How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2011, 10:08 PM

Default midi drum tracks in pt8

Hi,
so, up until now I have been using a seperate instrument track for each drum sound, kick, snare, hi-hat etc, and insert my instrument on each of the tracks, im using komplete7, so its pretty taxing on the cpu...

my question is, because im usually using the same kit, can i record everything on the same track and then jus aux out each drum sound to another track without having to insert the instrument onto each subsequent track? i just want to find ways to conserve cpu power, i can continue doing it the way im doing, just wondering what is best for midi drums...yes, im a novice producer, but not a novice songwriter/performer,lol...i can get my songs out pretty well, but they just seem to take ages...i need to find ways to speed everything up...

thanks in advance to all who respond
Old 01-10-2011, 10:33 PM

Default Re: midi drum tracks in pt8

Can't you just instantiate the VI on one stereo track and turn down the volume. Then set up as many aux tracks as you need and set the input to each track from the different output channels of the VI? I am not familiar with Komplete 7 but I know with strike you can do it.
You would set the kick to output 1 and make that the input on the 1st aux track. The snare to out 2 and use that as the input to aux 2 etc.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:22 AM

I have a question along the same vain - new to Pro Tools (have Le 8) and will be getting a drum controller soon. I have a lot of experience with drum producing in other software and generally like to run different 3rd party FX on each drum hit (but with a consistent reverb track to bring it all together).

What is the best software for MIDI drum mapping in Pro Tools to achieve this effect? I'm not looking for software that provides samples as i have all that - just something to go hand in hand with an MPD or PadKontrol that achieves the above...

All help appreciated
Old 01-11-2011, 08:18 AM

For starters, ezdrummer and SD2 both allow a single Instrument track to be split out to mutli-track(either AUX or AUDIO) so you can mix and treat the entire kit just as you would for a multi-tracked acoustic kit(can't speak for other drum programs but I imagine most can do this). SD2 and EZ also have a built-in mixer page and you may find that adequate for your needs. sproyd should start a new thread as that question is really a separate issue. BTW, I trigger my drum VI's with both a Roland TD-10 kit and an M-Audio Trigger Finger, with excellent results. The ultimate for me is the Roland kit with real cymbals and hat, with 3-4 mics.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave