Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2016, 05:30 PM

Default Best workflow to match new cut of video?

I know a few ways to get the end result, but none of them are totally seamless.

I've created some audio work for a short film. There is no slate, 2-pop, etc. The editor sends a new version, but there are a couple edits changes that affect the timing.

How would you shift large chunks of the project (including markers) to match the edits?
Old 11-08-2016, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Best workflow to match new cut of video?

http://www.thecargocult.nz/conformalizer.shtml
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 11-09-2016, 06:42 AM

Tom is right, Conformaliser is the easiest way.

But,
If you only have a couple of changes.
Make a copy of your session so you can get back what you have if it messes up.
Put both old and new video tracks in PT with their guide tracks for reference.
Do all the following in frame grid.

Put a marker where the top of the section you want to move is and another where it needs to end up.
hide your new video + audio refs or they will get cut too.

Click in the timecode track to get a cursor across all tracks at the point you need to change and make a cut. Holding shift, click in the markers lane to select that also, (it doesn't automatically select with all the other tracks). Then go to the end of your selection and holding shift click in the timecode track there. This could be the end of the film if you're adding new material.

Then either delete the chunk you have highlighted and nudge back the later stuff or extract with the X key, type in your new timecode or click your marker and paste.

Remember to do all the above in frame grid mode and nudge to fine tune.

If you have an audio ref with the new quicktime, play that against your newly moved chunk to check sync.

Good luck.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Tom,

That entails getting a valid CMX3600 EDL, of both new and old cuts, not easy to get lately!!
Old 11-12-2016, 12:44 PM
The Cargo Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
That entails getting a valid CMX3600 EDL, of both new and old cuts, not easy to get lately!!
Why?
EDLs are extremely easy to export and it takes all of 10sec to do it.
if it's a big project you might find the editor does a bit of tidy-up work before exporting EDLs, but the actual export is child's play.

And if your picture editor really, really can't find the menu item to export an EDL, let me know. There might be something new on the way to help out....

Justin
Old 11-12-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cargo Cult View Post
Why?
EDLs are extremely easy to export and it takes all of 10sec to do it.
if it's a big project you might find the editor does a bit of tidy-up work before exporting EDLs, but the actual export is child's play.

And if your picture editor really, really can't find the menu item to export an EDL, let me know. There might be something new on the way to help out....

Justin
Justin,

I agree with you!!!
Been using Conformalizer going on 8 years now. You remember me, you helped me out with the DF bugs.
5 episodes of each Top Chef season are made 55 minutes, then cut down to the standard 44:30
166 edits on todays episode!
It's a fantastic tool. 25 minutes to conform at the slow speed setting. Paid for itself day one.
Creating EDLs in MC 8 is easier than ever. I can even do it. (Child's play)

But recently, I have had to do these by hand/eye/ear.

TV picture editors can't be bothered creating EDLs, nor tidying up. (You should see my AAFs!!)
AEs are getting stupid. They have no hindsight on creating a single video track, by removing the graphics, lower thirds, stills, etc. Dropping the pertinent parts to video track 1.
Yes, I need to use a single video track as an EDL.
These shows have 6 video tracks at times.
Then having them, do it the same way between the supersize, and cut down, yeah right.
Then they are cut 23.98 video, with a 29.97DF timeline. Having them revert the timeline to 23.98, is a lesson in futility.
Online edits 23.98 and so do I then gets converted 29,97DF on the Media Composer.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:08 AM

+1 Conformalizer!

Very recently I was strategizing with a "post supervisor" in anticipation of recuts of a few hours that were either already mixed or were in progress. The guy was baffled the anyone would want an EDL, saying he hadn't seen one in years. Then he said he didn't think his Avid's could create one anymore, which I assured he they can, then he insisted on reading Conformalizer's manual to see if I knew what I was talking about, after which he poked fun at the program and workflow that "looks so 90's". Finally the guy said he didn't want to introduce a new element into his AE's duties and suggested I should conform by hand.

I just charged an hourly overage to conform by hand.

This guy is "unenlightened" but he's not the only one.

Last edited by Postman; 11-13-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:06 PM

I would love to give Conformalizer! a go as it's always good to support local business. However we run PCs. Anyone have a suggestion for PC?

Thanks
Scott
Z690 AERO D Workstation, I7 3.6GHz 12 core, 64GB RAM, Win10 Business 64bit
Old 11-13-2016, 05:23 PM

Buy an old mac? It sounds preposterous but would get the job done. Old computers are cheap but stalwart.

Conform really ought to be built into Pro Tools, by the people who bring us Media Composer. Why oh why do they not bother?
Old 11-14-2016, 01:55 AM

An EDL is such a simple thing to ask for, I don't understand why some people refuse. We're so difficult because we need a standard file that takes 10 seconds to export? Color grading still uses EDL and XML so it's not that out of the ordinary.

Nevertheless, Conformalizer and EdiLoad are such great tools that save many hours and headaches.

I agree, reconform should be built in to PT but we've been saying that for ages. It would be trivial for Avid, especially to facilitate between MC. But it's one of many baffling shortcomings in the Avid Everywhere world....