Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2013, 09:05 PM

Default ProTools 10 upgrade

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've been a Window/Linux guy my whole life, but I thought I'd switch to MAC for my new home studio. So, I got a MAC with a 2.5Ghz Core i5 with 4 GB 1333Mhz DDR3 memory and it's got OSX version 10.7.3. The guy at Guitar Center said this would work perfectly with the MBox Pro package, So, I purchased the MBox Pro with came with Pro Tools 9 with a free promised upgrade to PT10.

I was thinking this was going to be smoother and easier than my Sonar software on Windows, but it's not. I've never been more frustrated in my life. I can't even get the software installed.

I installed the device driver software for the firewire. The PT software just won't install. It gets halfway through and then says the installation failed because of an error. It doesn't tell me what the error is or why it occurred. I followed the instructions in the manual. My i-lok is in. The driver software is in.

Also, I tried to download my free upgrade to PT10 and couldn't even find it.

This just seems ridiculous to me. I spend close to $1,000 on this stuff and it won't even install? I'm no technical dummy either. I used to work in tech support for Windows. I always thought of MACs as nicer and more trouble-free than Windows, but stuff like this NEVER happens in Windows. All you have to do to install a program is Windows is click the installation icon. It does everything else for you.

Also, it seems like if they advertise a free upgrade to PT10, they'd make that information readily available on their website. I've spent 5 or 6 hours just trying to install some version of protools. I opened a support ticket and they just closed it out without helping. wtf.

I'm honestly shocked. I thought Avid was better than this. What hoops am I not jumping through? Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some insight on how I can install PT10 on Mac OS X? I'd appreciate any help. I'm very close to just selling this stuff on Ebay and getting something that isn't difficult to install.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:23 PM

Default Re: ProTools 10 upgrade

I've never ever had to do anything but click install on any installation of a new program that I've ever done on any of my Mac's. I feel that I'm safe to say that this is the same for pretty much every other Mac owner here. Something is amiss with your setup but it is highly unlikely that it is the fact that your computer is a Mac.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikejohnson View Post
I'm hoping someone can help me. I've been a Window/Linux guy my whole life, but I thought I'd switch to MAC for my new home studio. So, I got a MAC with a 2.5Ghz Core i5 with 4 GB 1333Mhz DDR3 memory and it's got OSX version 10.7.3. The guy at Guitar Center said this would work perfectly with the MBox Pro package, So, I purchased the MBox Pro with came with Pro Tools 9 with a free promised upgrade to PT10.

I was thinking this was going to be smoother and easier than my Sonar software on Windows, but it's not. I've never been more frustrated in my life. I can't even get the software installed.

I installed the device driver software for the firewire. The PT software just won't install. It gets halfway through and then says the installation failed because of an error. It doesn't tell me what the error is or why it occurred. I followed the instructions in the manual. My i-lok is in. The driver software is in.

Also, I tried to download my free upgrade to PT10 and couldn't even find it.

This just seems ridiculous to me. I spend close to $1,000 on this stuff and it won't even install? I'm no technical dummy either. I used to work in tech support for Windows. I always thought of MACs as nicer and more trouble-free than Windows, but stuff like this NEVER happens in Windows. All you have to do to install a program is Windows is click the installation icon. It does everything else for you.

Also, it seems like if they advertise a free upgrade to PT10, they'd make that information readily available on their website. I've spent 5 or 6 hours just trying to install some version of protools. I opened a support ticket and they just closed it out without helping. wtf.

I'm honestly shocked. I thought Avid was better than this. What hoops am I not jumping through? Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some insight on how I can install PT10 on Mac OS X? I'd appreciate any help. I'm very close to just selling this stuff on Ebay and getting something that isn't difficult to install.
Hi,

Have you created an Avid account and registered your products? You make no mention of how you are trying to upgrade your version to pt10!

Pro Tools 9 install disk won't install onto 10.7.3 you need version 10 which is now at version 10.3.3.

I guess the guitar Center told you all this?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:34 PM

Don't try to install PT9, you don't need to. PT10 is a full installer.

Before you do anything, you should update your Mac to 10.7.5 from 10.7.3.

When you register both your hardware and your software activation code, you will get an automated email with instructions. When you register the software code, you will be asked for your Ilok account name. Afterwards, the PT10 Ilok license will be sent to your Ilok account. You go into your Ilok account and download the license to your Ilok.

Separately, you'll go into your Avid account and download the installer for PT 10.3.3. Then run the installer and you should be fine.

For future reference, always double check what someone says at Guitar Center by asking on here first.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:15 PM

I had a salesman at GC tell me a Fender Frontman was a tube amp
Old 02-20-2013, 02:51 AM

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it. I'll try out the suggestions. I took the guy at GC at his word because he seemed to really know his stuff. He talked about being a gear junky and said he had thousands of posts at gearslutz (which I have been reading a lot). He did say he wasn't a Mac guy and he uses different software. I guess I should have picked up on that. It's just that he was so knowledgable about everything else and he was the head of the department, so I figured he knew what he was talking about. I guess not. Thanks again!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 PM

Ughhh. Hoping for some more help.

I finally got the software installed. It's really not helpful that the installation guide specifically tells you not to go to the ilok site. I guess they didn't plan the free upgrade or something because it's literally impossible to install without setting up an ilok account.

My Mac won't update the OS. Tried four times. Says "file corrupted" or "aborted by user" every time it downloads the 2+ GB file. I'm not sure if not being able to update has anything to do with other issues. Seems strange that I'd be getting errors updating on a brand new computer though. I guess I'll keep trying. My i-phone never had any problems updating the OS.

Also, I can't get the MBox Pro to work. I installed the drivers from the PT9 disk. I don't know if you need different drivers for PT10, but I can't find them anywhere. Done a million searches. When I plug the Mbox into the firewire port, my computer crashes and I'm forced to reboot. The driver installed fine. Any idea why this is happening?

This is completely foreign to someone coming from Windows. When you plug a new device into Windows, it automatically installs the drivers for you. Apparently, when you plug a new device into a MAC, it crashes the computer.

So, I guess I'm wondering

1. How do I get the MBox Pro to not crash my computer and work with PT?
2. Is my inability to update the OS causing any problems?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:45 AM

Check on Apple's forums and/or contact Apple support or an Apple store genius bar for help with your OS X update issue.

What install instructions are you following or are you just floundering around in the dark? There is a full install manual PDF Titled "Pro Tools Installation" included with Pro Tools or is also on Avid's web site, easily findable via search (here: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...guide/en419211) . Follow those directions for installing Pro Tools, installing drivers, etc.

Download the latest Mbox drivers from here ... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Avid+Pro+Tools+Drivers&l=1

And no a Windows PC won't automatically install the drivers for the Mbox itself either.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:51 AM

I was just about to post that I found the latest drivers and that didn't fix it.

I'm following the install manual that came with the software I purchased. I guess my mistake is searching the avid support forums. I guess I should have gone to an internet search engine. I would have found the drivers faster that way.

If the OS issue isn't part of my Avid problems, I'm not even concerned with it right now. It doesn't seem likely the OS is conflicting with the drivers or Mbox.

I'm just trying to get my MBox to work. I followed the instructions that came with the MBox and it's just not working. I now have the latest and greatest firewire driver installed. As soon as I insert the Mbox into the firewire port on my MAC, the computer freezes and tells me I need to turn the computer off and reboot. If I have Mbox connected when I turn the computer on, the computer doesn't even boot.

My first thought was that it had to be the drivers. I guess that's not the case since I have the most current drivers. What else could it be? Any help on how to get the Mbox to work would be appreciated.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 AM

Default ProTools 10 upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikejohnson View Post
I was just about to post that I found the latest drivers and that didn't fix it.

I'm following the install manual that came with the software I purchased. I guess my mistake is searching the avid support forums. I guess I should have gone to an internet search engine. I would have found the drivers faster that way.

If the OS issue isn't part of my Avid problems, I'm not even concerned with it right now. It doesn't seem likely the OS is conflicting with the drivers or Mbox.

I'm just trying to get my MBox to work. I followed the instructions that came with the MBox and it's just not working. I now have the latest and greatest firewire driver installed. As soon as I insert the Mbox into the firewire port on my MAC, the computer freezes and tells me I need to turn the computer off and reboot. If I have Mbox connected when I turn the computer on, the computer doesn't even boot.

My first thought was that it had to be the drivers. I guess that's not the case since I have the most current drivers. What else could it be? Any help on how to get the Mbox to work would be appreciated.
You have a Mac that won't do an minor OS upgrade, and it hangs when the Mbox is connected. So one suspicion would be it is a sick Mac, you need to get sorted out why the OS won't upgrade and treat the Mac with suspicion, starting with doing a scan for disk errors. Take the exact error messages you are getting and search for them on Google, Apple support forums and here.

Its not clear *exactly* what error you are getting and when, are you getting a grey screen OS X crash?

And you are absolutely sure you are installing the latest drivers, old drivers had some issues.

Try the MBox out on another PC or Mac and see if it works.

Is Pro Tools 10.3.3 installing on this Mac? If you hold down the 'N' key while Pro Tools is starting and select 'built in output' as the payback engine does Pro Tools at least work through the Mac's speakers?

Darryl