How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 05-15-2013, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Is This the Date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
I wish I could say the same about AltoMusic.
I live about 3 hours from them, drove down to check preamps, cash in hand, told me I needed to call ahead and make an appointment so they could set the stuff up. Dude wouldn't budge so I walked away got to the parking lot and called sweetwater.
Called a couple of weeks ago to check out some Focals, calling ahead this time!!
When mentioning my previous experience, just happened to be talking to the same dude that turned me away on my last trip, I got quick attitude and told that they have Focals on display and I don't need an appointment.
Needless to say I got off the phone with him and called sweetwater again.
I'm no big fish or anything but that just didn't seem right to me. I asked a few Pros in the area and they looked at me sideways when I told them I had cash in hand and was turned away because I didn't have an appointment.

I really wanted to support a New York shop but with the 2 strikes I just can't.
I have a few purchases coming up that need to be made in the next few months and I'll give them a try one more time but I have to say 3 strikes and your out with me!!!
When I went to Sam Ash in NYC it was nice to be able to walk into their room and not be stopped at the door like I was going to stick a C24 in my pocket and walk out the door.
Ask for Jon Haber next time, you will get outstanding service. Any business has bad apples.

Sweetwater will never give you the prices that Alto will!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 05-16-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Ask for Jon Haber next time, you will get outstanding service. Any business has bad apples.

No But if you going to go with mail order "Wind Over The Earth" will meat or beat Alto and you will be supporting really good small brick and mortar shop that ships any where.

http://www.windovertheearth.com/Pgear.html

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-16-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
I wish I could say the same about AltoMusic.
I live about 3 hours from them, drove down to check preamps, cash in hand, told me I needed to call ahead and make an appointment so they could set the stuff up. Dude wouldn't budge so I walked away got to the parking lot and called sweetwater.
Called a couple of weeks ago to check out some Focals, calling ahead this time!!
When mentioning my previous experience, just happened to be talking to the same dude that turned me away on my last trip, I got quick attitude and told that they have Focals on display and I don't need an appointment.
Needless to say I got off the phone with him and called sweetwater again.
I'm no big fish or anything but that just didn't seem right to me. I asked a few Pros in the area and they looked at me sideways when I told them I had cash in hand and was turned away because I didn't have an appointment.

I really wanted to support a New York shop but with the 2 strikes I just can't.
I have a few purchases coming up that need to be made in the next few months and I'll give them a try one more time but I have to say 3 strikes and your out with me!!!
When I went to Sam Ash in NYC it was nice to be able to walk into their room and not be stopped at the door like I was going to stick a C24 in my pocket and walk out the door.
You know it's interesting to hear stories like this, I haven't done anywhere near as much business with alto as people like EJ, but I have bought from them a few times, obviously not in person though. Every time they were great. It really seems to me that the vast majority of retail pro audio dealers these days are much better to deal with over the phone/internet than in person. The main thing I think is that a sales floor employee is probably paid very poorly or not at all by the hour, so if they don't sell a lot they don't make any money. To them, whatever requires the least amount of work to sell in the shortest amount of time will allow them to move on to the next customer faster, which means more money. So what's easier to sell, an keyboard or guitar that you just leave the customer to play with, or a piece of pro gear that requires hooking up, and probably a bit of explanation? So few pro audio pieces can really be demonstrated to their full extent on a sales floor anyways, most of this stuff needs to be in your own studio for you to really assess it properly. I think when you deal with online sales, you're much more likely to be targeted to the right sales person. Instead of getting a floor salesperson that's looking to sell anything and everything in the store, you get a very specialized person that knows exactly what you are buying and why.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:33 AM

If I was going to drive 3 hours to demo some preamps, I'd make arrangements first.
Alto's pro audio guys are often times doing setups at other locations (sound stages, studios).
Most places don't have Manleys, Chandlers, etc. set up for demo purposes.
I've done business with Alto nearly exclusively for 4 years.
My guy is Bobby Montemurro, but I 've dealt with Jon Haber (the owner) many times as well.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-16-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post

I'd be careful with such statement, each store has their own discounted price on some things.

As an example

Artist Mix comparison
Alto Music 1499$
Sweetwater 1259.99$

Genelec 8040
Alto music 1309$
Sweetwater 1309$

In general their prices are equal from the searches I made.

Not saying Alto isn't a good store, just stating that prices rarely will vary in a big way from one big supplier to an other.

Wave-T.com
Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 AM

There's a big difference between advertised price and the price someone will sell something for.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
There's a big difference between advertised price and the price someone will sell something for.

Absolutely, but then again to the majority of people, the advertized prices is what they get. You have to be a good paying customer before you start getting the dealers discounts

Wave-T.com
Old 05-16-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Absolutely, but then again to the majority of people, the advertized prices is what they get. You have to be a good paying customer before you start getting the dealers discounts
I would posit that the majority of people pay MAP because they don't haggle. I used to go into GC and offer 10% over dealer cost on items, they'd say no, but usually stop me before I hit the door and counter offer.
The answer is always no if you don't ask.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:26 PM

I've had nothing but great customer service experiences and amazing prices with Alto. I usually deal with Anthony or Jon.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
No But if you going to go with mail order "Wind Over The Earth" will meat or beat Alto and you will be supporting really good small brick and mortar shop that ships any where.

http://www.windovertheearth.com/Pgear.html
Interesting you mention wind over the earth. I got an e-mail from them out of the blue just this past week. I don't like unsolicited e-mail and I don't know them or their sales guy from Adam.

Agree Alto can be weird in the "pro shop". I like sweetwater because I can get it quickly and return it. Got my Focals from Sweetwater before many others had them.

I purchase from Vintage King as well because I get better prices. I bought my HDX system through them

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.