Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2016, 02:04 PM

Default Re: no side chain delay compensation for HD Native users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
I haven't tried it myself but I thought freeze/commit would be a workaround. This article may shed some light.

Does Track Commit Added In Pro Tools 12.3 Work With Side Chain Trigger Plug-ins?
this is good to know! I think the point they're making in this post is that when you commit a triggered track with a sidechain-slaved plugin on it, the Commit feature will render the effect you're hearing in real time to a new printed audio track.

The more I think about it too... using Commit instead of Freeze might be a better move for creating a "plugin-less" and/or "delay-inducing-less" duplicate trigger track, assuming Kregan's theory is correct. That way, you might have better session backward compatibility across different versions of PT and your trigger track will travel better bc it's simply printed audio.

Still need to test this...
Pro Tools|Ultimate 2023.12
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Old 02-05-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverH View Post
Currently, the only way around this (besides copying a trigger track and scooting it by ear, etc.) is if you have an HDX system and check the preference to have ADC apply to your side chain signals.

Yep that should be included with HDN
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:42 AM

What about if you disable adc on the track and simply slip it in time (to manually compensate latency)...

Darryl Ramm
Old 02-07-2016, 05:38 PM

Almost a year since this thread opened, not a single word from anyone connected with Avid about it. Not a "hey, we heard, we may get around to it, we may not", not a, "it's a technical issue and only HDX can handle it," (not that that would make any sense unless their entire delay compensation scheme is so insane that THEY don't even know how it works, and as far as I know is compensated for in Studio One), just complete and utter silence. Like my god, if I was a perspective customer and I looked at this site, I'd run away as fast as possible. We've got users complaining left and right about how the company treats us, users posting issue after issue and the only people offering assistance are their fellow users, and no form of representative of the company can be found (this isn't intended as a slight to our wonderful mods, just that they aren't, for instance, customer relations employees of Avid. Do those positions exist at Avid?). How the hell in the course of the last year and a half has no one in the Avid executive structure said, "guys, I think maybe we should do something before we've pissed them ALL off"? Literally having someone spend a day just going through the forum and letting users know that Avid is listening would be a huge start. Even when you specifically ask for some basic clarification on their product, no matter what you do you will not get a reply from anyone at Avid, at least not in the multiple attempts I've made.

I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship, I've spent waaaaaaay too much time learning Pro Tools to want to switch, and having done a lot of research, I don't see a product that holds the promise of Pro Tools. Particularly Presonus knows what's up in terms of communication with their customers. But Studio One isn't Pro Tools. Unfortunately, a lot of the time neither is Pro Tools, cause you're dealing with some nonsense or having to figure out some workaround to get something done that they've decided is a differentiating feature for HD only, for now, until they decide it isn't. Come on Avid, you can do better than this. A lot better.
[email protected]

Providing recording, mixing, and post-production audio services, as well as consultation and both on-site and remote pro audio tech support. Shoot us an email for more info!
Old 02-07-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyclash34 View Post
Almost a year since this thread opened, not a single word from anyone connected with Avid about it. Not a "hey, we heard, we may get around to it, we may not", not a, "it's a technical issue and only HDX can handle it," (not that that would make any sense unless their entire delay compensation scheme is so insane that THEY don't even know how it works, and as far as I know is compensated for in Studio One), just complete and utter silence. Like my god, if I was a perspective customer and I looked at this site, I'd run away as fast as possible. We've got users complaining left and right about how the company treats us, users posting issue after issue and the only people offering assistance are their fellow users, and no form of representative of the company can be found (this isn't intended as a slight to our wonderful mods, just that they aren't, for instance, customer relations employees of Avid. Do those positions exist at Avid?). How the hell in the course of the last year and a half has no one in the Avid executive structure said, "guys, I think maybe we should do something before we've pissed them ALL off"? Literally having someone spend a day just going through the forum and letting users know that Avid is listening would be a huge start. Even when you specifically ask for some basic clarification on their product, no matter what you do you will not get a reply from anyone at Avid, at least not in the multiple attempts I've made.

I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship, I've spent waaaaaaay too much time learning Pro Tools to want to switch, and having done a lot of research, I don't see a product that holds the promise of Pro Tools. Particularly Presonus knows what's up in terms of communication with their customers. But Studio One isn't Pro Tools. Unfortunately, a lot of the time neither is Pro Tools, cause you're dealing with some nonsense or having to figure out some workaround to get something done that they've decided is a differentiating feature for HD only, for now, until they decide it isn't. Come on Avid, you can do better than this. A lot better.

All of this is great stuff
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:45 AM

Hi guys.

Can you read this PT12 topic and give us a feedback ?

Thanks.
PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MBP)
PT 10.3.10 / PT11.3.2 / PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.8.5 (MM "Production" on SSD)
PT 12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MM "test" on HDD)
RME UFX (USB2 with MM and Firewire with MBP)
+ Vienna Ensemble Pro Server on PC Q6600/8Gb/Win7-Pro64-SP1
Old 03-06-2017, 10:22 AM

This is 2017 and it is outrageous that this is an HDX-only feature. I can't "Brauerize" my mix properly... To break something only with the intent to sell expensive hardware is something that makes all customers angry.

FROM THE PRO TOOLS 12.7 manual:

"Delay Compensation for Side-
Chains
(HDX Systems Only)
HDX systems let you automatically compensate
for signal delays in side-chain processing. In some
cases, you may want to disable automatic delay
compensation for side-chains (such as for sessions
created on previous versions of Pro Tools where
you have manually compensated for side-chain delays).
To enable (or disable) automatic delay
compensation for side-chains:
1 Choose Setup > Preferences.
2 Click the Operation tab.
3 Select (or deselect) the Compensate Side
Chains option.
4 Click OK."
Old 03-06-2017, 10:25 AM

Yes seriously, why aren't side chains compensated in all versions of Pro Tools. They are unusable for most purposes otherwise. It actually makes less sense it works on HDX, given the additional complexities of DSP. Come on Avid please compensate the side chains!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:56 AM

Perhaps they can't do it.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saptezsapte View Post
Perhaps they can't do it.
yes, looks like that!