Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2008, 06:07 AM

Default Of All PT Bugs - This one - Is the most candid one...

I have NEVER had any problems running large count sessions 48 & 96 khz = No problems.

Yesterday "all of a sudden" I couldn't even play an 8 tracks session without getting the SBOD when hitting play. A message appeared telling me that PT could not get audio fast enough of off the drives. It mattered NOT which settings I tried in the PB Engine (Been trouble shooting since yesterday evening).

Yesterday - Like every week I backed up my recording drives and initialized them. No news. Only this time - I changed the names of the drives. That aint no new thing for me either. However, this time I used a character that was a little more exotic that usual:

This character: — (You can create it with shift+Alt+ dash-mark (or minus - not sure what its called)

I had called my FW800 drive - PT HD — Record.

So I thought that the problem was the drive or a faulty session. So I copied the session to another FW800 Drive called PT HD — Mix. The same problem persisted on that drive. So I said to myself: It aint no drive problem. And it was not.

Today I copied the session to an internal drive called: Sound. No problems there - I could go to the lowest buffer values and hit the timeline with the mouse while in play.... No stutters no problems at all.

So my Trouble Shut mind started spinning - and it told me: Either all your FW800 drives has gone bad overnight or something else is wrong.

So I looked back at what I had changed - and the only thing was: I had named the drive with a "—" between the ending words.
So I erased the "—" from the drive name and reopened the session - Now I could not get PT to stutter. So I tried re-entering the "—" to see if the problem would come back.... Hitting the timeline with the mouse while PT was playing immediately brought up the error again. So I removed the "—" and ALL problems were gone....

Now, I have found ONE character causing this problem... I wonder how many others COULD cause it....

I find it VERY outdated that the "industry standard" of the rec industry cant even use standard characters on an OS X keyboard.
I have been reporting problems about illegal character before but it always get downplayed to me wanting to have too exotic characters in my workflow. PT NEVER reports that "—" Character is illegal. But in my book it is now.

Please Digidesign - conform not only audio regions - but ALSO your VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY old fashioned ways of using characters.

This by the way is most def. a BUG - and I can recreate it every time. So I suggest you guys take it easy on your characters when using old A** PT
Old 04-03-2008, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Of All PT Bugs - This one - Is the most candid one...

Hi, this is no news. As a brazilian (we speak portuguese language down here) I always had problems with different character than the usual, not just on drive names but on session and track names also. Using things like ã, õ, ç, etc... that are very common in my language always leads you to trouble. So, just keep it simple...

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 04-03-2008, 08:19 AM

If that is the case - then the term "Industry Standard" just lost it's meaning - or at least the ""Industry Standard" is NOTHING to pride oneself with...

Old 04-03-2008, 08:20 AM

Like he said, that's not a standard character. - is standard you're somehow typing a long dash which I get with opt+shift+- (—)

- is different than —
Old 04-03-2008, 08:30 AM

Well - to me typing ALL possible character has been S T A N D A R D - for Y E A R S... in OS X.

So if an application is not able to handle that OS X standard it should not dare call it self Compatible. Or at least add stuff like this to known issues.

But how would it look on a commercial.

Multi Platinum Recording DAW - that never crashes.......... Unless you use every character that OS X offers.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Well - to me typing ALL possible character has been S T A N D A R D - for Y E A R S... in OS X.

So if an application is not able to handle that OS X standard it should not dare call it self Compatible. Or at least add stuff like this to known issues.

Multi Platinum Recording DAW - that never crashes.......... Unless you use every character that OS X offers.

are you being serious?

apple themselves discourage the use of alt characters and spaces in their hard drive names.
in fact thats common knowledge on most operating systems.

nah, it's all digi's fault...
Old 04-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Avid

Quote:

This goes right back to the previous thread you posted - the reason this is considered 'illegal' is that it's not cross-platform compatible. Pro Tools has to maintain cross-platform compatibility - even if you, personally, have no use for it.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:21 AM

So please add to the next Manual a list of characters that ARE illegal... That would be nice.

Are you telling me that I cannot make a "—" on a PC ?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
are you being serious?

What do you think, Big guy?

Quote:
apple themselves discourage the use of alt characters and spaces in their hard drive names.
Do they now... Then please be so good and explain to me WHY - in their adds for the CPU's do they use this name:

"Macintosh HD" - There's a space in that name. My My.

And why are computers with pre-installed systems being delivered with "Macintosh HD" as the default name. Either you or Apple are seriously getting the facts mixed up.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
This goes right back to the previous thread you posted - the reason this is considered 'illegal' is that it's not cross-platform compatible. Pro Tools has to maintain cross-platform compatibility - even if you, personally, have no use for it.
I just made a TextEdit document - with your so called illegal characters : Lots of them.

Then I saved it and ported the document to a Windows XP NTFS File system. It opened just fine. Am I missing some extremely obvious here???? Or how can those illegal characters be illegal if Windows is able to handle them.

Maybe it aint WIndows which is the culprit but PT...

PS | I aint saying that you are wrong - you probably know a whole lot more about this than I do...

But even if so... What if windows will NOT continue to develop - are Mac Users going to keep being punished for that.?????