Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2013, 07:21 PM

Default Performance difference on Macbook Pro

I currently have a late 2011 macbook pro 8.2 (2.7) with 16G ram with the dual install of 11HD and 10HD.

I have an opportunity to get an entry level mid 2012 macbook pro 9.2 (2.3) with 16G ram.

What kind of PT performance difference can I expect to get on the new 15" mbp?

As far as I can tell the only differences are: processor (ivy bridge vs sandy bridge) , USB 3 ports vs USB 2 and that's it.

avid compatibility doc shows current version and not previous ones as tested and qualified if I'm reading it correctly.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

Future System 2021 14inch M1 Pro / 16MB Ram / 512 / Monterrey
Old 08-04-2013, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Performance difference on Macbook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampmusic View Post
I currently have a late 2011 macbook pro 8.2 (2.7) with 16G ram with the dual install of 11HD and 10HD.

I have an opportunity to get an entry level mid 2012 macbook pro 9.2 (2.3) with 16G ram.

What kind of PT performance difference can I expect to get on the new 15" mbp?

As far as I can tell the only differences are: processor (ivy bridge vs sandy bridge) , USB 3 ports vs USB 2 and that's it.

avid compatibility doc shows current version and not previous ones as tested and qualified if I'm reading it correctly.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)
Hi

I would absolutely get the Ivybridge 2.3 GHz 16 GB ram as the processors are faster. if you don't have to mortgage your soul to make the trade I would go with the 2012. The USB3 ports are very much included in my opinion as USB2 vs USB3 is a huge difference in performance and you get a much faster and better RAM (DDR3L 1600) aswell as better graphics and overall better updates in the mid 2012 MBP. You also get a Thunderbolt ports on both but USB3 is really much faster than USB2.

Are you sure it is a 2.7 GHz you have as I think that the max GHz on the 2011 late i7 was 2.5 GHz ? I could be wrong but that was my understanding.

Just to be clear, If you ain't gonna take advantage of the full USB3 functions and not having big sessions with lots of VI's and PI's you might not see a HUGE difference but in the long run I believe you will notice quite a nice performance difference so as I said, if you feel you can afford the later model I would do the trade but if you are satisfied with the MBP you have now maybe you should wait a little while longer and save up for a brand new MBP retina when the all new models will be released later in the fall.

Sorry for the long post but in the end it is a money question and if you feel it is a great deal and you don't need a new Macbook then yes. If you want to have a real preformance difference and feel you will need thunderbolt and retina screen aswell as better processing power I would wait a bit and save up for the new MBPr as they will be a big difference towards any of these two mac's you are considering now.

Best Wishes
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-05-2013, 03:43 AM

Thanks for the excellent response Chris.

You are correct my current Mbp is a 2.4.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger. $1500 including max ram of 16g seems like a cant pass up deal.

question. On my current setup pro tools sees 8 proc. will that be the same on the 2012 Mbp ?

For some reason I have been cautious about the retina models because I'm not sure about upgrade possibility on ram. Unless they changed it I'm under the impression that ram was hard wired.

Out of curiosity what do the retinas have as far as advantages with exception of display? They seem to have less io. Any thoughts?

Thanks again

Future System 2021 14inch M1 Pro / 16MB Ram / 512 / Monterrey

Last edited by lampmusic; 08-05-2013 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 08-05-2013, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampmusic View Post
On my current setup pro tools sees 8 proc
I bet there are 4 real cores but "hyperthreading" tech makes them look like two each. In other words, if you see four cores used more heavily than four others, that is just normal.