Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2016, 06:59 AM

Default Acoustic Guitar Mic'd 11 Rack

I'm brand new to recording, and fully understand it's an art (and science) that has many nuances that can take years (and more) to master. Having said that, quick question.

I figured out how to mic my acoustic via 11 Rack/Pro Tools and record. I believe that since my 'input' in PT is "mic in"...that I'm simply recording the dry signal (which is what I want).

I was very surprised at just how horrible the playback sounded (whether through the iMAC speakers...or my Yamaha HS5's).

I cannot even believe it. Again, I realize the number of variables (mic, distance from sound hole, angles of mic, room dynamics, etc etc) but, man, this is so far from sounding like anything even remotely good...I'm not talking about fine tuning here. It's really bad. To the extent that I thought maybe the mic was broken (but, trying my acoustic direct via cable resulted in pretty much the same horrible sound).

To try and paint the picture, I've recorded myself in the past just for fun using my laptop video camera (and whatever mic is in the cheap laptop) and it sounded FAR superior. It's just so far off that it's got me stumped. I had a very inexpensive presonus set up for about 1 day a couple years back (long story) and had no idea what I was doing and the playback of some quick chord progressions I recorded sounded like I was Dave Matthews Live at Radio City...compared to the playback I'm getting now.

I'm sure I'm just missing something. Do you think its something wrong...like I have some kind of setting wrong to get a dry signal? I'm brand new to all the I/O stuff and the set up so I'm sure it's just a learning curve. Thanks again. I'm having a blast with all of this...and love this forum.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Acoustic Guitar Mic'd 11 Rack

Hey

Somethg to think about is put the info needed for anyone to help otherwise everyone will just keep guessing and that will only result in unnecessary long threads,

Read the help us help you on the top of every page and come back with the info needed.

Every detail needs to be the exact version and model nr

Computer model
Ram
Hdd exact model VERY IMPORTANT
OS exact version
PT exact version
Interface
Other peripherals
Etc etc etc

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-13-2016, 08:25 AM

Chris,
Thanks. Yes, sorry...I thought I had put my set up (albeit some gaps...gotta find out a versions) in my profile. I'll get more info before posting again. For this thread, here it goes:

(set up all purchased within last two weeks)
- 11 Rack
- Yamaha HS5 Monitors
- Latest Download of Pro Tools (not HD, whatever the "regular" Pro Tools is)
- iMAC 32GB, Quad Core i7
- Mic (PResonus, but not sure of the model. It works even when I don't put phantom power on, if that helps)

Sorry if this isn't detailed enough. I'll reread the help us help you tonight when I'm in front of my set up. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:39 AM

How good is the acoustic? Most inexpensive guitars sound bad right from the start. Then, you are using a Presonus dynamic mic?....not exactly considered a "go to" for acoustic guitars(most of us use condenser mics that cost way more than the Presonus). Despite that I use a $600 Miktek C5, I have heard great acoustic recordings done with a used $125 Shure Beta 87(with a good sounding guitar). Don't get me wrong here, I am not picking on you. Its just part of the learning process Once you have a good sounding guitar and a decent mic, the room is also contributing(most likely) and that can be tamed for low bucks. If you are on a hard floor, put down an area carpet(thicker is better) and drape a moving blanket over a boom stand(setup like a letter "T") and place that about 3 feet in front of your playing position. That will tame many of the reflections you may be getting now(from the wall and floor) The fact that you recognize that you are not getting what you want is a good thing. Now you just need to learn how to improve, whether its your gear, your room or your techniques

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-13-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RingCircus View Post
Chris,
Thanks. Yes, sorry...I thought I had put my set up (albeit some gaps...gotta find out a versions) in my profile. I'll get more info before posting again. For this thread, here it goes:

(set up all purchased within last two weeks)
- 11 Rack
- Yamaha HS5 Monitors
- Latest Download of Pro Tools (not HD, whatever the "regular" Pro Tools is)
- iMAC 32GB, Quad Core i7
- Mic (PResonus, but not sure of the model. It works even when I don't put phantom power on, if that helps)

Sorry if this isn't detailed enough. I'll reread the help us help you tonight when I'm in front of my set up. Thanks for the feedback.
Great

We need the computer specs so when you are home press the "about this mac" under the Apple logo and write down ram specs and of huge importance the hard drives, do you record to the same hard drive and if so, what model?

Best

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-13-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I figured out how to mic my acoustic via 11 Rack/Pro Tools and record. I believe that since my 'input' in PT is "mic in"...that I'm simply recording the dry signal (which is what I want).
Yes, that is correct.

And a common beginner mistake is to turn up the preamp gain high so the input nearly clips or just sound horrible anyhow. Just to give you a ballpark to start at, try recording the guitar so peaks are at -20dbFS on the input meters in Pro Tools, with meters in pre-fader mode so you see what is actually hitting the ADC converter.

Then all the things Dave said. Look up videos on You Tube for how to mic an acoustic guitar. If you are not already, get a pair of closed back headphones (so they don't bleed to the mic) or better IEM and monitor through them, that may help you quickly play around with mic positioning, gain etc. Then you can actually record with one ear uncovered or no headphone, but they can be a a useful tool for messing around. See if you can borrow a condenser mic from somebody etc.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:39 AM

Dave,

Thanks. I have a Breedlove Stage Concert, which is by far the best quality guitar I've had. The interesting thing, like I mentioned, is that even on my cheap laptop (using the video recorder) it sounds great (relative to the playback via my current sett up. I can't imagine it's that.

That's a good question about the Mic. I'm not sure. Tonight I'll check the model and figure that out. I have a feeling its a cheap mic, but again that's what has me baffled. I've used it in the past (different, much cheaper interface) and it sounded 100x better. Maybe it's broken? (absolutely could have been in my move).

Absolutely, I know I have a LONG way to go and a lot to learn. But also that's kinda why I'm baffled...

I'm not talking about fine tuning here...the playback sound is extremely poor...almost like there is an effect on it (but, not a good one). That's why I'm wondering if I have a setting wrong or something. And, I thought maybe the mic was broke...but same horrible playback after recording direct (electric acoustic...via cable)

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I'm not talking about fine tuning here...the playback sound is extremely poor...almost like there is an effect on it (but, not a good one). That's why I'm wondering if I have a setting wrong or something. And, I thought maybe the mic was broke...but same horrible playback after recording direct (electric acoustic...via cable)
A cheap peamp (like in the Eleven Rack) being driven too hard or the converter clipping can sound like crap, a bad distortion effect etc. So again start by looking at your recording level.

If you record a spoken or singing voice does the same mic/signal chain sound OK?

You are recording electric acoustic how exactly? With what exact pickups (make/model and any preamp etc.) Into what input, if using Guitar In with what rig components do you have active?
Old 09-13-2016, 09:59 AM

Not sure if this will help, but here is an Avid|Blogs video I did showing how to record Acoustic Guitar with the Eleven Rack

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-13-2016, 10:02 AM

Darryl,

Thanks for the feedback. For recording level, do you mean the 'gain' on the mic on the 11 Rack? (where I plug the mic into the front of the 11 Rack there is a gain control for the mic). Does recording level refer to the volume?

Voice. Great question I didn't think of. I will record my beautiful singing voice tonight to see what the result is.

The bad result I'm referring to with the thread is via a mic...and that's how I prefer (I think) to record my acoustic guitar via mic (not with the direct line/pickups) so my question here all revolves around recording with the mic, using 'mic' as the 'rig input' on the 11 Rack...and using 'Mic In' as the input on Pro Tools. I only mentioned trying it direct as an example for the fact that it was the same horrible result no matter the mic or direct ( I had though maybe the mic was broken so I tried direct).

-Bryan