Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2010, 09:51 AM

Default Tube or Solid State Poweramp?

Hopefully I haven't missed a post addressing this; however...not being a transistor, tube, amp tech-y - I just love plugging into amps and having great sounds - which type of poweramp makes sense with modelers, tube or solid state?

Maybe I'm not thinking clearly or over-thinking this, but if the modeler models tube tones, wouldn't it make sense to simply amplify (increase the output) the model with as transparent an amp as possible or not?

I'm not talking preferentially, I'm talking amplifying sound/output. I also know the cab sim would/should typically be turned off, but maybe not, depending on your preference.

Also...I notice in the Avid vid showing the live connectivity options, Sean Halley gestures to the floor when he says it's been plugged into a poweramp, but it's not stated what poweramp. Is that information Avid doesn't want to get involved with or is it available?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Tube or Solid State Poweramp?

If you're depending upon a tube power amp to add color, then the question becomes "which color"?

So, yes, it makes sense to use transparent amplification.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Tube or Solid State Poweramp?

Hey Brianiac5150,

There have been a few threads regarding this topic here and over on elevenrackpresets.com and on the gear pages...there are a ton of tube power amps to choose from out there.

One really cool looking piece of gear is the tube power amp & a cabinet from 3rd Power Amps...check it out here...
http://www.3rdpoweramps.com/product_sv3015.htm

Ther's also the stuff from Fractal Audio...
http://fractalaudio.com/products-at-reactor.html

Some of the more popular solid state choices I've seen mentioned are:

Rocktron Velocity 300
A.R.T. SLA-2
Carvin DCM200L
Peavey IPR1600

You can also go the powered monitor route...Check this thread out that VSA posted about a couple of monitors that he compared...
http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/for...=2746#Post2746

Later
Mike