Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2023, 06:15 AM

Default S1 FEATURE REQUEST: snapshots

I started a newbie thread here - https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=425002 , but having realised I'm not missing anything, felt a dedicated feature request one more appropriate.

The S1 / Control app is so feature-rich, it's amazing to me that it doesn't have snapshot functionality - a one-touch recall of any mode combination of the S1 and (if paired) the Control app.

To enter the fader-control mode of Cubase Quick Controls, you need to press and hold Aux, press and hold shift and then press flip, then press flip again - then press the Control's Channel tab. Pretty cumbersome. I'd love the main 3 or 4 desk modes mapped to the color softkeys. And why not implement saving a desk state in the tried and trusted car stereo preset method - press and hold any of the color keys to save the snapshot.

Is there some technical reason why this hasn't been implemented yet? There are so many esoteric functions and ways to control things in the OS or DAW, it's a bizarre omission to not have a simple one-touch recall of the console itself.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 06-21-2023, 08:25 AM
Avid

Default Re: S1 FEATURE REQUEST: snapshots

Neat idea! I'll think on it a bit
Old 06-21-2023, 10:36 AM

+1 for snapshot S1 and Control app recalls.
This could be a gamechanger!

Old 06-29-2023, 10:45 AM

At the very least expose all of the S1 buttons in the surface type command. That way you could assign a soft key to run a macro that would execute all those button presses.

I personally would love to create a macro for the S1 soft keys to click the Aux then Flip then Page. Then I could have all eight soft keys on an S1 open Send A to Send H in one click.
Old 06-30-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc2300 View Post
At the very least expose all of the S1 buttons in the surface type command. That way you could assign a soft key to run a macro that would execute all those button presses.

I personally would love to create a macro for the S1 soft keys to click the Aux then Flip then Page. Then I could have all eight soft keys on an S1 open Send A to Send H in one click.
In theory you wouldn’t need a macro for that, which is another level of complexity. Each desk state, after all, is just a bunch of 1s and 0s to the S1 - we have all the convoluted steps of having to press and hold one thing, press another etc, but this is an opportunity to get rid of that for most use. Just have a simple REMEMBER THIS STATE button.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 07-01-2023, 07:52 AM

We kinda do have that kinda of recall it's just not implemented on the soft key buttons on the bottom or in the manner your describing. LOve your idea BTW! If you have more than one S1 you can put the units into what's called Multi-Master mode and and set up any single unit to show just your VCA's or Folders . From there you can access all the individual spills and go back and also recall the last console layout.
It's not the same thing but the idea is actually there .. I do find it cumbersome to hold that shift key and tap the flip button and then flip faders .. I'd love to see your idea implemented in the future if that's possible ..
Cheers
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0007185/
coryrizos.com
Old 07-01-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
In theory you wouldn’t need a macro for that, which is another level of complexity. Each desk state, after all, is just a bunch of 1s and 0s to the S1 - we have all the convoluted steps of having to press and hold one thing, press another etc, but this is an opportunity to get rid of that for most use. Just have a simple REMEMBER THIS STATE button.
Well, it's a sequence of 1's and 0's so really it's a state machine which is more complicated, hence my suggestion. Anyway, I don't want to hijack your request. I'll open a separate feature request.
Old 08-05-2023, 02:55 AM

Default Re: S1 FEATURE REQUEST: sends on fader (color switch)

Hello!
I am new to this forum and hope it's ok to write that request on that thread. I assumed it would have more chance of reaching out.
I have 3 avid S1 that are intensively used for volume and sends.
I find really problematic not to be able to programm the color switch to do a send on fader.
For exemple; pressing the color switch 1-8 to would change S1's behavior to sends on fader (sends a-h) would dramatically save time, instead of pressing "aux"=>"flip"=>"next/previous page"=>"flip"=>"aux".
Thanks for reading me!
Old 08-05-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hello!
I am new to this forum and hope it's ok to write that request on that thread. I assumed it would have more chance of reaching out.
I find really problematic not to be able to programm the color switch to do a send on fader.
For exemple; pressing the color switch 1-8 to would change S1's behavior to sends on fader (sends a-h) would dramatically save time, instead of pressing "aux"=>"flip"=>"next/previous page"=>"flip"=>"aux".
Thanks for reading me!

This is an excellent idea and would make a real difference for me. The current system is really cumbersome and I find myself reaching for the mouse instead, which is a shame.
Old 08-05-2023, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hello!
Thanks for reading me!
Yes, great example use of snapshots.

How's your thinking going, Eddie?

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM