Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2015, 07:44 PM

Never had a CPU spike yet on PT11HD here and frankly, I doubt it's physically possible to run PT faster or smoother than 11 already is.

At least that's from my perspective.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 05-21-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:44 AM

My gut feeling is that there is no empirical evidence whatsoever to back up claims that PT12 performs any better than PT11.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
My gut feeling is that there is no empirical evidence whatsoever to back up claims that PT12 performs any better than PT11.
Come on. Is it even possible to prove a feeling? A feeling isn't a claim either. It's something personal, and... *drum roll*... just a feeling.

We all know there's a massive amount of variables between the specific systems we all use, and therefore nearly impossible to compare experiences.

I'm glad I made the switch. I use HD 12 every day, and it performs well. I'm ready for upcoming PT updates, and have a PT HD 11.3.1 backup drive ready, just in case.

YMMV.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
Come on. Is it even possible to prove a feeling? A feeling isn't a claim either. It's something personal, and... *drum roll*... just a feeling.

We all know there's a massive amount of variables between the specific systems we all use, and therefore nearly impossible to compare experiences.

I'm glad I made the switch. I use HD 12 every day, and it performs well. I'm ready for upcoming PT updates, and have a PT HD 11.3.1 backup drive ready, just in case.

YMMV.
This "feeling" thing was started by a moderator.

JFREAK: " That is a tough thing to measure, but I have a GUT FEELING that PT12 handles plugin CPU spikes better than PT11 so therefore more usable performance than ever."
Old 05-22-2015, 05:39 AM

Default Impressed with PT 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
People who are bummed about track freeze and so forth... I understand that is a frustration but the other tools you get w PT are well above the standard stuff you get w others...

Really? Have you looked at any of the other DAWs?

Whilst I'm pretty much solely a PT user and have been for close to two decades, I do own a few other DAWs. The feature set on those apps are either on par or totally eclipse PT.

Last edited by Sardi; 05-22-2015 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbass View Post
This "feeling" thing was started by a moderator.

JFREAK: " That is a tough thing to measure, but I have a GUT FEELING that PT12 handles plugin CPU spikes better than PT11 so therefore more usable performance than ever."
Coolbase, the mods here are users like you, I use pt 12 HD also every day and I agree with Jfreak, it runs smoother on the same sessions than my pt 11.3 HD. We don't know (mods) what Avid really did under the hood with PT 12 beside what has been released in the read me. So just chill.

Wave-T.com
Old 05-22-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Really? Have you looked at any of the other DAWs?

Whilst I'm pretty much solely a PT user and have been for close to two decades, I do own a few other DAWs. The feature set on those apps are either on par or totally eclipse PT.
Really? So the bounce offline of the other daw enables you to bounce to wave, to mp3, to 5.1, multiple different stems all at the same time? It's just one example, but I haven't seen any other daw allow that.

Wave-T.com
Old 05-22-2015, 06:02 AM

Default Impressed with PT 12

Way to take what I wrote entirely the wrong way. Should we really start going feature for feature between apps? Just the MIDI implementation in other DAWs would put PT to shame.

Again, I'm a long time PT user with no desire to switch, but if you think it's the be all end all with more features than other DAWs, I'd seriously like to sell you some high end power cables.

Oh, and that's a HD only feature that you mentioned. I believe the person I quoted was talking about PT not PTHD.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Coolbase, the mods here are users like you, I use pt 12 HD also every day and I agree with Jfreak, it runs smoother on the same sessions than my pt 11.3 HD. We don't know (mods) what Avid really did under the hood with PT 12 beside what has been released in the read me. So just chill.
So this whole situation ,where moderators have to resort to speaking about gut feelings to defend the latest PT, does not bother you? It would have been inconceivable some years ago.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Way to take what I wrote entirely the wrong way. Should we really start going feature for feature between apps? Just the MIDI implementation in other DAWs would put PT to shame.
That I agree, for the midi side of things, PT could be much better, although it fits what I need it to do for Midi. But my personal opinion here, on the audio side of the program, editing, workflow, busing, automation, these for me are far superior to the way I work than the other daws I own for the sake of my clients needs at times.

Wave-T.com