Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2011, 11:32 AM

Default Re: The Big Upgrade PCI to PCIe. Native or Accel!!!

It's not so weird that a larger dealership would have old stock. Or perhaps Sweetwater hasn't fully learned about PCIe.... not sure...

And since the first PCIe models of computers were introduced in 2006, AVID supported the older PCI and PCIx technology for *five years* - a lifetime in computer years. So I think it's pretty safe to say that PCI and PCIX technology is truly, by now, 'legacy'... I'm looking at eBay now at PCI(x) G5's and people can not *give* these machines away it seems ... it's a PCIe world.
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by promixr View Post
So I think it's pretty safe to say that PCI and PCIX technology is truly, by now, 'legacy'... I'm looking at eBay now at PCI(x) G5's and people can not *give* these machines away it seems ... it's a PCIe world.
You apple only people mac me laugh.
Windows machines have a combo of both PCI and PCIE, so you can still use the cards no problems, thats why the cards are still sold, they are not legacy yet.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by promixr
The exchange does serve a good purpose, it allows end users to get rid of equipment safely that they would otherwise not use. Sometimes old- incompatible gear becomes a white elephant...
Quote:
well I merely wanted to point out that performing the exchange was still useful in this case, instead of simply throwing the AMIII away or something (it is by now surely worthless...)
No no no, you misunderstand me! It was the word "safely" that struck me. I assumed you were pointing out how we shouldn't be disposing of electronics in landfills, and that how letting Avid do it for us is somehow better, well, it struck my funnybone. I didn't mean to poke at you, really I didn't. I thought you made a great stretch to remain positive about the odd turn of marketing direction. Really, I admire that kind of positive attitude, something I seem unable to sustain.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:31 PM

Oh yeah (the wine has kicked in and the wife hasn't come home yet), I agree with SOund80y, as much as I hate typing his nickname because my fingers get tangled. I stay with Mac ONLY because I began Pro Tools life on a Mac (it feels comfy and it was my very first Mac) and integration with QT is smoother (like for importing audio cds, like for movie codec support of the vast majority of stuff I receive from my clients). That's it, in other ways I enjoy my PCs. They run just as well, they are just as powerful, all of my office functions are windows based, Windows 7 absolutely rocks, PCs are cheaper for an equal amount of power, and support for Windows is deeper worldwide than for Macs.

In the end it comes to a little bit more money for Mac, too, but no matter, when you look at the number of years that investment is spread across, it just doesn't matter much one way or the other. The endless complaining and debating of OSX vs. Windows is ridiculous. Linux is arguably better than both of them.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:43 AM

Truth is I've been holding out for a year because of the rumors and then TaDa a Native Card...Wow!!! Please....People kept telling me ..wait...wait...wait...
Old 01-24-2011, 04:16 AM

Quote:
It's not so weird that a larger dealership would have old stock. Or perhaps Sweetwater hasn't fully learned about PCIe.... not sure...

And since the first PCIe models of computers were introduced in 2006, AVID supported the older PCI and PCIx technology for *five years* - a lifetime in computer years. So I think it's pretty safe to say that PCI and PCIX technology is truly, by now, 'legacy'... I'm looking at eBay now at PCI(x) G5's and people can not *give* these machines away it seems ... it's a PCIe world.
I beg to differ. Digi/AVID has always offered both PCIe AND PCI-X HD cards at the same time. Even now it´s still on their official site.

Quote from the HD2 product page:

Quote:
What’s Included
1 HD Core card and 1 HD Accel card (PCI), or
1 Accel Core card and 1 HD Accel card (PCIe)

Frank.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:32 AM

I'm just pisssed because I feel like we in the post industry are the ones putting out major bucks for our PT rigs, We are also tried and true users. What am I supposed to do Upgrade to Native!!! That's ridiculous. I'm always defending Pro Tools and now I feel let down. I teach post and tell my students PT is the de facto standard. I'm also upset with everyone who has been telling me for over a year to wait. I should have done the upgrade a year ago...No thanks to a PC. Sorry I'm a Mac user for almost 30 years.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:32 AM

Everytime a developer discontinues support for an aging technology it creates issues for individuals who are still relying on the legacy technology. The march of technology is not perfect.

I'm definitely aware that there are still PCI architectures available as a choice for PC users. But the weight of the industry has now been thrown behind PCIe, and it appears to be a solid trend for the future. My pointing out what has happened in the Apple world was really about the time span since PCIe was adopted by Apple (5 years) - since the PC world is a little more 'all over the place' it's harder to pinpoint a cutoff... I think that the trends set by Apple are a pretty good indicator since they are the most successful tech firm *ever* and the platform of choice for a majority of AVID users... with that said- I'm quite comfy on the PC or Apple- Pro tools is Pro Tools... it's just now PC users will want to have PCIe in their machines like Apple users have had *for five years*

There are also some technological advantages of PCIe that directly impact audio and video, so it makes sense to throw development and support resources behind PCIe, rather than an expansion slot format that is due to completely disappear.
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Old 01-24-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
No no no, you misunderstand me! It was the word "safely" that struck me. I assumed you were pointing out how we shouldn't be disposing of electronics in landfills, and that how letting Avid do it for us is somehow better, well, it struck my funnybone. I didn't mean to poke at you, really I didn't. I thought you made a great stretch to remain positive about the odd turn of marketing direction. Really, I admire that kind of positive attitude, something I seem unable to sustain.
I actually never got a straight answer from AVID when I asked them what they do with the exchanged gear, I'm hoping they dispose of it in an ecologically sound way, someone at AVID once told me that a small portion of the working systems get donated- but I'm not sure of the details or anything... I think it's something that folks who take advantage of the exchange would probably like to know... and I didn't feel you were poking at me : )
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Old 01-24-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
There are also some technological advantages of PCIe that directly impact audio and video, so it makes sense to throw development and support resources behind PCIe, rather than an expansion slot format that is due to completely disappear.
From a technical POV what you say makes sense (apart from the fact that in a way the whole HD-system is "aged" technology regardless of what bus system it uses) . IMO it just doesn´t from a business POV.

Let me re-cap the current situation:

1) You can still buy brand new PCI-X and PCIe HD systems. Not left over stock at dealers but also still advertised on the AVID site.

2) You can still upgrade from legacy LE-Systems as old as an AMIII.

3) You can neither cross-grade from a CURRENT (see #1) PCI-X system nor from a legacy "premium"-system (Mix+, Mix, AudioVision). Nor can you "cross"-grade to HD native (which would actually be a down-grade in terms of hardware capabilties coming from PCI-X HD)

Does AVID think users that fall under #3 will now rush to the stores and buy a brand new PCIe HD system?
I guess not. They will rather "downgrade" to a native system and be lost for ever as "premium"-customers for AVID or buy a Magma-chassis from a third party mfg (again AVID won´t make a $ on this)

So what´s the business point of doing this?
No matter what is going to happen, it´s quite a remarkable move looking at Digi´s history of hardly ever cutting off upgrade-support even for the oldest legacy hardware to keep their users tied to the brand. I´m very curious what the next move will be.