Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2019, 09:54 AM

Default Re: New CLA Plugin - Looks Very Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I'm on Windows too. The only problem I had in the past was with the licenses but that's an easy fix and you dont even have to close PT, but today was a new thing. That remind me, I still have to install the HD libraries
Had it happen on my Mac and the usual fix wouldn't work. Had to do a complete uninstall/reinstall of the plugins.

QAPLA!
Old 01-25-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
This thing is a cpu hog. I put it on 32 of 40 tracks in a version I did of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells with every section on CLA enabled. Made inactive all other plugins in the session. Everything is either audio or aux tracks. No active vi's.

Hit play.
Instant 9173.

Restarted the session and went up in blocks of 8 instances on individual tracks again with all other plugins in the session made inactive.
8 instances no problem
16 instances no problem
24 instances no problem.
now in 2 track blocks:
26 instances total cpu meter several times went into red and hit almost 100%
28 instances - played for about 6 minutes and then got a 9173
29 instances - instant 9173

Remember that this is with every other plugin in the session (10 total with Eventide Ultraverb on an aux fed by two tracks and a smattering of other plugins). When I enabled all those plugins 24 instances of CLA flirted with major red indications on the total cpu meter. Gave it a couple of minutes and then a 9173.

This is all on the 2012 Mac cheesegrater in my profile. I have no doubt a more modern machine will do better. This is one plugin that definitely screams for dsp

I'm not surprised its CPU heavy, given all that it is doing.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I'm not surprised its CPU heavy, given all that it is doing.
True that but it also means getting just 32 instances of this plugin going is going to be a challenge for even muscular machines. I wonder if Waves ever gave that a thought? Or were they hoping people would go for their SoundGrid h/w and run it that way

All I know is it won't remain on my machine much longer except to test for someone.

QAPLA!
Old 01-25-2019, 12:59 PM

Smile Re: New CLA Plugin - Looks Very Cool

Quote:
... Or were they hoping people would go for their SoundGrid h/w and run it that way

All I know is it won't remain on my machine much longer except to test for someone.
Agree with your thoughts for sure!

I read that each channel has one insert for a plugin but it said Waves plugin so has anyone tried this and does it work? And is it only for Waves plugins as an option for that insert?

Thanks for all the great info here guys

Really Appreciate it and as far as what troubles I seen I am rethinking installing this at all as we have the real deal hardware SSL 4000G+ console and all the UAD-2 emulations aswell as Slate emulations and of course the Softube Console1 mk2 gear with all their emulations which are AMAZING!! Especially the new BC and US emulations. Fantastic and the latest US version of the console emulation doesn’t even need the Console1 unit so maybe we will skip this for now thinking how many emulations of our SSL desk do we need ... and if it draws so much CPU for just 24 tracks it is DOA IMNSHO of course.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-25-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
True that but it also means getting just 32 instances of this plugin going is going to be a challenge for even muscular machines. I wonder if Waves ever gave that a thought? Or were they hoping people would go for their SoundGrid h/w and run it that way

I think this is mainly designed for taking a 8tr drumkit into control. Maybe later when someone invents infinite track count with infinite plugin processing, but i'm fine with it if it makes mixing a drum kit easier.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Agree with your thoughts for sure!

I read that each channel has one insert for a plugin but it said Waves plugin so has anyone tried this and does it work? And is it only for Waves plugins as an option for that insert?

Thanks for all the great info here guys

Really Appreciate it and as far as what troubles I seen I am rethinking installing this at all as we have the real deal hardware SSL 4000G+ console and all the UAD-2 emulations aswell as Slate emulations and of course the Softube Console1 mk2 gear with all their emulations which are AMAZING!! Especially the new BC and US emulations. Fantastic and the latest US version of the console emulation doesn’t even need the Console1 unit so maybe we will skip this for now thinking how many emulations of our SSL desk do we need ... and if it draws so much CPU for just 24 tracks it is DOA IMNSHO of course.
Yes the insert does work and yes it's for Waves plugins only. And depending on what you put in their it really sucks up the cpu power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I think this is mainly designed for taking a 8tr drumkit into control. Maybe later when someone invents infinite track count with infinite plugin processing, but i'm fine with it if it makes mixing a drum kit easier.
It would seem so but I've already seen a few videos of this on YouTube where it's used on other than drums - ProTools Expert (or whatever they're calling themselves these days) and at least one other video has it on other instruments. I think even CLA's video has it on not just drums.

If anyone else needs me to run some tests - within reason of course - let me know and I'll try and accomodate as time allows.

QAPLA!
Old 01-25-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Agree and will add possibly stem mixing
Old 01-26-2019, 04:00 AM

I finally tried it and I really liked it, it's normal SSL EChannel with this bucket system that is really easy to get use to, plus a few more useful additions. The sound is great and I was able to run 8 instances (I didn't try more) on my computer without any hiccups
Old 01-26-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I finally tried it and I really liked it, it's normal SSL EChannel with this bucket system that is really easy to get use to, plus a few more useful additions. The sound is great and I was able to run 8 instances (I didn't try more) on my computer without any hiccups
Yeah eight is easy but if one wants to use all 32 or even fewer (say 24) with the usual load of plugins one uses (including a reverb) it really flirts with pushing out a 9173 error with the PT cpu meter bouncing in and out of red and near 100%.

If this is really meant to be used as and give a feel as a console like CLA says in his video then I should be able to use all 32 channels at once without having a super computer to run it (or SoundGrid dsp). Or do I treat it like an SSL 924/948 and ignore the other 8 channels?

While it's a neat option with the compressor and also disappointed they didn't put in the full complement of controls his 1176 has. Would have been simple to put them in in place of the console comp's controls when the button is pushed. Or at least give us a variable attack control and not just the little button.

QAPLA!
Old 01-26-2019, 04:22 AM

I guess we'll have to wait a few years until this plugin is considered 'light' like most older stuff now
About the 1176, that seems to be CLA go-to settings and the truth is it works almost anywhere, if you really feel like experimenting you can always bypass the module and use the other CLA-76 but for what I've experienced, the most important control on the 1176 is the release, I either use fast or slowish attack.