Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2009, 01:18 PM

Default Sync camera's to a pair or 192's

Oddly enough, I haven't found much on here or google on the topic of syncing cameras during tracking so here goes:

I am doing a live recording of a concert (5 HD cameras and two 192s) and the camera crew needs some kind of sync. Can I simply send smpte to them from one of the 192s or is a separate sync device needed. They are from an HD television station so I'm sure they do this but idk if any of them actually know how to set it up (the station was probably setup for them...?) and I want to make sure my rig has everything needed. Thanks
Old 10-20-2009, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Sync camera's to a pair or 192's

Uh, there isn't a smpte from the 192. That's what a Sync I/O / HD is for.

:)
Old 10-20-2009, 03:21 PM

Can't you lock to their clock reference?
Old 10-20-2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks Sean, that's why I asked "is a separate sync device needed?" I didn't suggest the 192 had smpte I asked what I needed... I could lock to them I'm sure. Do I need the Sync I/O either way?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:13 PM

min. needed:
a Tri-Level generator that also spits out Word Clock or Tri-Level to WC converter

set up adds a Sync HD so Pro Tools can take the same Tri-Level as the cameras and LTC from a camera

next step up a master LTC generator that feeds all cameras and Pro Tools
http://www.locationsound.com/proaudio/ls/SDEN0006.html

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-20-2009, 05:14 PM

Is this a full-on "network broadcast" taping? If so, they should be well set up to supply you with a reference signal and TC from the video truck so you can chase their recorders. You'd probably want a video feed from the master record as well. Talk to the TD.

If you don't have a Sync HD or I/O, you can lock to a word clock signal if they have one to send you (which would be derived from their video reference source). But without a sync device of some kind you're going to have a hard time getting time code coherency. Without that, I don't see the point of clocking your PT rig to their reference. You definitely need a Sync I/O or HD for best results.

I can't imagine a pro video crew would be interested in trying to genlock their camera & video gear (switchers, recorders, etc.) to your audio rig so it's on you to sync with them. If they don't know how to run a multi-camera show and manage the sync issues inherent to that, I think it might be a bit out of scope for you to try to do it for them.

But I'm wondering if all this is even necessary. Can you just freewheel your recording and sync things up later in post?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:19 PM

Chances are, if they are just a TV station, they won't be doing Tri-Level sync, just your basic blackburst...at least that's how we run our HD truck.

You will need, AT LEAST, a Sync I/O to accept their video sync and house TC, as I think someone else has already suggested.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:47 PM

no, it's not live to broadcast and there is a LOT of post work. Last time we just flew off a 4-count click (sent to PT and to the cameras) at the top of each 1 hour set and I guess it worked for them. I'm sure they have some kind of sync between their cameras... so I could just tap into this with a sync i/o added to my HD rig? Sorry if these are dumb questions but I haven't dealt with a lot of a/v tracking. I was under the impression that, without some kind of sync the timelines might not match perfectly when brought together...?