Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2001, 09:33 AM

Default AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH - The new G4 533DP I just ordered isn\'t supported????

"Not Supported
Dual 533 MHz Power Macintosh G4

Notes: Digidesign has completed all qualifications for Apple's year 2000 dual processor G4 models listed as supported. Testing has not been completed on the new dual processor 533MHz Power Mac G4 model announced by Apple in January 2001.

Currently, Pro Tools 5.0.1 and other Digidesign software products do not utilize the dual processors in the G4 computers for performance improvements. This will be included in future software releases."

holy crap! i can't believe this. i just ordered this computer yesterday!!!
i'm sure, (I HOPE) digi will put a stamp of approval on this thing real soon!

GASP!!!
Old 01-12-2001, 09:49 AM

Default Re: AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH - The new G4 533DP I just ordered isn\'t supported????

You should also cancel your order for the car that runs on bottled water. The price per gallon is more than gas!
Good Luck!

PS There are new Macs with faster cpu and more features that may treat you better in the long run.
I think dual is dead for now!
Old 01-12-2001, 09:51 AM

Default Re: AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH - The new G4 533DP I just ordered isn\'t supported????

whew!
called digi and customer support said it's just a matter of time before the new DP G4 gets the stamp of approval.

my head almost exploded!

no, the dual should be good when 0S X and PT 5.1 comes out. that's why i opted for it.

apple will be making DP 667s and 733s in the summer. they just don't have enough CPUs right now.

[This message has been edited by VanEdge (edited January 12, 2001).]
Old 01-12-2001, 10:08 AM

VanEdge

You did the right thing, the DP machines rock with Logic and PT will support them soon - it will make a massive difference in real terms for the price on OSX.
Old 01-12-2001, 10:35 AM

If it's not too late to cancel the order, you might want to do so. I'm sure Digidesign will approved some configuration of these new machines, but perhaps not all the options (or models). In particular, I noticed that there are three options as far as what video card you can put in the machine. Video cards are often the source of those pesky -6042 errors, especially the more powerful ones. The less powerful card might be the better way to go for Digi compatibility. On the other hand, perhaps the supposedly improved PCI bus throughput and the 4x AGP might make this a moot point.

There are also big question marks in terms of SCSI cards, expansion chassis, video capture cards, serial port adapters, MIDI interfaces, floppy drives, etc.

It might be exciting to take a gamble. Everything might work out fine. Then again, you might end up with cards and hardware that you won't be able to use.

I'm thinking 2001 might be the year I abandon my trusty 9600/350, but I'm going to wait until a few more pieces fall into place.

Keep us posted on how things work when your machine arrives.

Lee Blaske
Old 01-12-2001, 10:55 AM

It's my experience that the only possible way to have any assurances or confidence whatsoever in any type of computer / workstation scenario is to see the exact configuration of what you intend to buy demonstrated to you by a retailer. We all know how temperamental these workstations can be when interfacing with all manners of different equipment from different manufacturers. It seems to me that you are taking an extraordinary risk, which I do hope works out for you, that everything will come together to work the way that you want it to. It's not a bad idea to assume that nothing will work at all unless otherwise proven before your very eyes.
Old 01-12-2001, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Testing is going along nicely. We will be posting a status report and timetable to the Compatibility Documents the way we did with the last round of G4s. We did feel it was important to put the information up as quickly as possible that we have not completed testing on the new G4s. As you know, Digidesign is quite precise in our 100+ page compatibility documents about what exactly is "supported", meaning fully tested and approved.

------------------
Bruce Paine
Digidesign
Old 01-12-2001, 11:52 PM

apple is definately not droppimg the mp g4.their only holding off on them(except for the new 533 special configuration wich you got) until theyve worked out manufacturing the new g4's

and os 10 will aid in mp.logic and cubase already use mp and altivec.

also think logically here, why wouldnt the new g4's work just fine with your hardware?im guessing it should work fine.im sure digidesign is just going through the usual procedures here.

enjoy your new mac
Old 01-14-2001, 07:54 PM

Hey, first of sll I don't think that PT won't work with your DP. It won't use all the power of those two processors, but that is a matter of (small) time. OS X is coming on march, and Digidesign will release it's X compatible version just after, so, don't worry, be happy.
Old 01-14-2001, 09:51 PM

thanks for the responses.
as i said, i spoke to digi about 2 minutes after i panicked and posted this topic.

i was relieved to find that they are working hard on testing the new g4 and things are running smoothly. i was told that even if there is a problem, it would certainly be remedied by digi soon anyway.

i just wanted to be sure that things would be cool. i've been comfortably using my PC DAW for years, but wanted to do Pro Tools on a mac since the platform has been supported for so long. it was completely freaky to find that my computer (which i don't even have yet) has not been given the go-ahead by digi automatically.

on the other hand, it's great to know that digi is being so thorough. so, even though my 001 is still in the box, i'm still anxious to get that mac here and start using PT.

also very excited about PT LE 5.1 and OS X support of dual processors...

anxious, very anxious....