Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2001, 10:40 PM

Default Hunting down free Loops(legal, but good) for PT...Suggestions?

Yep, I am. Any just percussion loops(no instruments playing in a certain key) would be most welcome. I would definitely appreciate some suggestions....

Thanks, Roy
Old 10-27-2001, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Hunting down free Loops(legal, but good) for PT...Suggestions?

Roy,

online sites are numerous. I've sent you links in the past ('bout a half-dozen or so) and I can post them again if you want.

But here are a few of the best:
www.samplenet.co.uk www.sonomic.com www.sounds-online.com

I got most of my samples (a few gigs worth) of loops from all the CDs that come bundled with my magazine addiction.
Mostly, I'm talking about Future Music, Computer Music and Sound On Sound from the UK.
They cost me quite a bit to purchase, but I cannot emphasise how worthy it's been to dish out my $35 a month on these 3 pubs. I really should get a subscription...
Simply put, they are very well written, very unbiased, great honst reviews about all the procuts we discuss here on the DUC, great tutorials on recording all types of music (I will admit they have a soft spot for electronic based, but not entirely), in terms that are easy to relate to.

For example, in the October issue, 12 pages about Compression. From settings, to types thereof, to when to use it and why and a round-up of 5 of the best hardware compressors available. So well explained, it all clicked within a half-hour. I knew the basics, but after reading that article, I 'understood' a little more.

Not only that, but on the CD, you get reader's demos and the critique in the mag (which I always learn from, as they explain what gear they used and how), tracks to follow along the tutorials in the mag, and last but not least, about 300-500 samples each and every month, copyright-free.

They're available at Virgin Megastore (if you have one near you) or Barnes and Noble.
www.futuremusic.co.uk www.computermusic.co.uk www.sound-on-sound.com

Roy, I didn't mean to ramble on or sound like an ad, sorry! I suppose I could have started a thread on 'resources'...

Good luck with the sample hunt and if your search yields dismal results, email me and I'll make you a CD loaded with good drum loops. BassTard has my e-address.

pk
Old 10-28-2001, 12:18 AM

pk, thank you so much......
Old 10-29-2001, 07:47 AM

Hi,
Please keep in mind that while a loop might be free on the web, it's possible that it's use in your music (if you are making music for sale) might not be free.

Be careful about using loops that do not have a stated discaimer telling you they are royaltee free if you care about such things.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 10-29-2001, 11:38 AM

I know what you mean, Mark. Gotta be careful. Some of the loops I hear are so 'stand-alone' complete, I wouldn't touch them anyway, because the real creativity is not mine. I'm talking about the ones that are not just percussion, but have an instrument or two that play an actual music theme.

I'm sure the free Acid 8-loop bundles have been made legally free to the public (and they're great), but unless they're just percussion that I can lay MY music over, I personally am not interested.

I've never depended on pre-made loops anyway, but I always try to be open enough to learn, and some of these new loops are incredible.

Roy
Old 10-30-2001, 03:32 PM

pk,

Man, I just have to really thank you for getting all those great loops to me via DaBasstard. I'll be 'auditioning' for quite some time.

But, both of you guys are as good as they come, and I won't forget it. If you ever need anything, just let me know.

Roy
Old 10-30-2001, 08:56 PM

No problem Roy,

I only included drum related samples/loops + a few others. The whole enchilada would have taken about 3-4 CDRs. Perhaps later on I'll get 'em all to you.

Although it's always fun to get new loops and samples to add to your library, I hate the long auditioning process... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Enjoy!

pk