Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2014, 07:26 AM

Default Important info for users of Trim Enabler using Yosemite!

Hi guys, this is an important info about Trim Enabler with MAC OS Yosemite.
Some of you might have seen this already and checked it out for themselves but
for others who might get uncertain on getting this message Iīm going to post this.

If you are on MAC OS Yosemite and you install or activate/update Trim Enabler on
your system there will pop up a message asking you if you agree to "disable kext signing security setting".

"Kext signing security setting" is a new software setting in MAC OS Yosemite which does not allow any
3rd party driver to get installed on your system. Only Apple approved drivers will be allowed to be installed.

At the first moment this new feature may sound like a good idea as it seems to prevent your system from
"malware" but if one takes a deeper look into it one will see that it is actually a further restriction by Apple
to stop users to use other products than the ones made or at least approved by Apple.
Thatīs the next step after making it unpossible to replace Ram or drives at the whole new Mac hardware indeed.

Although I really love their stuff as it is well thought out and of great quality, this is just not cool at all IMO.
Are they that desperate or just immensely greedy? F... shame on you, Apple!

Anyway, what that does mean for all users of Mac computers with non-Apple-SSDs (everyone who got 3rd party
SSDs like Samsung 830s/840s/850s or any other brand) is, that they
need to allow Trim Enabler to disable "kext signing security setting"!
Other wise Trim Enabler will not be allowed to be installed and to work on MAC OS Yosemite (and for sure on future
MAC OSs) anymore.

Without Trim enabled (by Trim Enabler application) however all these 3rd party SSDs will get almost useless in a way.
Their speed will be reduced dramatically as well as their lifetime.

So, again, everyone who uses 3rd party SSDs with Trim Enabler on MAC OS Yosemite (or later then)
donīt forget/hesitate to allow Trim Enabler to disable "kext signing security setting"!

And finally doublecheck if Trim is enabled by going to
Apple Menu > About This Mac > More Info > System Report > SATA/SATA Express > (on the right side of the page)
Trim Enabled=yes (or no)

For more detailed and more technical info whoever may be interested may read this.
http://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/

So, if Apple really want to force millions of users to give their money to them only in the future (on using at least one
of their products), it at least would be kinda accommodation if Apple would offer their own SSDs to buy from their shop
for users of Pre-2013-Mac-Models for example.
Because the thing is that if it is an Apple SSD, Trim is enabled by default in the OS and one doesnīt have to use any 3rd
party application to use the SSD successfully.

But, honestly, I think thatīs not at all whatīs Appleīs intention. Obviously itīs more that all users of Pre-2013-Mac-Models
(no matter if itīs well working modern multi-processor-stuff which would be usable for years and a bunch of new MAC OSs)
should better thrash their computers as soon as possible and buy brand new Apple hardware instead (also if not necessary
at all and in some cases even less powerful than the older ones-like with the Mac Minis e.g.).

Well done, Apple, cleverly thought out.

On the other hand, you may say, no one forces me to buy a Mac and guess what? You are right.
When the time will come in the future to buy a new machine, I think I will hold my breath for a moment and seriously consider
who I will give my money finally.

Sorry in advance for my ranting and raving, I originally only wanted to inform all users of Trim Enabler about the new situation.

Anyway, the very best to all of you,

VRW

Mac Mini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, MacOS 10.10 Yosemite, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2, Genelec Active,
Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.2.1, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, Softube, HOFA, IK Multimedia, NI etc.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Important info for users of Trim Enabler using Yosemite!

I installed Mavericks in my Mac Pro and when I went to enable Trim I received the same kext signing message. It was Mavericks 10.9.5.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 10-22-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
I installed Mavericks in my Mac Pro and when
I went to enable Trim I received the same kext signing message. It was Mavericks 10.9.5.
Really? Thatīs crazy. I have had 3 Macs (2x Mini i5+i7, 1x MBP i5 2012) with Mavericks (always the latest versions)+
3 Samsung SSDs (2x 850P, 1x 840P) for the last few months and never got that message. For the first time when
I changed to Yosemite.

Also the programmers of Trim Enabler did not mention it before Yosemite at all.
There never was a report by cinder.org regarding Mavericks as far as I remember.

http://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/

Just saying because if this would have been reported about Mavericks already I would not have written this thread of course.
You may contact the makers of Trim Enabler via their website to report your issue.
http://www.cindori.org

Anyway thanks for the info.

All the best!

Mac Mini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, MacOS 10.10 Yosemite, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2, Genelec Active,
Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.2.1, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, Softube, HOFA, IK Multimedia, NI etc.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:13 AM

Sorry, should have mentioned I was using the Chameleon Trim Enabler. It asked me to update to the latest version and then told me it needed to reboot for the same message about kexts you mentioned.
I just did this yesterday from a fresh copy of Mavericks I downloaded from the app store over the weekend.
It was on a Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 10-22-2014, 10:55 AM

Default Important info for users of Trim Enabler using Yosemite!

And just about everybody else uses the original... http://www.cindori.org/software/trimenabler
Old 10-22-2014, 11:53 AM

Do you think there is a difference?
Not being sarcastic, genuine question.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:38 PM

Semi sarcastic reply: yes one was here first and is very widely used. Unless the other offers any strong benefit why use it?
Old 10-22-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
Really? Thatīs crazy.
The Gatekeeper issues are new to 10.9.5 and 10.10. If you haven't seen it in Mavericks yet it may be that you never used 10.9.5 and installed new things on it but kept using 10.9.4.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Semi sarcastic reply: yes one was here first and is very widely used. Unless the other offers any strong benefit why use it?

Touché!
In all honesty the Chameleon version was listed in the article I read about Trim. Didn't even know the other existed.
Computers....you learn something new everyday!

Old 10-23-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver M View Post
The Gatekeeper issues are new to 10.9.5 and 10.10. If you haven't seen it in Mavericks yet it may be that you never used 10.9.5 and installed new things on it but kept using 10.9.4.
Well, what can I say? I did use 10.9.5 and updated plugs regularly and tested/installed new ones
(Camel Phat, HotPhuzz, etc. 2-3 days before Yosemite came out...)
and there was no message. Thatīs why I was "surprised" that way after having installed Yosemite.

Anyway itīs not important anymore because thereīs no way out if one needs to use a Trim Enabler-
one just have to allow it to disable kexts if being on 10.9.5 or 10.10. which is the situation I wanted to bring to all users minds.

I just wanted to make clear that it needs to be done to be able to use all those great Samsung SSDs and others further on...
no matter if people should not feel comfortable disabling it or should be just uncertain what to do.

...and got just kinda mad about Appleīs progressing "policy" which simply is not cool imo. However they make cool products.
So. What the hell!

Btw I personally have a really positive experience with the cindori-version of Trim Enabler. Been using the free version first,
using the $10.- "Pro" version for a few months without any issues. They offer regular updates and are quite on time with new
OS stuff and other things. Canīt say anything bad about it, great tool, great support.

Thanks a lot everyone for all the info!

All the best everybody,

VRW