Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 02:20 PM

Default Carbon internal talkback distored

The quality of the talkback system on my Carbon seems wayyy off, in a bad way. Does the talkback system sound "okay" to anyone else?

For me, the amount of cooling-fan noise from inside the Carbon makes the talkback nearly unusable. But worse, and with gain in Hardware Setup set to lowest setting of 0dB, the system is quick to distort. If I talk with any amount of extra volume in my voice, about 1 foot away from the unit, it's overdrive city.

I've tried to test this on the Carbon's internal headphone amps, also routed outputs to external headphone distribution amps. All results are sub-par, to say the least.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Carbon internal talkback system - not great results here

Hi, well I quickly try the internal Talkback on my Carbon and could hear as you the noise you're talking about.I didn't realise it was the fan but of course it makes sense) in fact I thought I was doing something improperly and having no time to investigate I just decided to see later.....Didn't notice distortion on mine however.Anyway if it's normal behaviour, well I'm afraid this talkback is unusable.....
Old 02-08-2021, 11:42 AM

While I agree it ain't great, I use it strictly as a talk back.

That said, for my usage, I just simply insert Dyn3 gate, and I have no issues. Yes there is fan noise but the gate helps with that, and I've experimented with how much TB to send to the talent.

Also I have the gain set about 24.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Last edited by Cowboy Bob; 02-08-2021 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:00 PM

Today I got a reply from Avid - wow - great service! Someone at Avid Support saw this DUC post and emailed me.

So, the distortion I was experiencing is a known firmware issue. I rolled back PT from 2020.12 to 2020.11, reset firmware, and the mic levels are more realistic, not distorting anymore in normal use. I'll work in PT 2020.11 until next version rolls out.

For the fan noise, okay, I'll try a gate & finesse sends/volumes to talent. Thanks for that tip, Bob.

I also tried Waves x-noise, but that puts the talkback in 'native' mode with about 100ms delay. Waves z-noise introduced wayyy too much latency to be useful in a realtime use case. I'm going to try a demo of McDSP NR800 Noise Reduction Processor in AAX DSP mode & report back. Any other known/good noise reduction AAX DSP plugs out there?

Sure would be AWESOME if we could use an external microphone in the switchable/dimmable talkback system. I did try to use my own mic into input 24 (via adat), but that doesn't make use of switchable/dimmable functions that the talkback system utilizes.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:47 PM

Glad to see that CS got back to you already! Had you logged a support case for this?
Old 02-08-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Glad to see that CS got back to you already! Had you logged a support case for this?
Not to hijack this thread, but I’ll tell ya what, it sure seems that Carbon is getting a lot of visibility with CS and the development team members.

Kudos to y’all for that.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Old 02-09-2021, 04:02 PM
Avid

Shoot, I think myself or Kyle have spoken with all of you at one point or another!

Jeffro, yes, we have a case for table17.

Thank you all for your passion & your patience.

m
Professional Audio Systems

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!
Old 02-09-2021, 04:54 PM
Avid

Hello Everyone,

To follow up on this, we've recently discovered an issue with Talkback mic distortion on some units. We're working on a fix for this in the next Pro Tools release. In the meantime, please contact support for assistance if you haven't done so already. Thanks.
avid.com/learn-and-support/contact-audio-and-music-support
Berkeley, CA
Old 02-09-2021, 07:23 PM

yes, thanks, I have a ticket started. Firmware has helped with the distortion/level concerns. Fan noise... https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=418957