Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Repairing Disk Permissions

I need to designate a couple of drives as AUDIO VOLUMES and simply trashing the Digidesign Databases and restarting isn't doing the trick. Question is, can you run Disk Utility on these external drives without having to startup with a seperate OSX System Startup Disk? I don't even "have" a seperate startup disk anyway as my system was bought from an individual and it wasn't included. Or, is there a way to "create" a clean OSX Startup Disk? Anyway, however it gets done, I need to get these drives where they are not simply Playback or Transfer only.Or, do I have to reformat these drives again? Thanx...Ron Fairchild PT HD3 7.2 on OSX MAC G4 with not as much RAM as I would like!
Old 06-02-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Repairing Disk Permissions

Assuming they are not your startup drives, you can run DiskUtility on them and reformat them or repair them.
If there is nothing on them then reformatting is the best option (Mac HFS+ journalled).

You set them to RECORD, PLAYBACK or TRANSFER in the workspace browser.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I need to designate a couple of drives as AUDIO VOLUMES and simply trashing the Digidesign Databases and restarting isn't doing the trick. Question is, can you run Disk Utility on these external drives without having to startup with a seperate OSX System Startup Disk? I don't even "have" a seperate startup disk anyway as my system was bought from an individual and it wasn't included. Or, is there a way to "create" a clean OSX Startup Disk? Anyway, however it gets done, I need to get these drives where they are not simply Playback or Transfer only.Or, do I have to reformat these drives again? Thanx...Ron Fairchild PT HD3 7.2 on OSX MAC G4 with not as much RAM as I would like!
Hi Ron,

In workspace is it not possible to change these to "R" in the columns for audio and video?

If not then you'll need to right click on the drives and go to get info and the look at details/ ownership & permission and set owner to read and write!! then you'll have to log out and then back in again and that should reset them for read and write operations.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:04 PM

Thanx to you both. I will try this tomorrow morning when I get back. I am sort of "new" to MAC OSX, coming from a PC world when I was LE. Logging in and out is a different animal here from the other world. But I knew that when I could not designate "R" from WORKSPACE that I was looking at a PERMISSIONS issue. I can reformat if needed since there is not much on either drive to remove. They are just "parking" some large sessions that need to be archived anyway.----Ron Fairchild
Old 06-04-2007, 05:00 PM

It's a done deal. Thanx. Things work a bit different in OSX as opposed to a PC!!! Once you do anything once it becomes a simple thing from there on... The Journey Continues......
Old 06-04-2007, 05:49 PM

Ron,

I can't stress this enough: RUN, don't walk, and get an OSX startup disc. In a perfect world, it will have the version of OSX that you are using. In case of disc problems, ONLy the apple startup disc will save you. Some of these are DVDs and also include Apple Hardware Test on it.

You ahve no way to re-install your OS if something should happen... "archive and install" is a common solution to correct OS issues... you are out of luck if you need to do this...

If you can find the "restore" disc(s) for your hardware that would be ideal. You may find what you need on ebay? Hope this helps.