Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 12-29-2004, 05:50 PM

Default Major problems.

Hi all. I have recently installed PT Free on my machine which is slightly underpowered, I am running ME and it is a Medion 1.5gHz, 256 sd ram, 40 gig hard drive. It installed no problem but now when I start it, it gets to the DAE part in the startup process and begins to crash. Occaisionally it gets past this stage but then gets to the midi part and crashes again. I am using a soundblaster audigy 2zs card. When I uninstalled this, it worked briefly and then I reinstalled it and it worked once. Again now it is being VERY temporamental. Are there any known issues between these products? I also use norton internet security 2005 which has caused my PC a lot of problems in the past, should I disable this when using PT? Do you think that if this machine was a lot more powerful that this programme would also run better???? Many many thanks in advance for answering this boring post.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Major problems.

Try a search for audigy and look for the topic of drivers.

SB Drivers:

There are 2 drivers out there that work better than the stock Creative drivers apparently, KX and APS. Search the forum; I know the links are there somewhere.

As far as the Norton goes, PTF is finicky. I recommend using control alt delete to display your applications and closing ALL programs other than explorer before you launch PTF. Also, set up a 2nd hardware profile, call it Pro Tools and disable your NIC and every other piece of hardware that you will not be using when you are working with PTF. This has worked well for me.

Here are some other things I recommend:

Tweaking Tips that worked for me:

bilco