How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-05-2011, 11:13 AM

Default Re: 'nother Expansion Pack question

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkbmx View Post
So what if you own 2 eleven racks? Do you have to buy the expansion twice?
You should. Even if its possible to install on more than 1 Eleven Rack, it will still be a violation of the EULA.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-05-2011, 01:00 PM

Is that kind of like you aren't supposed to install the same version of Pro tools that you own on 2 of your own computers?
Old 03-05-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkbmx View Post
Is that kind of like you aren't supposed to install the same version of Pro tools that you own on 2 of your own computers?
Not quiet, you can install Pro Tools on many different computers, Im not sure what the EULA is anymore, but im pretty sure its over 10, generally you can install Pro Tools on as many computers as you want.

Its more like (before PT9) if you bought say the PT8 Upgrade, and installed it on your PC to use with your 003. Then you come across a Mbox 2 for sale used, that has PT7 included or no PT at all, and you install PT8 on another computer in the same room, hook up the Mbox 2 and have both PC's running PT8 at the same time. Then you have a friend who has a 002, but he is still running PT7, so you let him install PT8 on his machine and use it with his 002.

Or say a large computer lab has 20 PC's and 20 Mbox's that all came with PT7, but they only buy 1 PT8 Upgrade and install it on all their PC's so each student is running PT8..... ect.....

You can install it on as many PC's as you want, and use it with different interfaces if you want, but not at the same time, only 1 PC at a time or you are technically in violation of the EULA, which may or may not even be enforceable according to which lawyer you talk to.

So just because it may be possible, doesnt mean you should do it.

Of course they changed all that with PT9. Instead of using the Interface as a "licenses dongle" to run PT, now you must have an iLok with an Authorization on the iLok.

So im not sure how much $$$ they will put in to a "license" scheme for this update, if it will cost more than its worth, then you may have the ability to install the same Upgrade on multiple Eleven Racks. And if so, a few people will, but the vast majority of 11R owners only have 1 11R, so it may not be worth the hassle and man power to employ a protection system on the upgrade.

But then again they have a way to make the Update only "deploy" say 3 times. 1 for the first install and 2 backup installs in case tragedy strikes the 11R and you need to upload the ERXP again, leaving you with 1 backup install.

Or they could make it executable only once which I hope they dont do that.

Or perhaps they have a way where you cant actually Download the update and save it on your PC, but instead you enter your 11R serial number and it "flashes" the memory over the web.

Or perhaps when you buy it, you enter your serial number, which will then generate a licence file that you can download only once and install on your PC in order for the ERXP to be able to be executed and then installed on the 11R, ect.... ect.... there are many ways to do it, but it comes down to if its worth it.

If they dont protect it, how much would they "potentially" lose , or if they protect it, how much money are they spending to implement it and enforce it, as well as have plenty of customer assistance around to make sure a paying customer gets what he paid for. If a glitch were to happen where a few thousand buyers were given bad licences which could only be downloaded once, the resulting bad PR could cripple a products chances in the market, and could face law suits.

In my opinion, you always get better results from people when you expect the best from them, instead of looking at all your customers as potential thieves. The ones who will pirate or copy things will do so whether copy protection is there are not. Im sure there is a happy medium in there somewhere, where there is protection, but also the buyer has a right to a backup license.

Right now in software we are in a period where everyone is being treated as a thief, and the ones who pay for it is us, the customers who buy the stuff, copy/license protection has never hurt or frustrated a pirate.

In my opinion the entire marketing strategy is wrong, the same for Music and DVD's. Producers need to give people a reason not to just download a "free" song, but to buy it. And not with DRM (that was an awful mistake) but with an actual good product, that has a benefit to buying it. Perhaps a signed booklet, or special edition packaging ect...

well that reply was longer than expected

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-06-2011, 04:15 AM

At March 22. I will give you the answer to if you have to buy it once, or if it is in some way linked to the hardware.
I will anyway try to upgrade both my 11 Racks with only buying the upgrade once.
I'll guess this will work fine, as it would cost Avid more to make solutions to hinder this. There are not many enough that owns two units to justify the hassle for them (I think).
Old 03-07-2011, 07:08 AM

Anyone with an Eleven Rack can purchase and install the update, whether you bought Eleven Rack new or used.

Are you sure...I bought one 11R second last saturday and I can't even get registred to get hardware update...
and the support site is not effective..just give you a phone number abroad ...???
Old 03-07-2011, 07:54 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by EROJIJI View Post

Are you sure...I bought one 11R second last saturday and I can't even get registred to get hardware update...
and the support site is not effective..just give you a phone number abroad ...???
you should be able to get what you need from this link.

http://www.avid.com/US/support/support-contact

Select "France" from the pull down menu.

Here is some info from the page:

Vous pouvez acheter des codes de support Avid Support Codes pour le support au forfait pour tous les produits Digidesign. Visitez la boutique en ligne Avid.

En savoir plus sur les codes de support Avid.

Si vous avez besoin d'aide pour enregistrer votre produit ou si vous avez perdu votre carte d'enregistrement, cliquez ici, ou appelez le 00800 86824777 (appel gratuit) ou le +44 1 753 658 482.

I don't really know any French, but from what I can tell, there is a toll free number you can call regarding registration. Consider yourself lucky, in the United States we don't even have a toll free number to call.

Hope this helps.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack