Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2012, 04:42 PM

Default AVID iLok Service Replacement/Transfer Fee question

Hopefully someone has gone through this. I lost my ilok and I have a new one that I want to put my PT and plug-ins on. Based upon what I'm reading on the AVID shop for ASC:

Quote:
You have been advised to purchase this support transfer fee before our company amends ilok.com user ID errors or lost iLok license replacements. Please note that you will need to purchase 1 transfer fee for each affected license. This transaction is not refundable.

I have PT with the Producer Factory and the Instrument Expansion pack. Will I be required to spend $20 on each item or will they transfer them all for $20?

That's going to be very expensive if it's done the first way. With the intial service call, that's close to $400.

Has anyone else gone through this?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 PM

Default Re: AVID Ilok Service Replacement/Transfer Fee question

Seriously? No one has had to replace a lost ilok?
Old 07-27-2012, 10:24 AM

You need to go through official channels - having reported it lost to iLok, Avid, and any third party plugin vendors.

When you have contacted the various parties to report it lost, you must begin the RMA process with iLok.

With broken iLoks that are out of warranty, there is a flat fee for restoring the assets ($80 or there about, but free if still under warranty).

I would imagine that there could well be the same fee regarding lost iLoks (this is an iLok admin fee), but in either instance it's ultimately down to the individual vendors (Avid, third parties etc) whether they are going to issue free replacements for you, or if they are going to leave you to re-purchase anew.

That's my understanding of the situation.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:34 PM

Thanks Carl for the information. I don't know why you were the only one to respond.

So to update the thread (I know I would want to know how it ended), I will tell you it's was pretty painless. I RMA'd my ilok and they send you an email with an RMA#, than I bit the bullet and paid the 39$ for an Avid Support Code. Ouch. After spending about 20 minutes on hold I finally reached a representative. I told him I lost my ilok, he asked for my email address. It all came up on his screen. He said, "Ok" I see everything looks good, you should have all of your keys (see above for how many licenses I have) by the end of the day, no later than tomorrow. They arrived in my ilok account 3 minutes later.

I did not have to buy the replacement fee code (which is 20$ per license). I believe that only applies for people who never register their products with ilok but have a purchased product registration card.

So I had another ilok so that didn't cost me anything but for the people that don't have an ilok and can't do math:

ilok replacement 50$
ASC: 39.95
Total 89.95 at the cheapest.

Not a bad price considering I lost about $1500 worth of software. (Of course, all of my software was Avid so I can't comment to how difficult it is if you have other plugs.)
Old 06-25-2013, 01:02 PM

Default Re: AVID iLok Service Replacement/Transfer Fee question

This was very much helpful thank you! However, this was my experience.
After I could not find the right solution and process after I lost my iLok this is what happened to me.

First, file a RMA report on iLok.com. Got an email with my RMA details.

Then, at first I paid for both Avid Support Code ($39.95) and Service Transfer Fee ($20.00). Did not get my Avid Support Code in e-mail so I went online to retrieve ASC Details at http://avid.force.com/ASC

Got the email with ASC. Called them and waited for almost 30 minutes. Talked with a guy named Michael (who is awesome by the way) who asked for my RMA #.

He said that he was able to transfer all my licenses but that my ProTools 10 +9 bundle would take a day. Then when I get my iLok in the mail to download the iLok License Manager, which is a free download on iLok.com, which I can drag and drop my items onto new iLok.

Then I told him that I also bought the Service Transfer Fee and if that he had to use that. He told me that I could request a refund for both the Avid Support Code and Service Transfer Fee He was able to find an old and expired ASC that you actually get complimentary when you buy a ProTools product. Even though my ASC was expired I never used them and after the 60 days the ASC is good up for another year.
I also get a refund for the Service Transfer Fee because my iLok was already registered. I would only have to buy this if I never registered my iLok. So register your iLok!

He then transferred me to Avid Order Support. I got a lady who asked for my order #. I said I need a refund for two orders that I paid for unnecessarily. She said that I’d be sent a PDF in my email that I’d have to fill out and send via fax or email to process my refund.
I was on the phone for 44 minutes total.
Now I have to wait for new iLok, refund, and to see if I got my ProTools 10 +9 bundle license back.

So here is what all should do when you buy a iLok and lose it:
1. Register iLok.
2. File RMA report on iLok.com.
3. If you bought an Avid product recently go to http://avid.force.com/ASC to see if you have any Avid Support Code’s that haven’t expired.
4. If you do not have any AVC available buy one for the product you need help on. Go to http://shop.avid.com/store/category....-phone-support. I used Pro Tools software (LE, M-Powered, & standalone) for $39.95.
5. Do NOT buy the Service Transfer fee. Only buy it if you didn’t register iLok.

Hope this helps somebody like me who was crying like a big baby not knowing what to do and thinking that I was going to have to pay a lot of money!

-B