Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2004, 11:58 PM

Default G5 optical digital output - working anyone?

Using an HD3 Accel/G5 setup with a Presonus Central Station. My intention was to connect the Mac G5 optical output to the digital/Toslink input on the Central Station.

I made the connection using a good “Live Wires” fiber optic Toslink cable, changed my Mac "Sound" output preferences on the G5 to “digital out” (optical digital-out port) and then played some audio through Quicktime Player and iTunes... no luck. No audio output at all through the Central Station. I restarted the Mac, rechecked my Sound preferences, double checked all Central Station settings and played the files through Quicktime and iTunes again, but still no go.

Any thoughts? Have you successfully done this? I know the cable I’m using is often used for ADAT lightpipe connections. Is there a difference between this cable and a stereo optical SPDIF (Toslink style) cable? I know ADAT lightpipe and optical SPDIF are two different protocols but I believe the cable is the same for each – or am I wrong on this?

Any insights any of you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
maxx
[email protected]
Old 08-29-2004, 06:38 AM

Default Re: G5 optical digital output - working anyone?

I don't have a G5 yet (its coming though) so I haven't tried that out yet. The cables are the same so that isn't your issue. Just double check that the volume is up on the computer, that you have the digital input selected in the main section of the Central Station and that you have the digital input switched to "TOS" for the toslink cable.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:28 PM

Thanks Jason,

I've done all that. Still no love. I've just heard that there are some firmware updates for the Central Station that might address certain strange behavior issues. If that is the case I'll post the news here.

Michael
Old 08-31-2004, 10:55 PM

Are you seeing levels on the Central Station? If not, then the problem lies before the CS. If so, the problem is the CS or after.

Hope this helps,

MasterJ