC and they are always
on time with it. Highly recommended for professional audio on PC!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FirefaceUCX
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Fireface802
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FirefaceUFX

http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_...I6WyJSTUUiXX19

Manufacturers website.
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/

The best of success to you, VRW
Eh. Not hot on those choices. It seems like more money for less stuff that the Studio 192 is offering!

I did see this though!

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/octamic_xtc.php

Now the Remote Controllable Mic Pre's caught my eye. The question is, is it controllable through Pro Tool?

Old 09-12-2015, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Eh. Not hot on those choices.
Hey, no problem for me personally. Just wanted to bring in another option as nobody had
mentioned RME before and RME interfaces are working exceptionally well with Windows systems.

Quote:
It seems like more money for less stuff that the Studio 192 is offering!
I mentioned the relatively high prices but it´s the overall quality you pay for with RME interfaces.
But again, no problem for me personally .

I myself already have got the stuff which works perfectly fine for me. Was just trying to help.

Cheers.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Eh. Not hot on those choices. It seems like more money for less stuff that the Studio 192 is offering!
A racing car does not have a stereo, plush upholstered seats, electric windows or cupholders, but it delivers performance no street car can match. It also costs considerably more than most street cars.

A street car doesn't accelerate, brake, or corner like the race car, but it offers conveniences for day-to-day use the racing car lacks, and is more affordable.

One chooses based on what is best for the intended use. In an environment where things like monitoring, input processing and signal routing are handled by application-specific outboard devices optimized for their task, there's no need for that kind of stuff in an interface. In cases where space, cost, convenience and simplicity matter more than absolute performance, one may be better served by a more all-in-one interface.

More features doesn't necessarily mean "better" if it's at the expense of quality. High-end performance may not be better if it's at the expense of features the operator needs to get the job done. What's best for any particular application depends on the requirements of the task and the operator's preferences.